smtp server

Does SpamCop have an SMTP server that I can use for Outlook Express? I am currently using the smtp server for my ISP, but some email accounts (such as hotmail) block mail from this server for some reason.

Thanks.

No, sorry, we don't.

JT

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so SC doesn't support SMTP. Darn. So my following question may be going beyond the scope of the forum, but I'll give it a try. And forgive me if my question is naive.

So, I want my return address on my mail to be myscacct[at]spamcop.net. I want to use OE for my mail interface, not SC's webmail. I used to be able to us OE to send emails looking like they came from myscacct[at]spamcop.net, but were sent by my ISP's SMTP server. Now the SMTP server errors out with: "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'address_irrelevant[at]spamcop.net'. Subject 'test', Account: 'SpamCop', Server: 'xxx.yyy.zzz.3', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 not local host spamcop.net, not a gateway', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

I suspect that my ISP had a security hole before and was being used by spammers as a relay and when he plugged that hole this quit working for me. Ironic.

Anyway, anybody have any suggestions on how I can get OE working with my ISP's SMTP server to make it look like my email is coming from myscacct[at]spamcop.net?

Thanks for your time and consideration?

First quick answer ... no

Second - if what you "really" want it to have any e-mail sent to you in response to an e-mail you sent out, then you'll set your "From:" address to your ISP's user name/domain thing which 'should' let it go out, but in OE, set your "Reply To:" address to your spamcop address.

Third, you'll have to do some digging around or make a few phone calls to your ISP, but there may be a method that would allow your connection to be "authorized" and thereby not denying the "relay" attempt .... One method is where you'll have to POP your e-mail first, then within some window of time, you're allowed to send your stuff, as the "connction is authorized" ... but anything of this type requires something other than default configuration by your ISP, so only they'll know the answers.

I have not used OE for a while, but with my current ISP (Ameritech DSL) and Thunderbird (v0.5) as my mail client, I have no issues sending via their SMTP with my "spamcop address" specified. The reason it works is because my ISP requires SMTP authentication and once I plug the appropriate account information into the Thunderbird mail client, it works fine.

Just wanted to use this as an example because it might be worthwhile to:

1) Confirm if your ISP's SMTP server can or does use authentication for SMTP access

and if they do, or can turn it on for you, then:

2) Confirm that you have your mail client configured properly

OE should alllow one to enter SMTP authentication information along with the server name.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here, especially when using various Wi-Fi hotspots or over GPRS. You can use the DynDNS.org service. See URL below for details:

http://www.dyndns.org/services/mailhop/outbound

Archived