More about Freeserve...

FS-user

Neither Freeserve nor SpamCop seem to be acting responsibly here.

Freeserve say "We're doing our best to stop spammers hosting with us"... but ther're not!

SpamCop say "It's not our problem"... but it is! (when SpamCop's product stops 2.6 million legitimate UK users communicating effectively).

My question is this: Is anyone at Freeserve and Spamcop actually talking to each other to resolve this crazy situation??!!

My question is this: Is anyone at Freeserve and Spamcop actually talking to each other to resolve this crazy situation??!!

Yes, I have had many discussions with their admins without success. The problem isn't so much with the number of spammers or amount of spam, rather it's with the way their servers are set up that is affecting their other users.

If they would follow the example set by other webmail providers, i.e. Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., and add a received line showing the IP address of the user connecting to their system, the user's IP would end up listed and not their servers.

As it is, SC can only trace the spam back to the Freeserve servers, so their servers get identified as the source and wind up listed when the stats exceed the listing thresholds.

BTW, this is the same issue as with the LaPoste and Rain.fr servers. It must be a European thing ;-)

Yes, I have had many discussions with their admins without

[...]

If they would follow the example set by other webmail providers, i.e. Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., and add a received line showing the IP address of the user connecting to their system, the user's IP would end up listed and not their servers.

As it is, SC can only trace the spam back to the Freeserve servers, so their servers get identified as the source and wind up listed when the stats exceed the listing thresholds.

But how does spamcop listing the IP address of a dialup or even that of an broadband internet cafe help ?

"Your mail has been blocked because someone sent spam from this IP address via Hotmail within the last 48 Hours"

Are ISPs supposed to block connections to webmail ?

(Lois Bujold reported something of the kind from New Zealand).

So, Richard, do I understand that if I ditch Freeserve and move to Hotmail or Yahoo I will not have the probelm of the whole mail server being blocked by SC?

I used to be be with Hotmail but gave up after receiving an average of about 50 spams a day. Do you know of any small web-mail operators that include the user's IP address in the message and who might not be a target for those who spam to "random.name[at]hotmail.com" or "random.name[at]yahoo.com"?

Appreciate your advice!

If Freeserve would just add in the originating IP address as was previously stated (and stated in the RFCs), this would never of happened.

You may want to give Hotmail another chance. I was getting 50 spams per day as well, but it looks like they've incorporated their own blocklistings of well known spamsources (i.e. open proxies.)

So Jeff, you consider SpamCop to be a small operation then?  ;)

You have an issue with the word small? Just ask about the missing week-end when the lone contact point, lone admin, lone tech ran into a conflict and ended up on the poor side of the infamous "cell phone and the kiddie pool" incident.

Archived