Hat Check Please: looksomething.com

cwg

Are they whitehat or blackhat?

-----

To: <reports.spamcop.net>

Subject: Spamcop report id:5905023392

Hello SpamCop user,

This email was not spam. There was a link in the bottom of the email that you could use to unsubscribe and of course our contact details were there too. We have collected this mailing list with several actions and campaigns we have made through internet.

Please inform us which is your email so we can remove it from the list

--

Please use the link below to review the report in question:

Spamcop Report ID 5905023392

Well, they're not on SURBL or URIBL or any other BL that robtex consults - http://dns.robtex.com/looksomething.com.html#blacklists

Their rDNS is wrong but I don''t know that there is anything underhand in that:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>nslookup looksomething.com 8.8.8.8

Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: looksomething.com

Address: 77.235.62.176

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>nslookup -type=ptr 77.235.62.176 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:

176.62.235.77.in-addr.arpa name = livepolis.com

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>nslookup livepolis.com 8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to google-public-dns-a.google.com timed-out

I would say that their "We have collected this mailing list with several actions and campaigns we have made through internet." offers absolutely no assurance of legitimate collection (implies quite the opposite to me) but that they don't seem to me to be real pests - maybe just a bit lazy at worst (2 reports in the past 90 days, per petzl's link, common association with 3ds.gr/interworks.biz - who might be more problematic - is maybe confined to those two cases with smtp.interworks.biz [178.23.72.50] as sender, no other evidence seen). If it was me, I think I would simply use the "unsubscribe" link.

Maybe I'm just a touch mellow today having almost submitted a "bad" report about a firm I dealt with some 6-7 month s ago (and forgotten all about in the meantime). They had no permission to contact me again but I remembered just in time and I'm sure the "unsubscribe" will work in that case - though of course I never subscribed in the accepted sense in the first place.

Maybe I'm just a touch mellow today having almost submitted a "bad" report about a firm I dealt with some 6-7 month s ago (and forgotten all about in the meantime). They had no permission to contact me again but I remembered just in time and I'm sure the "unsubscribe" will work in that case - though of course I never subscribed in the accepted sense in the first place.

A lot of a spammers email lists are taken from hacked computers of people you know

unsubscribe particularly with Brazil spammers just confirm your email Addy

Best way to unsubscribe is report them until they stop

This email was not spam.

How may spam have you received that start 'Please Read, this is not spam'?

There was a link in the bottom of the email that you could use to unsubscribe and of course our contact details were there too.

Including this in what could be spam, could be just part of "sheep's clothing" (wolf in...).

We have collected this mailing list with several actions and campaigns we have made through internet.

I agree Steve, those words make me wonder too. Doesn't sound like an opt-in, surely not a double opt-in list.

Please inform us which is your email so we can remove it from the list

How may time here has the advise been given to not use unsubscribe which may only validates your addy?

All this really has nothing to do with what is or is not spam.

I am the admin from www.looksomething.com.

We have seen the complaint and we want to inform you that you can always unsubscribe by pressing the unsubscribe button. In other case just email or report to us (marketing[at]looksomething.com) your email and we will unsubscribe you manually.

We do not want to create a problem. We are using email lists we have collected from contests to facebook and newsletter registration from our websites. If someone else entered your email we are really sorry. Just click unsubscribe to our email and you will not be bothered again.

Regards

Grigoriadis Kostas

www.looksomething.com

I am the admin from www.looksomething.com.
...Thanks for dropping by and posting an explanation.
<snip>

you can always unsubscribe by pressing the unsubscribe button.

...From our perspective, that is not good practice! It merely confirms for real spammers that our e-mail addresses are valid and that we are reading our e-mails, making our e-mail addresses valuable for sale to other spammers and thus perpetrating the problem. Please don't expect spam victims to unsubscribe to e-mails to which they did not subscribe! Thank you for understanding.
In other case just email or report to us (marketing[at]looksomething.com) your email and we will unsubscribe you manually.

<snip>

...That practice is called List Washing and is not advisable for the same reason that unsubscribing from e-mails to which one did not subscribe is not advisable.

...If you are interested in looking into "best practices" for building a clean subscription list, please see the following entries from the SpamCop FAQ:

Archived