Can't login to webmail and sent email to support

I posted this on the news server this morning:

I've sent mail to support[at]spamcop.net but not received a reply on how to

reset my email account password.  How can I access my email to find the

response to my request if I don't have my password to do so?  Seems like

a Catch-22.

I sent a "help me" email via the web site and haven't gotten any sort of responce, even an automated one. Is JT the only one who can reset email account passwords? What's the "service time" on this request? I'm dead in the water right now as spamcop is my email hub. All my accounts are processed by spamcop.

Anyone know a phone number or could someone call to a deputy or SOMEONE to reset my password?

I'm assuming that any requests you're sending via email are not from your SpamCop account, or, as you mentioned, you'd have problems receiving any sort of response.

Given that, the response time to support requests varies quite a bit, but I've sometimes seen responses in about two days. I don't think that the Deputies have the ability to help with SC email account issues, but you might email them at:

deputies <at> admin.spamcop.net

They might be able to contact JT through "back channels."

DT

I just came from the newsgroups and didn't see your post .. maybe you put it in spamcop.mail group? (You didn't specify.) ... On the other hand, now that you've sent e-mail, posted in the newsgroups, the one thing I see not mentioned is a trip through the FAQ ... did you go there? Did you try any of the items mentioned?

I just came from the newsgroups and didn't see your post .. maybe you put it in spamcop.mail group? (You didn't specify.) ... On the other hand, now that you've sent e-mail, posted in the newsgroups, the one thing I see not mentioned is a trip through the FAQ ... did you go there?  Did you try any of the items mentioned?

16079[/snapback]

Yes, I checked the FAQ and they said that the ONLY option was to contact support at spamcop.net and wait. I did this through Yahoo mail, via the spamcop email web site, and posted to spamcop.mail news group. No responce from anyone yet, but it's only been 12 hours. Is that an unreasonable expectation for a responce time. 2 days is rather rediculous for a password reset.

Since I can't access spamcop email or reset it's processing of my other email accounts, I'm sorta stuck.

Yes, I checked the FAQ and they said that the ONLY option was to contact support at spamcop.net and wait.  I did this through Yahoo mail, via the spamcop email web site, and posted to spamcop.mail news group.  No responce from anyone yet, but it's only been 12 hours.  Is that an unreasonable expectation for a responce time.  2 days is rather rediculous for a password reset.

Since I can't access spamcop email or reset it's processing of my other email accounts, I'm sorta stuck.

16098[/snapback]

I am afraid that I need help understanding what you mean by what you said. "I did this through Yahoo mail, via the spamcop email <snip> I can't access spamcop email Does this mean you sent an email using Yahoo mail to sombody [at] spamcop?
I've sent mail to support[at]spamcop.net
What reply address did you use? If that address does not appear in your MailHost setup, there may be a problem confirming your identity (are you who you say you are - just a guess)

Some general questions ( no need to post here as we can not reset passwords, but may be helpful to provide in the email for help and if missing may cause the email message to be ignored.

1) What happened, did you forget your password?

2) What is your user name (email address) that you can not access.

3) provide some kind of information that identifies you as being you and not someone trying to break into someone eles's email account.

4)How do you log into your spamcop email account (opperating system, browser, web address used) or do you try to connect with a local email client.

If the latter is the case, try using the Web browser access using http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/

Some general questions ( no need to post here as we can not reset passwords, but may be helpful to provide in the email for help and if missing may cause the email message to be ignored.

1) What happened, did you forget your password?

2) What is your user name (email address) that you can not access.

3) provide some kind of information that identifies you as being you and not someone trying to break into someone eles's email account.

4)How do you log into your spamcop email account (opperating system, browser, web address used) or do you try to connect with a local email client.

If the latter is the case, try using the Web browser access using http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/

I forgot my password. I changed it after I got the "security warning" from spamcop.

I sent an email with a copy of my confirming email (the one that was sent to me confirming my email account was setup and ready with headers and date/timestamp) to support at spamcop.net from the spamcop web site's "contact us" page, from a yahoo email account, and told them to send a password to the account that's in the orginal email.

I couldn't access spamcop email to shut off spamcop's external pop feature, so I changed the pop password. Now spamcop can't access that mailbox and mail going to it I can read.

I use Eudora on my MacOS X system to access spamcop's email via IMAP. I tried accessing the web client and couldn't get in there either.

It sounds like my request is being ignored as inauthentic. In which case, there's a more serious problem. With no phone contact or way to authenticate an email password reset, how would this be done in a timely fashion? If JT is the only resource, what happens when he's on vacation for 2 weeks? That's not much of a way to run a business.

Also, I've tried getting help in multiple places. There's some activity in the newsgroups, but the email group seems particularly dead. Is there a move to discontinue the news interface and use this forum instead? spamcop hosts the news server and these groups. Is the same system hosting this forum? I find it more useful than news.

Thanks for all this info and trying to help.

I sent an email with a copy of my confirming email (the one that was sent to me confirming my email account was setup and ready with headers and date/timestamp) to support at spamcop.net from the spamcop web site's "contact us" page, from a yahoo email account, and told them to send a password to the account that's in the orginal email. <snip>

It sounds like my request is being ignored as inauthentic. In which case, there's a more serious problem. With no phone contact or way to authenticate an email password reset, how would this be done in a timely fashion? If JT is the only resource, what happens when he's on vacation for 2 weeks? That's not much of a way to run a business.

