AVG doesn't like SpamCop

MyNameHere

Hi. I recently got AVG Internet Security and had a couple of occasions to contact tech support.

AVG tech support has been responsive and helpful, by the way.

But my problem is the AVG web page for submitting a problem report.

It will not allow me to enter my SpamCop email address. It tells me it is not a valid address. So I have to enter an alternative address that I would prefer not to use.

I reported that a couple of times and all I have gotten is a boilerplate response saying that I am registered with the SpamCop address but if I want to change it I can let them know. Arrrrrgh!

Any thoughts?

<_<

There are several services that included in their filters any address containing the word spam. I guess this is to keep clever email bombers from filling their inbox with spam. It also causes people with spamCop mail problems as you have noted.

If I understand correctly appon request an alternate email address can be obtained without the word spam in it. Check with support for the email side of things.

Sounds like SC (mail) should officially try to hit AVG (and a number of others) with a clue stick - too many instances just lately of this kind of idiocy. Unless, with AVG, it is just a matter of what they think are "illegal characters" in the address. Like "+"?

Don't get me wrong, idiots have their uses. By the displacement of air equal to the volume they occupy:

• they accordingly make the atmosphere deeper than it otherwise would be (probably by a molecule's depth per idiot, I haven't actually done the calculation but Avogadro's Number comes into it somewhere)
    • then, a proportion of oxygen O2 in the upper layers is subject to disassociation and recombination as ozone O3
    • thus, with sufficient idiots the hole in the ozone layer might be repaired

[*]anyway, idiots breed (relatively) quickly

[*]to the extent of a genetic component, their eventual preponderance may be inevitable

But I very much doubt anyone would be worried about the ozone layer then. But I digress.

As Lou suggests, you might ask JT if you can switch to a cesmail.net address but that might be inconvenient, with address change notifications and all. I guess most AVG supporters in a similar bind would be thinking of a free e-mail account to use in the AVG report form at that point. Are hotmail/yahoo/gmail addresses accepted?

.... Unless, with AVG, it is just a matter of what they think are "illegal characters" in the address. Like "+"?

Don't get me wrong, idiots have their uses. By the displacement of air equal to the volume they occupy:

• they accordingly make the atmosphere deeper than it otherwise would be (probably by a molecule's depth per idiot, I haven't actually done the calculation but Avogadro's Number comes into it somewhere)
    • then, a proportion of oxygen O2 in the upper layers is subject to disassociation and recombination as ozone O3
    • thus, with sufficient idiots the hole in the ozone layer might be repaired

[*]anyway, idiots breed (relatively) quickly

[*]to the extent of a genetic component, their eventual preponderance may be inevitable

But I very much doubt anyone would be worried about the ozone layer then. But I digress.

LOL!!!

Anyway, I don't have any special characters in my address, so it must be the "spam" thing. Although I can't see how looking for "spam" in the email address would matter, 'cause who is going to advertise "hey, this message is spam!"? Maybe AVG has a domain check and SpamCop is blocked for some reason.

I have another address I have been using to communicate with AVG tech support, but I wish I could use SpamCop. And changing to cesmail would be too inconvenient.

Funny thing is, AVG allowed me to use the SpamCop address when registering the software but won't accept it in their tech support submissions.

Oh, well.

:huh:

Funny thing is, AVG allowed me to use the SpamCop address when registering the software but won't accept it in their tech support submissions.

I know I noticed this a while back and thought I had documented it here but I have not used AVG for about 3 years now and can not think of the discussion I was responding to.

I know I noticed this a while back and thought I had documented it here but I have not used AVG for about 3 years now and can not think of the discussion I was responding to.
You mentioned they were not accepting spamcop.net addresses for registration in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=20794

Seems they actually are allowing it now but not for their support form. I'm not sure if that is an improvement or not. Unless *you* were trying to use the "+" character in your registration address at that time. As we know, many services deviate from the RFCs by being intolerant of certain non-alphanumeric characters (a variable list) in address strings.

Anyway, hopefully this topic will register enough keyword hits to be found again if there are future queries. And remembering that Geek's observation about only .com addresses being deemed legitimate in some circles has yet to be ruled out WRT AVG support, it could be *that's* their problem (which would still make them idiots :P)

Anyway, I don't have any special characters in my address, so it must be the "spam" thing. Although I can't see how looking for "spam" in the email address would matter, 'cause who is going to advertise "hey, this message is spam!"?

Actually, some of this mindset/condition/rule-setting stuff dates back to the time of the almost standard "This is not spam!" embedded content days.

Archived