SpamCop not collecting all email

jpsc

Some of my email is not reaching me. I have set the external server entry to not leave on server, yet when I check the POP3 mailbox using another client I find there are hundreds of messages there I haven't seen.

--

John Cooper, JPSC Ltd, UK

Are you writing about mailgate POPping from an external POP Server you have configured on your account's POP Configuration using the secure or insecure method, or are you talking about your local POP Client POPping from pop.spamcop.net?

If it is the former, is it possible that you or someone else read or somehow touched those messages on your external POP Server, causing it to think that you no longer wanted to POP them?

Can you please share the received date range for those emails you found?

Also, please note that you duplicated your signature at the bottom of your Post.

Thanks!

One other remote possibility...are these messages from your ISP. I had an ISP once that the common user messages were placed in the inbox by a process that you could only read them via the web interface. Basically, they were simply pointers to other locations, not the actual message.

This was a while ago however (when storage was not so cheap) and I am not aware of anyone using this method now. They were bought out by another company probably 6-8 years ago.

One other remote possibility...are these messages from your ISP.  I had an ISP once that the common user messages were placed in the inbox by a process that you could only read them via the web interface. Basically, they were simply pointers to other locations, not the actual message.

This was a while ago however (when storage was not so cheap) and I am not aware of anyone using this method now.  They were bought out by another company probably 6-8 years ago.

19500[/snapback]

Earthlink appears to still be doing that as of two weeks ago - please see this link for details.

POPping from an external POP Server I have configured on my account's POP Configuration.

I am not aware of anything I have which would touch the mailbox - I have let SpamCop do it all for as long as I can remember. I didn't think POP3 allowed messages to be marked on the server anyway.

The range of dates is 24/10/04 until now, still more being added.

These are real messages to me stored in a POP3 mailbox.

Sorry about the sig, I checked with preview because I didn't think I had set one, not realising that preview doesn't show it.

POP Servers aren't supposed to work that way.  Please check with the support personnel for that external POP Server.  Thanks!

19514[/snapback]

Aren't supposed to work which way? I only looked into the mailbox with my other utility when I found mails weren't being extracted by SpamCop, so that is not the reason they were left.

This has been working for some time and I have not changed anything recently.

How about getting just a bit more technical and specific if you actually want some input? For instance, I find "POPping from an external POP Server I have configured on my account's POP Configuration" more than a bit confusing. On one hand, you may be answering JeffG's question exactly and it might be a perfect answer ... on the other hand, there may some major confusion on just what server is being talked about in the three (?) systems included within that phrase.

"These are real messages to me stored in a POP3 mailbox" doesn't exactly say "in my InBox" which may have some bearing on things.

Have you actually looked at / analyzed your e-mail from this system? What is the difference between an e-mail that got "pulled by SpamCop" and one that was "not seen by SpamCop" ....???? Is it the headers, is it an actual e-mail (as conjectured in other posts), is all mail within the "same POP3 mailbox" .... what was "the other client" used? Details are critical and you're not offering very many.

You're asking for a heck of a lot of interpretation and guessing from folks at this end.

How about getting just a bit more technical and specific if you actually want some input?  For instance, I find "POPping from an external POP Server I have configured on my account's POP Configuration" more than a bit confusing.  On one hand, you may be answering JeffG's question exactly and it might be a perfect answer ... on the other hand, there may some major confusion on just what server is being talked about in the three (?) systems included within that phrase.

19526[/snapback]

I was answering the question exactly by cutting and pasting. It was supposed to be a statement that I had used http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/spamcop/popconfig.php to configure SpamCop to extract mail from an external POP3 mailbox at my ISP.

Looking back I am not sure about the mailgate reference by Jeff G. - if it is the program/process that SpamCop uses to get the mail then I think I answered the question, if it is something else then I can understand the confusion.

"These are real messages to me stored in a POP3 mailbox" doesn't exactly say "in my InBox" which may have some bearing on things.

They are actual messages from people in the POP3 mailbox on my ISP, not pointers as suggested by StevenUnderwood. They are messages I want extracted from an external server, not in my InBox on SpamCop if that is what you mean by InBox.

Have you actually looked at / analyzed your e-mail from this system?  What is the difference between an e-mail that got "pulled by SpamCop" and one that was "not seen by SpamCop" ....????  Is it the headers, is it an actual e-mail (as conjectured in other posts), is all mail within the "same POP3 mailbox" ....  what was "the other client" used?  Details are critical and you're not offering very many.

Analysing the mail that was succesfully pulled and what is left the difference is obvious; all mail before some time on 24/10/04 was forwarded and mail after has been left. Specifically, I recieved a message at 14:11 24/10/04 (my time) and none since, there is no error listed (0 error count and last error 'None') on the configuration screen for that entry. Looking in the POP3 mailbox the first message has a time of 19:35 24/10/04

The other client is something called MailMaint which is just a POP3 mailbox maintenance utility really, as far as I'm aware it has no affect on the mailbox (ie can't mark messages as 'read') although it can delete them I haven't done that, and in any case I only used it a few days ago when it became apparent to me that someone had sent a message that had not arrived.

