Why is my e-mail server being blacklisted

cbutler

Since you don't have any links on your main page (ie. no way to just send you an e-mail), we would like to know why our e-mail server is listed (65.16.112.115). We use Kerio and require a login to send e-mail so I doubt that anyone is sending spam through our server (Open relay). Naturally I want to know if there is a problem!

Feel free to e-mail me with this information.

Since you don't have any links on your main page,  we would like to know why are e-mail server is listed (65.16.112.115).  We use Kerio and require a login to send e-mail so I doubt that anyone is sending spam through our server.  Naturally I want to know if that is the case.

16620[/snapback]

...The SpamCop home page does, indeed, have links -- notably one under heading "Accused of spamming?" labeled "Mailers and ISPs.."

...Please read the "Pinned" items on the Help Forum home page and if you still have questions return here to post follow-ups.

This is just an observation.

You might use Kerio but:

host112-115.discord.birch.net (65.16.112.115):

ISP/Who = Birch Telecom

Just so you know Birch is not an innocent bystander:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=birch.ne...e=off&scoring=d

65.16.112.115 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

Why would this server be sending mail to addresses that have never requested anything.

Many things can cause this and they have not been listed for a long time so it will probably clear up in a day or two if they have not been compromised.

Since you don't have any links on your main page (ie. no way to just send you an e-mail),  we would like to know why our e-mail server is listed (65.16.112.115).  We use Kerio and require a login to send e-mail so I doubt that anyone is sending spam through our server (Open relay).  Naturally I want to know if there is a problem!

Are you implying that you have a *dedicated* server? If so, it looks as if it may have been compromised in some form. There has been a significant increase in the amount of mail that server has been sending. See SenderBase Lookup. Just because it may not be an open relay does not mean that the machine macy not have been compromised.

1) If you have AV software that generates virus notifications, turn the notification feature off.

2) If you have a mail server that generates delivery notification messages on inbound mail, turn the feature off.

3) Send a polite email to deputies <at> spamcop.net asking for any additional information that may be available concerning the listing of your IP address.

Since you don't have any links on your main page (ie. no way to just send you an e-mail),  we would like to know why our e-mail server is listed (65.16.112.115).  We use Kerio and require a login to send e-mail so I doubt that anyone is sending spam through our server (Open relay).  Naturally I want to know if there is a problem!

16620[/snapback]

It appears to me that a spammer is authenticating at your server and sending spam. You can write to me at the address in my sig and I will provide more detailed information than I feel comfortable posting publicly.

...The SpamCop home page does, indeed, have links -- notably one under heading "Accused of spamming?" labeled "Mailers and ISPs.."

...Please read the "Pinned" items on the Help Forum home page and if you still have questions return here to post follow-ups.

16622[/snapback]

That link is worthless for finding out WHY a server has been listed or how to get in contact with anyone. The closest that I could find was this board. I don't consider that to be very useful.

If spamcop idoesn't want to list or link e-mail addresses, a simple web-based form that would then e-mail someone in charge would do. That way no one needs to air dirty laundry on public forums.

Personally, I find blacklisting the worst way to deal with spammers. They don't care, they just change their IP address (or spoof one). I could get every free e-mail service blacklisted because ORDB and other Open-Relay blacklisters are easily hackable. I know this because I did it by accident once. (And no I'm not going to tell anyone how).

I, personally, use K9 and see very little spam. Despite what the spammers may try, Baysian filters do work (at least for now).

I do want to thank "Ellen" for posting a contact address.

That link is worthless for finding out  WHY a server has been listed or how to get in contact with anyone.  The closest that I could find was this board.  I don't consider that to be very useful. 

But many others do.

If  spamcop idoesn't want to list or link e-mail addresses, a simple web-based form that would then e-mail someone in charge would do.  That way no one needs to air dirty laundry on public forums.

They already send reports to someone in charge. Evidently they are not reading them. Most of the people that come to this forum have bad reading habits.

Personally, I find blacklisting the worst way to deal with spammers.

Many disagree. I find using blocklists works quite well.

They don't care, they just change their IP address (or spoof one). 

Then the new IP gets blocked for spamming. Very simple concept.

I could get every free e-mail service blacklisted because ORDB and other Open-Relay blacklisters are easily hackable. 

No you couldn't. That is what your problem is. _You_ have been hacked.

I know this because I did it by accident once.  (And no I'm not going to tell anyone how).

You never hacked anything by accident or on purpose.

