Jeff G.

According to JT's post of 22:20 EST to those newsgroups:

Hello,

In an effort to provide better support for all users, the spamcop.help

and spamcop.mail newsgroups and mailing lists will be going away in a

few weeks. The exact date hasn't been decided yet. Instead of these

newsgroups, we will have web-based forums available. These forums

provide pretty much all of the same features as the newsgroup forums and

more, in a format that is familiar to the majority of internet users.

I'd like to encourage you to try the new forums as they are up and

running now. You can login at http://forum.cesmail.net. Please don't

bookmark this location just yet as we will be moving it to the

spamcop.net domain in the next few days.

For those who prefer to use NNTP or email, the spamcop, spamcop.geeks,

spamcop.social, and spamcop.spam groups will be staying where they are.

JT

Hello,

I'd like to encourage you to try the new forums as they are up and

running now. You can login at http://forum.cesmail.net. Please don't

bookmark this location just yet as we will be moving it to the

spamcop.net domain in the next few days.

Will the accounts stay in place or yet another registration process be needed?

• 2 weeks later...
In an effort to provide better support for all users, the spamcop.help and spamcop.mail newsgroups and mailing lists will be going away in a few weeks.

A frustrating thing about SpamCop, as I see it, is that anything other than getting your mail "held" is complicated and confusing to the ordinary email user.

I joined SpamCop in November 2003, and since then over 8000 items of spam were "held" and then discarded at my request. I was so weary of going through that junk prior to joining that this in itself was a blessed relief.

But I like to understand what is happening, and occasionally I had what seemed to me to be a pretty simple, even dumb, question; but, as my question wasn't to be found in the FAQ section, I found that getting an answer was baffling, complex, and tedious. I *got* an answer to my first question, once I found a forum and asked for a direct email reply. but I had to introduce myself to NNTP life even to post the question.

I've been on the web for nine years, and up to now had never felt the need of participating in a newsgroup, so I had to find the appropriate client software and learn some basics - in order to answer a simple question. It seemed odd.

Having learned to use SpamCop's news server (I'm still not sure what one I found, was it "help" or "mail" or something else, I don't even know how to find out!), I posted a second dumb question, and got a couple of answers from "regulars" which I found helpful.

Having learned NNTP basics I began logging on to the newsgroup, and am currently watching all kinds of angst being expressed about this changeover to the webforum format.

Obedient to one of the postings there, I came here to this webforum, and, lo!, I have more to learn!

The complexity of all this does perplex me.

I'll try posting my latest dumb question in a separate posting, and see what happens, but somehow I thought there would be an easier way to get answers to simple questions.

Meanwhile, I am very happy to have SpamCop filtering away.

Tony H-J

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see this transition to a conferencing system. usenet is great for temporal stuff, but unless users know how to keep old postings on their local client, over time it just goes away from their POV. This makes it necessary for the same questions to be added over and again. Here in flat non-threaded forum/conference land, topics are persistant and can be scanned for relevance, as can their topic responses. Hosts can pin and freeze important topics, making the equivalent of FAQs easy to build.

I must have missed the announcement of this new system in the SpamCop newsletter though. I just came here via navigating to the old Help & Questions page on spamcop.net, expecting to use that NNTP link there - the lazy way to fire up my NNTP client. I was surprised to see the link to this. Registering took just a few minutes, and here we are.

So, anyway, congratulations on the new forum system <clink!>

I've been on the web for nine years, and up to now had never felt the need of participating in a newsgroup, so I had to find the appropriate client software and learn some basics - in order to answer a simple question. It seemed odd.

Wow. It's funny how people's different experience and contexts can produce such varying views of normalcy. I can't imagine not having used newsgroups over a period of so many years using the net. I expect that this clicky graphicky interface and the advantages of the flat forum model will be easier over time for most users. The most important thing, imho, is active swift responses from users/hosts in the know. Leveraging that, this can become a real Help system.

Hello,

In an effort to provide better support for all users, the spamcop.help and spamcop.mail newsgroups and mailing lists will be going away in a few weeks. The exact date hasn't been decided yet. Instead of these newsgroups, we will have web-based forums available. These forums provide pretty much all of the same features as the newsgroup forums and

more, in a format that is familiar to the majority of internet users.

(snip)

JT

I really don't like this new forum idea. I think it's a step backwards. I'm sorry, but I read mail, etc via an SSH-tunneled VNC session and doing anything "graphical" is a real pain as it's like being on dial-up again, even though my machine at home has a DSL connection.

I would hope that you would try to find a way to make the NNTP server post to here so that those of us who prefer a less-graphically intense method of posting can do so. Please remember that not everyone has blazing high-speed internet!

Archived