You're asking for a heck of a lot of interpretation and guessing from folks at this end.

Sorry, trying to answer too many questions from different people in the one post.

I was answering the question exactly by cutting and pasting. It was supposed to be a statement that I had used http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/spamcop/popconfig.php to configure SpamCop to extract mail from an external POP3 mailbox at my ISP.
Restated, you have setup SpamCop to use POP3 to down load your mail from another mail server, and have left the "Leave on Server" check box blank (Not checked)
Analysing the mail that was succesfully pulled and what is left the difference is obvious; all mail before some time on 24/10/04 was forwarded and mail after has been left. Specifically, I recieved a message at 14:11 24/10/04 (my time) and none since, there is no error listed (0 error count and last error 'None') on the configuration screen for that entry.
By "was forwarded" I will assume that you mean that the messages were sucessfully retreived using POP3 and deleted from the original server. Based on this statement it would appear that SpamCop is no longer retreiving any email for you. If this is the case, I would delete your current settings in your SpamCop POP server file and recreate them. If that does not work, I would try accessing your mail from a different computer than you normally using the same settings you reinstalled in your SpamCop account to help determine if the problem is with SpamCop or with the POP3 process in general as related to your specific ISP (note: your ISP may have changed some requirements for accessing mail.

It would be helpful if you could identify how many different accounts (mail boxes) you are trying to access and which ones are working OK and which ones are not

ie:

myaccount#1 <at> domain#1

myaccount#2 <at> domain#1

myaccount#1 <at> domain#2

myaccount#2 <at> domain#2

When tring to work on problems, I am very literal .. thus some of the confusion. Your Topic starts with "Some of my email is not reaching me" .... Your last post says "all mail before some time on 24/10/04 was forwarded and mail after has been left. Specifically, I recieved a message at 14:11 24/10/04 (my time) and none since" .... a bit of a change in the story.

"They are messages I want extracted from an external server, not in my InBox on SpamCop if that is what you mean by InBox." No, I was talking about any and all "InBoxes" .. where you said prior "These are real messages to me stored in a POP3 mailbox" doesn't rule out an extra "mailbox" titled Junk, Extra, Friends, etc. which would not be looked at by the SpamCop POP engine.

As dbiel also suggested, my initial post here was to suggest that you start getting explicit and start identifying the players involved. I picked that item you say you cut / pasted specifically as it seemed to cover the problem area, yet identified and explained nothing. Run with dbiel's excellent suggestions, but if there is still an issue, please add in all the missing details on the next post.

When tring to work on problems, I am very literal .. thus some of the confusion.  Your Topic starts with "Some of my email is not reaching me" .... Your last post says "all mail before some time on 24/10/04 was forwarded and mail after has been left. Specifically, I recieved a message at 14:11 24/10/04 (my time) and none since" .... a bit of a change in the story.

19543[/snapback]

No change in story, I noticed I had got some messages and not others, on investigation I found that the distinction between those that arrived and those that didn't was a point in time.

"They are messages I want extracted from an external server, not in my InBox on SpamCop if that is what you mean by InBox."  No, I was talking about any and all "InBoxes" .. where you said prior "These are real messages to me stored in a POP3 mailbox" doesn't rule out an extra "mailbox" titled Junk, Extra, Friends, etc. which would not be looked at by the SpamCop POP engine.
I am confused here, I thought a POP3 mailbox only had one folder. All the ones I am accessing only have one folder. I did not mention Junk, Extra, Friends, etc, because I don't have anything like that.

As dbiel also suggested, my initial post here was to suggest that you start getting explicit and start identifying the players involved.  I picked that item you say you cut / pasted specifically as it seemed to cover the problem area, yet identified and explained nothing.  Run with dbiel's excellent suggestions, but if there is still an issue, please add in all the missing details on the next post.
I don't know how more explicit I can get. I have some external POP3 mailboxes, one in particular was brought to my attention where some mail had not arrived. I checked and found that there was mail in the box that SpamCop had not collected. I posted here and Jeff G. asked if the problem was SpamCop POPing from the mailbox (using mailgate?) or me POPing from SpamCop - I tried to say it was the former. I have Spamcop set up to forward to me, I do not POP from SpamCop. StevenUnderwood said it might be that they were not real messages but pointers - that is not the case.

I will try and explain exactly what has happened, now I have investigated all of the mailboxes that I had set up. I had five entried in the external mailbox configuration screen, this is what they looked like ( | between entries):

mail.cix.co.uk | jpsc | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117_2 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117_3 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117_5 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

The first one was the one that was brought to my attention. It is the one I have explained getting messages before 24/10 and not after. I deleted and reinstated it but no new messages have been collected (after 24 hours). The other mailboxes are fairly low traffic, but jcls10117, jcls10117_2 and jcls10117_5 all have a few messages left in them (all dated after 24/10).