I, personally, use K9 and see very little spam.  Despite what the spammers may try, Baysian filters do work (at least for now).

You might be stopping it on the way in but you are not stopping it on the way out!

I do want to thank "Ellen" for posting a contact address.

I agree, Ellen is excellent!

Personally, I find blacklisting the worst way to deal with spammers....(snip)...I, personally, use K9 and see very little spam.  Despite what the spammers may try, Baysian filters do work (at least for now).

You're welcome to your opinion, but it's flawed, and here's why.

spam has grown exponentially, and if it's only filtered or deleted, then there's nothing being done to keep it from growing until it fills up incoming email quotas, causing legitimate mail to be bounced...not everyone has a "Gmail" account with almost unlimited incoming space.

It's fine for you that you don't "see" the spam that tries to reach you, but what about the server resources being wasted transporting that crap to your inbox? It's not insignificant, and processing spam costs ISPs more and more, and thus, it increases the costs for all of us.

Blacklisting, OTOH, causes enough problems for the blacklisted providers that most of them take action to secure their systems and kick spammers off (with obvious exceptions, such as most of China, Korea, South America, etc., but I'm talking about responsible ISPs who care about their mail being received). Now, if we could also get the stoooopid idiots in Washington DC to pass something better than their DMA-friendly "Can spam" law, then we'd start seeing even better throttling of spam, because even though much of the spam originates overseas, the actual culprits are right here in the USA. I think I'd support a death penalty for spammers, but perhaps that's a bit harsh....

The logic you're using is "what I can't see won't hurt me" and that's very flawed.

DT

That link is worthless for finding out WHY a server has been listed or how to get in contact with anyone. The closest that I could find was this board. I don't consider that to be very useful.

16709[/snapback]

...Well, I can't say for certain what you saw, but when I went to the link from the home page I was directed to another page with many other links, including:

...One of the pinned items, Pinned: Why Am I Blocked? FAQ, has a section labeled "Why Am I Blocked? Probable Causes" which contains information about "WHY a server has been listed," another section labeled "For people who are operating servers" which includes instructions for finding out why a particular server (IP address) has been listed and another labeled (in red text) "Please also see:" which includes the e-mail address of the SpamCop deputies.

<snip>Personally, I find blacklisting the worst way to deal with spammers. They don't care, they just change their IP address (or spoof one). <snip>

16709[/snapback]

And the rest of us have yet to find a better way. SpamCop reporting results in the IP addresses the spammers use being listed and the admin of the machine being notified so that steps can be taken to stop the spamming. A lot of times, those machines have been hacked unbeknownst to the admins and we do them a great favor by alerting them to a problem.

16620[/snapback]

Your banter seems typical of those who want to use the internet but have not desire to learn the rules of its use and what happens if those rules are broken.

You want answers but do not want to take the time to read anything first to help you understand what is happening, and even what questions need to be asked and what information (details) need to be provided with the question for anyone to really provide any real help.

Since you don't have any links on your main page
Of course did you bother to state what "main page" you are refering to? NO.

If you are refering to www.spamcop.net, then either you do not know how to read english (which by your posts does not seem to be the case) or you just did not think it was worth your time to read much of anything, because the answer to your question is posted many different places. It is not the first thing you see, but the point is you are suppose to read and understand a few things first before taking the next step anyway.

You made it to the forum but failed to read and understand the intial posts that state:

Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting

Pinned: Why Am I Blocked? FAQ Please read before posting (emphis and color added)

Because your questions are addressed there as well.

The biggest single reason why spamming is the problem it is today is not what one might first think: It is profitable That happens to the the second reason.

The biggest single reason is people who use the internet without first learning what it is all about, begin to use email and reply to the spams that are sent. If there were no replies the spam would die on its own and there would not be any need to block it because the 2nd reason would have also disappeared, it would no longer be profitable to send spam.

Sure, there would be some exceptions, but the vast majority would just go away on its own.

So consider this: Your are one of the reasons spam is a problem and until you and everyone else like you change their attitude and learn something about the tools they are using (the internet and email) blocking lists will continue to exist and your mail will be blocked from time to time.

So consider this: Your are one of the reasons spam is a problem and until you and everyone else like you change their attitude and learn something about the tools they are using (the internet and email) blocking lists will continue to exist and your mail will be blocked from time to time.

To add to that, hopefully the number/ type and use of block lists will increase to such an extent it will eventually weed out idiots that only add to the spam problem!

Archived