Gmail spam Reporting Problem

weAponX

This is a brand new one on me... I've been using spam cop since it was Brand new, and I usually have no trouble reporting spam.

In this case, I got spam that actually DID originate from Gmail, rather than being spoofed.

When I try to report it, the Spamcop Engine reports that there is "No Originating IP Address"

Here are the headers with appropriate info x'd out:

Delivered-To: Address.that.was[at]spammed.gmail.com

Received: by XX.XXX.XX.X with SMTP id (SMTP ID);

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:19:35 -0700 (PDT)

MIME-Version: 1.0

Received: by 10.XXX.18.XX with SMTP id (SMTP ID).147.12X303XXX43X1; Tue,

15 Sep 2009 10:19:34 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:19:34 -0700

Message-ID: <3fXXX2cXXXXX151XXXq11913945weXXXXXXXeacab03[at]mail.gmail.com>

Subject: (subject)

To: Address.that.was[at]spammed.gmail.com

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=001636e8ffcf74e2080473a0fc60

--001636e8ffcf74e2080473a0fc60

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=001636e8ffcf74e2010473a0fc5e

--001636e8ffcf74e2010473a0fc5e

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

(Body of spam)

Is this some feature of Gmail, as you can see there is an address:

Received: by 10.XXX.18.XX

Now, that is the person who was spammed?

I guess there is no Originating IP in there.

If there is no resolution for this, if Gmail hides the originating IP, then so be it.

I'll probably end up just reporting it direct to Gee Mail.

-Thank you for any information!

If I read your post right, the message originated from a gmail user and was sent to a gmail user, so it never left the Google domain. I can't infer much from this header because I don't know how Google processes mail internally. The IP address (in 10.x.x.x subnet) is an unrouteable "private" address, so SpamCop cannot "see" it. Hence, SpamCop finds no reportable addresses and can't help you with this message.

You're left to the tender mercies of Google to take care of this matter.

-- rick

In this case, I got spam that actually DID originate from Gmail, rather than being spoofed.

When I try to report it, the Spamcop Engine reports that there is "No Originating IP Address"

Here are the headers with appropriate info x'd out:

Is this some feature of Gmail, as you can see there is an address:

Concur with Rick. All the stuff you worked so hard to mung was data generated by GMail servers themselves, handling e-mail generated by a user connection to one GMail server that was addressed to another GMail user. Ass al traffic was 'internal' to the GMail system, there is nothing there for the SpamCop.net parser to try to track for an 'internet' source of the e-mail. Again, as Rick stated, the 10.x.x.x IP Block is set aside for 'internal' networks, non-routable across the internet.

For example, one of my GMail-to-GMail e-mailes shows Received: by 10.210.37.12 with SMTP .. yet in reality, there are probably thousands of systems using the IP Address of 10.210.37.12, but in this case, it's only recognizable/usable by a certain section of a GMail server farm.

• 1 year later...

Google doesn't make it very easy to report spam - they have a form that is cut-and-paste.

Personally, I'd suggest Spamcop identify the spam as having its origin in Gmail and push the complaint to Google. They almost otherwise never (seem to) respond to spam complaints - I've had incidents that continued for weeks (even months) before I saw it go away. Sure they have a good filter that manages to catch "most" of it, stuffing those in the Junk folder... but still.

Does anyone know if IPs or blocks thereof have been blocked from accessing Gmail before? I'd be interested to hear if they have taken to those measures.

Since spam can be target specific, it would be nice if they had some more sophisticated spam controls that the end user could fine-tune. Even a blacklist where IPs and blocks and addresses could be inserted to reject.

Personally, I'd suggest Spamcop identify the spam as having its origin in Gmail and push the complaint to Google. They almost otherwise never (seem to) respond to spam complaint

The point is that the SC parser is not able to identify that this is a Gmail issue because the 10.x.x.x IP number could be any 'private' router/server anywhere in the world. So the automated process in the parser fails. That means that human intervention is needed and that's you in this case ;)

Use the Gmail spam filtering process in the Gmail web interface and that should get these messages marked as spam.

Andrew

Archived