I have now deleted all of the entries and will try and reinstate them, one at a time.

I will try and answer any other questions, but it looks to my untrained eye that on 24/10 SpamCop stopped extracting mail from my external POP3 mailboxes. If anyone from SpamCop can access logs, my account is jpsc[at]spamcop.net

No change in story, I noticed I had got some messages and not others, on investigation I found that the distinction between those that arrived and those that didn't was a point in time.

Again, when troubleshooting, all words carry weight. Changing from "some" to "all" is a critical difference.

I am confused here, I thought a POP3 mailbox only had one folder. All the ones I am accessing only have one folder. I did not mention Junk, Extra, Friends, etc, because I don't have anything like that.

At issue was the scenario of the mutliple systems, servers, traffic flow included in your description of who did what to whcih system, etc. Not explained were the tpe of accounts, where they were located, which system did whtat kind of work, on and on ... thus my trying to goad you into getting specific on several items.

I don't know how more explicit I can get.

You finally got to making a great start. At issue was whether a recent addition to the FAQ about "your ISP blocking e-mail" might apply to you or not. It is unfortunate that you chose to identify blueyonder. They have a history of doing some "interesting" things when they find out that they are listed on the SpamCopDNSBL yet again. And as there is traffic elsewhere about the ramping up of spam spew coming from blueyonder once again, you may be caught up in this situation again ... ie.e, due to a listing on the SpamCopDNSbl due to spam traffic, blueyonder once again blocked traffic to/from SpamCop ...

I have some external POP3 mailboxes, one in particular was brought to my attention where some mail had not arrived. I checked and found that there was mail in the box that SpamCop had not collected. I posted here and Jeff G. asked if the problem was SpamCop POPing from the mailbox (using mailgate?) or me POPing from SpamCop - I tried to say it was the former. I have Spamcop set up to forward to me, I do not POP from SpamCop. StevenUnderwood said it might be that they were not real messages but pointers - that is not the case.

Seems like this could have been simply stated in post #1 -- SpamCop POPs blueyonder .... SpamCop then forwards to somewhere else ... just a bit of clarity and detail there.

I will try and explain exactly what has happened, now I have investigated all of the mailboxes that I had set up. I had five entried in the external mailbox configuration screen, this is what they looked like ( | between entries):

mail.cix.co.uk | jpsc | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117_2 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117_3 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk | jcls10117_5 | Leave on server no | Use SSL no | Error count 0 | Last error none

The first one was the one that was brought to my attention. It is the one I have explained getting messages before 24/10 and not after. I deleted and reinstated it but no new messages have been collected (after 24 hours). The other mailboxes are fairly low traffic, but jcls10117, jcls10117_2 and jcls10117_5 all have a few messages left in them (all dated after 24/10).

Bottom line, do any of them pass any traffic at this point at all? Have you POP'd them directly to ensure that things work as they should?

I have now deleted all of the entries and will try and reinstate them, one at a time.

I will try and answer any other questions, but it looks to my untrained eye that on 24/10 SpamCop stopped extracting mail from my external POP3 mailboxes. If anyone from SpamCop can access logs, my account is jpsc[at]spamcop.net

Only one person has that power. Contact points are listed in a FAQ entry. It might be worth persuing blueyonder's actions and see if they placed a block in the middle of your e-mail flow "again" ...

At issue was the scenario of the mutliple systems, servers, traffic flow included in your description of who did what to whcih system, etc. Not explained were the tpe of accounts, where they were located, which system did whtat kind of work, on and on ... thus my trying to goad you into getting specific on several items

19680[/snapback]

I said external POP3 mailboxes, I meant POP3 mailboxes. I said SpamCop wasn't collecting mail - that is what I meant.

Seems like this could have been simply stated in post #1 -- SpamCop POPs blueyonder .... SpamCop then forwards to somewhere else ... just a bit of clarity and detail there.
Post #1 had nothing to do with blueyonder, it is a cix.co.uk mailbox, I would have been quite happy to deal with that in isolation but I was asked to detail all accounts.

Bottom line, do any of them pass any traffic at this point at all?  Have you POP'd them directly to ensure that things work as they should?

Only one person has that power.  Contact points are listed in a FAQ entry.  It might be worth persuing blueyonder's actions and see if they placed a block in the middle of your e-mail flow "again" ...

A block where? mail is being delivered into the mailboxes.

I have reinstated the cix account and one of the blueyonder accounts. The POP3 mailboxes are receiving email, but SpamCop is not collecting it. I can check this using MailMaint which shows new messages being added all the time. These are not showing up in my held email or being forwarded to me, and obviously not being deleted from the mailboxes.

Can blueyonder prevent SpamCop collecting mail from from my mailboxes?

Is there any way to get a log of a connection out of SpamCop? the error count is always zero.

As JT has not yet weighed in on this issue here, I strongly suggest that you email him using the address "support <at> spamcop.net".

19686[/snapback]

I have done so but I guess the other problems have been more pressing. I will try again in 24 hours.

Archived