It looks like you did provide authenticating information by attaching the original email. I had a problem were the heldmail folder was "partially" deleted and it took a few days to get that fixed.

If I were you, I would send a second message with the subject "2nd request for password reset" and attach the previous email that you sent as your 1st request. Point out the urgency of the situation but do not be rude. Save your comments

Also, I've tried getting help in multiple places. There's some activity in the newsgroups, but the email group seems particularly dead. Is there a move to discontinue the news interface and use this forum instead? spamcop hosts the news server and these groups. Is the same system hosting this forum? I find it more useful than news.

and send them in a separate email after your problem is resolved. The above actually applies to just about anything in life.

One problem with SpamCop (from my point of view) goes back to "You get what you pay for" At $30.00/year the email service is greatly underpriced. I currently pay $4.95/month for email service with very limited 10 hour/month dialup web access (My primary internet access is cable [3meg / 256k]) with Earthlink which I have forwarded to my SpamCop account Note: their standard price is $9.95/month. Yes they have 24/7 phone access, but my experience using it has been far from acceptable. They seem to hire idiots. Very frustrating. And you do have to subtract out the value of 10hours of internet access for a fair comparison. But I believe the SpamCop product to be far superior overall, and that is why I am using it. So I put up with the lack of phone support and the bit more than normal down time compared to high end services.

Maybe SpamCop might consider adding a pay for support phone program like Microsoft for those who need quicker service.

I forgot my password.  I changed it after I got the "security warning" from spamcop.

Nothing wrong with changing passwords. Using that notice as the reason seems a bit strange. The only reason for the notification was that a range of "code keys" could/were "looked at" and as such, there was the correlation between those codes and the e-mail address associated with each code and that the registered e-mail address was exposed.

I sent an email with a copy of my confirming email (the one that was sent to me confirming my email account was setup and ready with headers and date/timestamp) to support at spamcop.net from the spamcop web site's "contact us" page, from a yahoo email account, and told them to send a password to the account that's in the orginal email.

Technically, this would also match the stolen/found laptop scenario.

I couldn't access spamcop email to shut off spamcop's external pop feature, so I changed the pop password.  Now spamcop can't access that mailbox and mail going to it I can read.

You lost me here. Is this an additional password change? Not sure I follow the "can't access it, so I changed the password" story.

I use Eudora on my MacOS X system to access spamcop's email via IMAP.  I tried accessing the web client and couldn't get in there either.

Out of curiosity, logging into a web page, have you tried all three (?) passowrds (or attempted anyway?) Have you removed all the old cookies to rule that issue out?

It sounds like my request is being ignored as inauthentic.  In which case, there's a more serious problem.  With no phone contact or way to authenticate an email password reset, how would this be done in a timely fashion?  If JT is the only resource, what happens when he's on vacation for 2 weeks?  That's not much of a way to run a business.

It's JT's business, SpamCop users are only a portion of his client base. I can't speak for him, won't speak for him, and won't even go to far into that even I have unanswered e-mails, but .. if it's bad-mouthing you want to get into, you've got yourself into a bad position. With the countless numbers of "password management" applications out there, and even a text/word processor has the ability to save some data you'd type into it, one could point the finger the other way and make some silly comments about one not keeping track of their own affairs. You make no mention of what your SpamCop account name actually is, so there's nothing I can offer to help with.

Also, I've tried getting help in multiple places.  There's some activity in the newsgroups, but the email group seems particularly dead.  Is there a move to discontinue the news interface and use this forum instead?  spamcop hosts the news server and these groups.  Is the same system hosting this forum?  I find it more useful than news.

You can check the various newsgroup archives or change the 30-day default on the Forum settings and head back around last November to read all the traffic about support moving to these Forums. The SpamCop systems is distributed across the U.S. The newsgroups, these Forums, and the e-mail side of the house are ran and maintained on JT's servers in Georgia.

Technically, this would also match the stolen/found laptop scenario.
Did not think about that option.
I couldn't access spamcop email to shut off spamcop's external pop feature, so I changed the pop password.  Now spamcop can't access that mailbox and mail going to it I can read.
You lost me here. Is this an additional password change? Not sure I follow the "can't access it, so I changed the password" story.
That one I think I actually understand. Since all mail is being POPed by the SpamCop account and there being no current access to the SpamCop account the result is no access to the mail being sent. By going back to the mail account that is being POPed by SpamCop and changing the password on that account when SpamCop attempts to POP the mail access is denied leaving the mail on the original mail server and allowing it to be POPed directly by the client resulting in a restoration of access to mail sent after the other password was changed. A temporary fix, but not a long term solution.

Also, have you tried the link from the expanded FAQ in this forum under the email section labeled "I forgot my Password"?  There is a web contact form there

In all fairness, I added that link because of this Topic <g> .. but if I had to guess, I'm thinking that maybe this is the "web page e-mail" that the original poster was referring to (though admitting, that's only a guess)

Archived