Bounce back spam from .RU

mb@spamcop.net

Post moved to Lounge from E-Mail .... Unknown if there is a hidden request for help, if it was just a rant, or into just which other existing Topic it should have been Merged into ....

One could go with that the forged From: line thing is the issue ... or possibly a complaint that reporting is causing a problem .. a couple of items already much discussed. Or is there something else not identified ...????

Wazoo it's obvious from the tone in which you reply to most postings that your a total jerk. Of course you wouldn't discuss a solution, you just remark on where I posted. Try reading the forum discriptions.

SpamCop Email

A forum for questions and discussion about the SpamCop Email System and spamcop.net email accounts. Questions about spam reporting should generally be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one.

SpamCop Lounge

This forum is for discussion of pretty much anything except SpamCop and spam fighting.

And how does my post about getting bombarded with email because a spammer is using my spamcop address illegally not qualify as a discussion about the SpamCop Email system?

From your various posts, I see your always defending SpamCop instead of helping to make it better – so I expected you to somehow blame me for the problem – but just moving my post – that’s funny.

Don’t you just love the irony of a system that is all about reporting spammers for their activity and expecting the ISP’s to take action – yet that very system doesn’t take any action when the .ru spammers attack their own customers.

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 01:41 PM]Wazoo it's obvious from the tone in which you reply to most postings that your a total jerk.

21035[/snapback]

...And it's obvious from this remark that you haven't read most of Wazoo's postings. IMHO, they're mostly requests for more information from people like you who have not supplied enough information for anyone to be able to answer (except by making some guesses); when that information is forthcoming, he answers.

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 01:41 PM]Of course you wouldn't discuss a solution, you just remark on where I posted.

21035[/snapback]

...IMHO, you are displaying your ignorance -- that's one of Wazoo's tasks as Forum Moderator, to place a post where it is most appropriate.

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 01:41 PM]Try reading the forum discriptions.

SpamCop Email

A forum for questions and discussion about the SpamCop Email System and spamcop.net email accounts. Questions about spam reporting should generally be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one.

SpamCop Lounge

This forum is for discussion of pretty much anything except SpamCop and spam fighting.

21035[/snapback]

...This has been discussed many times before, for example: my reply in thread "Digital Signing".

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 01:41 PM]And how does my post about getting bombarded with email because a spammer is using my spamcop address illegally not qualify as a discussion about the SpamCop Email system?

21035[/snapback]

...Because it is not a problem or question unique to the SpamCop e-mail service.

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 01:41 PM]From your various posts, I see your always defending SpamCop instead of helping to make it better – so I expected you to somehow blame me for the problem – but just moving my post – that’s funny.

21035[/snapback]

...Wazoo was not blaming you for anything (except, perhaps, by implication, not providing enough information to be able to give you any advice). You will note that he did not even criticize you for having posted in the wrong forum (because your choice was understandable, even defensible, based on the forum descriptions that you quoted).

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 01:41 PM]Don’t you just love the irony of a system that is all about reporting spammers for their activity and expecting the ISP’s to take action – yet that very system doesn’t take any action when the .ru spammers attack their own customers.

21035[/snapback]

...It's not SpamCop's job to do that! SpamCop is a reporting service that facilitates finding the right abuse addresses to which to report spam and that, as an optional additional service, provides e-mail boxes filtered with the blocklist consisting of the IP addresses that are reported sources of spam (at least, those that meet its criteria for inclusion on the blocklist). Even if SpamCop's mission did include taking action against spammer attacks, you have not supplied any evidence for your assertion, so there's nothing SpamCop could be reasonably expected to do.

...There are other users here who might be able to provide some advice to you if you would provide additional information, such as tracking URLs for any spam you received from a .ru source and reported through SpamCop.

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 01:41 PM]Don’t you just love the irony of a system that is all about reporting spammers for their activity and expecting the ISP’s to take action – yet that very system doesn’t take any action when the .ru spammers attack their own customers.

21035[/snapback]

All you can ever do about spam through SpamCop is complain to the ISP that generated or is otherwise responsible for the spam. If the spam that concerns you was generated in .ru domains, either their system administrators cannot read SpamCop complaints, or they don't care. The latter is probably the case.

For context, I have been receiving more of the (apparently) Russian spam, too, though for many years I have also recieved Chinese and Korean spam, so I don't think it's necessarily significant that we're seeing more of the (apparently) Russian stuff.

I keep hedging my statements because the spam may be encoded to look Russian but for all you know it could originate in Antarctica. The spamcop system can usually trace the source, though you cannot usually do more than complain to the ISP.

It seems like most of my spam may come from compromised computers, regardless of the content or apparent source of the message. I have read some estimates that as many of 80% of Microsoft Windows systems may have some sort of spyware or are otherwise under control or observation by remote systems. So one particular piece of Russian spam may come from your neighbor down the street, or an office worker in Brazil. And if you are running some sort of Microsoft OS your system is moderately likely to be a spam source, too.

spamcop.net,Dec 7 2004, 12:41 PM]Wazoo it's obvious from the tone in which you reply to most postings that your a total jerk.

You're more than welcome to your own opinion.

Of course you wouldn't discuss a solution, you just remark on where I posted. Try reading the forum discriptions.

In contrast, I'll invite you to head over and read the Topic at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1672

And how does my post about getting bombarded with email because a spammer is using my spamcop address illegally not qualify as a discussion about the SpamCop Email system?

First of all, let me point out the bit of "new" information here. That the bounces were being "sent" to your SpamCop e-mail address was not stated before ...

From your various posts, I see your always defending SpamCop instead of helping to make it better

I'm not aware of "defending" anything, and your "always" suggests that there are many posts you've not seen or read. The "instead of" thing .. Julian codes the actual tool-set, JT runs the e-mail side of the house .. I don't see where I have my fingers on the controls of anything. Some of the things I have accomplished have generated a number of thanks and kudos, but those things aren't near as visible as the parsing engine or the e-mail filtering ... so will just again repeat, you are welcome to your own opinion.

– so I expected you to somehow blame me for the problem – but just moving my post – that’s funny.

Your problem has yet to be actually defined, so I haven't a clue as to what blame you may have been expecting.

Don’t you just love the irony of a system that is all about reporting spammers for their activity and expecting the ISP’s to take action – yet that very system doesn’t take any action when the .ru spammers attack their own customers.

And again ... what are you going on about? You think I have the power to reach out, identify "your" pet spammer, simply ask him/her to leave you alone, and the world goes on? Thanks for the praise, but .....

You think I have the power to reach out, identify "your" pet spammer, simply ask him/her to leave you alone, and the world goes on?  Thanks for the praise, but .....

21041[/snapback]

"ask" is evidently not enough (or they wouldn't keep doing it). "convince" would be better, but is rather improbable. "force" would be excellent, but would require unprecedented international support, understanding, cooperation, and enforcement of toothy anti-network-abuse laws that would threaten the tyranny of the corrupt and apathetic (including those idiots at the IETF who supported RFC3912, which obsoletes the requirements for WHOIS contact details in RFC954).

Archived