3/29 System Outage and Maint

The system is down. We are going to also do some reconfig and maint. Expect the system to be down thru the evening.

gawd how I "love" the advanced warnings you gave us here in the forum & via the twitter feed...

yes, sarcasm mode is full on.... :angry:

INSERT HERE A GOOD DEAL OF OFFENSIVE PROFANITY! NOT EVEN THE SIMPLE COURTESY OF KEEPING INDEX.HTML UP SO THAT PAYING USERS CAN FIND OUT WHY THEIR EMAILS WON'T COPY TO THE SENT FOLDER. WHICH SEEMS TO BE THE USUAL MODE OF "COMMUNCIATION." JERKS!

OK, forum mods, it's time to remove the restriction about talking about other email providers. I don't give a flying **** if JT pulls the plug on this whole thing--we all need to move our business elsewhere you you need to get out of our way.

DT

OK, forum mods, it's time to remove the restriction about talking about other email providers. I don't give a flying **** if JT pulls the plug on this whole thing--we all need to move our business elsewhere you you need to get out of our way.

DT

"> This is a User to User Support Forum

The primary mode of support here is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. (please remember this at all times!)

Another try:

This forum is composed of people who have used spamcop and those who are learning about anti-spam efforts."

yet when we try to help each other because cesmail direct support is laughable, the mods "squelch" our voices. I have come to the conclusion that cesmail is an "after-thought" or a "hobby", and as such can no longer be considered a serious nor a viable provider.

Out of the over 88,000 posts on this forum only 148 or so are from email_support that's 0.1682% of the posts. That's a VERY clear indication, to me at least, that we, the paid subscribers, are NOT their primary focus, if we ever were...

"your mileage may vary"... :angry:

What isn't clear from this morning's announcement (which hasn't yet been posted to the SpamCop Email System News page, BTW) is whether or not this was planned. Saying "the system is down" is just stating the obvious. "We are going to also do..." implies that the system crashed yet again, and because of that, they decided to do something other than the obvious "Band-Aid fixes" they've been doing recently.

Disgusted

What isn't clear from this morning's announcement (which hasn't yet been posted to the SpamCop Email System News page, BTW) is whether or not this was planned. Saying "the system is down" is just stating the obvious. "We are going to also do..." implies that the system crashed yet again, and because of that, they decided to do something other than the obvious "Band-Aid fixes" they've been doing recently.

Disgusted

email_support's response to us will be silence....

and they think we'll be like Eeyore "not that it matters, or that anyone cares"...

WRONG, it does matter & I do care.

Their complete disdain for their client base is absolutely pathetic.

A happy customer tells a few folks, I was a happy customer & told others, some became subscribers.

I'm no longer "happy", I've tried via private email, I've tried via this forum, I've tried via PM's here too, as well as the twitter feed. Guess what, I'm tellin' EVERYONE I'm not happy.

It isn't like I haven't tried, repeatedly, and in good faith. I've wanted and wished for cesmail to get their "act together", and & I've waited, hoping & praying... to no avail.

My gawd, perhaps this entire vehement diatribe could have been avoided if cesmail would have just COMMUNICATED, with us here, with me via email or PM...

I get it, when your up to your butt in alligators it's hard to remember that your initial objective was to drain the damned swamp... but WE the paying CUSTOMERS to whom cesmail is "supposedly" providing a SERVICE are up to our butts too when cesmail goes down. We deserve BETTER than what we've been receiving, both in quality of service provided, AND in COMMUNICATION from cesmail when the problems have occurred.

Until now, I've refrained from divulging any email response from cesmail support, but here it is, my request & their "answer"... Judge for yourselves....

Gentlemen:

As a very long term subscriber, I am dismayed by the recent, and increasing frequency of outages. Further I am appalled by the lack of communication, the length of time it takes for cesmail to acknowledge the outage, the lack of details about the cause of the outage, lack of timely updates during the outages, and lack of details about the resolution.

My faith in cesmail has been shaken to the core.

Please respond, addressing the above listed concerns, and help me

regain a measure of confidence that cesmail is the correct email provider for me.

