Windows 2003 ENT eddition MS Exchange 2003

Wazoo

Dialog from a PM

i run a web/mail server Windows 2003 ENT eddition MS Exchange 2003

is there any way spam cop can help me slow spammers down? its getting real irritating and would like to put some time into resolving most of the spamers rather than keep blocking them individually. i dont allow an open relay, so i know it isn't that, i have MSExchange spam filter set up but only works when people log on using MSExchange not OE. any help is appreciated

My sympathies ... but if you search a bit, you'll find numerous other Topics/discussions within the Help Froum from others that have had issues with that wonderful tool. And as there have been so many issues, there are numerous FAQ entries ... the "Why am I blocked" FAQ touches the various scenarios ... but Exchange servers have their own explicit FAQ entries ... Please start with the FAQ .... you've got the relay situation, the SMTP/AUTH problem, the account/password issues .... you'll see that the general guidance is that an Exchange server really shouldn't be exposed to the outside world <g>

Thanks for putting it in here, ok heres what i have done so far ( over 3 years ) my first mail server was windows 2000 server exchange server 2000 , then decided to purchase and upgrade because i was assured it was safer, but with spammers beeing very clever and me running a buisness, my emails get out there a lot and spammers like to try and *^$$ me off.. So far i just write them down and block them manually , but they just keep relaying off other servers, and not having access to any lists so far its a work in progress.. i was involved in making a host's file wich has nothing to do with emails but popups and web redirects if you are interested http://www.AntonyBrown.com/hosts.txt im sure most people know how to use it if not ask and i will help

Antony

Hi Antony,

if you are running an Exchange server and are willing to fork out some cash, the products from GFI.com might be useful.

Mail Essentials: http://www.gfi.com/mes/

Server based anti-spam tool

You can set up third party blacklists, such as Spamcop, or, in addition, use the spam learning tool they have integrated. You basically send the tool all the spam you receive and it learns what you interpret as spam.

Most of our customers that use Exchange servers use the tools from GFI, and are pretty happy with them.

Regards

Rudolf

Thanks Rudolf, i would pay money however i refuse to pay per mailbox, i run 8 domains on my server some inactive at moment and will have a lot of mailboxes, i think it wrong to charge per mailbox when running a server, but oh well.. i have yet to see any list, where is it is it downloadable, is it possible to integrigate it into MS exchange etc..

Antony

That's the general concept I was trying to indicate ... as seen in so many other related discussions here (and just about everywhere else) ... use of an Exchange server for an internal network (distribution) is just what it was designed for. But the connection to the world .. that's the other side of the coin. The general commentary/suggestion is to put a *NIX box in front of the Exchange server to control access and traffic to/from the Internet.

That's the general concept I was trying to indicate ... as seen in so many other related discussions here (and just about everywhere else) ... use of an Exchange server for an internal network (distribution) is just what it was designed for.  But the connection to the world .. that's the other side of the coin.  The general commentary/suggestion is to put a *NIX box in front of the Exchange server to control access and traffic to/from the Internet.

20437[/snapback]

i used Linux once as a firewall but everytime i made changes to my 2K server i had to faff about with the linux box and it was dooin ma nut in, never really tried it in conjunction with exchange, would it be advantagious .

Check out:

BCware NoSPAM

SMTP Proxy Daemon

http://www.bcwaresystems.com/nospam/

It's free !!!!!!! (Nice Price)

You can use as many blocklists as you want

Add as many IP's/IP Ranges as you want to block (Wildcards too)

Block email addy's

Whitelist features and more

NOTHING is free !!! i mean its going to have its limmitations, i dont mind paying for things so long as i know i am not throwing my money away, some things are like paying a dog walker to walk my dog and the dog having a certificate in walking people ( catch my drift ) :ph34r:

i once blocked all AOL and i never got spam for ages, but then potential Clients could not contact me, i can deal with the spam, my associates can't.

thanks for the quick responces though! :rolleyes:

Antony :ph34r:

I have read good things about XWall, but have no experience with it. It has an amazing feature set for $400 and the licensing is not based on the # of users. Take a look at the change log and you will see that the author is quick to update the program with new features...for example XWall already has capabilty for SURBLs and SPF.

Again, I have never used it, so do not take my word, research it if you are interested.

PeterJ

Hi Anthony,

i have yet to see any list, where is it is it downloadable, is it possible to integrigate it into MS exchange

Most GFI products can only be used with Exchange servers. This includes Mail Essentials.

You can download a 30 day trial version from the GFI website. After the trial period the tool becomes a limited freeware version. The freeware version allows the use of blacklists, amongst other features.

Regards

Rudolf

Archived