Regards,

John

SpamCop Support <support-cases[at]spamcop.net>

Hi - I apologize for the outages. I post in the forums - http://forum.spamcop.net in the email news section regarding the recent outages. We endeavor to post timely information as we know it on the forum, the front page of the webmail login and on twitter (cesmail_status).

My two cents here :unsure:

Getting real disgusted here, unless some major changes occur pretty quickly then I am leaving also. I can't deal the stress and aggravation of outages that SHOULD NOT be occurring. I mean come on at this point a paid Yahoo email account is looking better at this moment and that's pretty bad.

I suggest every take a seriously look at <snip name of another provider> account at this point of time You do have many options then using a cesmal.net who still doesn't offer 2FA which clearly they should since they are against ,spammers , hackers and phisher-man who will try to hijack accounts

I use <snip name of another provider> and they use two factor authentication , my account can not be hacked into, it's almost impossible unless the attacker does a man-in-middle attack to grab the text message. Why hasn't cesmail.net implemented this type of service. I am a super strong believer of using two factor authentication or security tokens to access accounts now and days. Cesmail.net is still stuck in the past and the service hasn't changed much in ten years. Shouldn't that tell you something?

My real question to Jeff is if he has given any information to the N.S.A. and to tell all his users how secure their accounts real are? Has he received any subpena's , search warrants or N.S.L.? Clearly the information in our accounts are not fully encrypted which are stored in plain text. Are the log-in passwords encrypted and salted ? I would like a answer to this one, let's see if anyone responds

I was not aware that <snip name of another provider> provided email services.

As to two-factor authentication, will it allow access by Thunderbird as a client?

They do , I use their mail accounts (utilizing their MX record on a sub-domain) which send out messages using a proxy server. <snip name of another provider> does allow full SMTP access ( proxy server,SSL) for using Thunderbird.

<snip URL of another provider>

Spamcop Mail System News page: http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php

This page didn't used to be reachable if the mail system was unavailable, but at some point in the past that changed, perhaps after I made several requests to Jeff T. to host the page somewhere else so it was useful in an outage.

It does have to be updated, however, to be useful...

I just checked the email is forwarding through, you just can't access the website.

I'm confused. Are you suggesting <snip name of another provider>, <snip name of another provider> or <snip name of another provider>?

{

Also, 80 years IS pretty young for proper grokking. ;)

}

The domain <snip name of another provider> is part of <snip name of another provider>, which allows you to register domain names under ICANN. You might want to check out a paid <snip name of another provider> account just for using email. :D

I just checked the email is forwarding through, you just can't access the website.

Yes. But my point is -- this is supposed to be one way to get current news on the system status. If it is updated with said news, that is... which it still is not, as of this writing.

Cisco doesn't own cesmail.net, I thought we already established that fact

Precisely, which is why I find it ironic that the SpamCop reporting page (which is owned by Cisco) has a friendlier message than CESmail has given us.

(I realize people are getting testy, so let's all take a deep breath.)

Explanation of what? Is there information there about the outage?

No, not really...just this:

CESmail reports ongoing problems with their mail servers and expect to have the service down

through most of the Saturday as they reconfigure and upgrade systems to end these problems.

CESmail apologies in advance for the inconvenience.

(but "CESmail" didn't post that--it surely came from SpamCop's Deputies)

It's odd that text doesn't show up when I view that page.

Never mind. The message shows up when you're logged in.

It's reassuring that the maintenance will "end these problems". So CES mail will soon return to its normal condition of flawless operation. :)

Actually, SpamCop (Cisco) has a better explanation than CESmail. See here.

That link points (for me) to the main spamcop.net webpage and I don't see a thing about the email system being down.

In any event, the Email System News page my Dad can handle because I favorited it for him in his browser. All these other places to maybe find more information are not particularly helpful to him. He ought to be able to find out what's going on from the News page... system down *is* news, isn't it?

I jest received a "System is up;processing queued mail. System will go down for 1-2hrs for maint when all queued mail finishes processing" message.

Has anything been done to "reinforce" the system, or is it still subject to frequent outages?

Archived