IMAP Auto Purge

Mprachar

I use IMAP with OL2003 and, occasionally, my Treo mail and the webmail. I've got everything working pretty smoothly, except there is no clean way for me to purge my deleted mail routinely. In OL, the purge option is an "all-or-nothing" scenario. So when I do finally purge, it kills EVERYTHING marked as deleted. I have been Googling around and have found lots of scripts for automating the pruge process and, most importantly, specifying criteria for what exactly to purge (say all deleted messages over 30 days old.)

Can we have a maintenance oiption in the webmail to do this? Ideally, I would not have to log into webmail to make it happen, but I generally get in there once a month for something or other anyway so that would be ok.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi, Mike,

...Like you, I use OL2k3, although with MS Exchange and no SpamCop e-mail. When I want to delete messages, I just mark the ones I want to delete and hit the Delete key. Is this not a useful way for you to accomplish what you are trying to do?

If I am reading it correctly, he wants to delete the messages but not purge them (actually remove them from the mailbox) for a set amount of time.

I don't use IMAP in that way. I only use IMAP to transfer any spam messages that happen to get to my desktop back to my account for reporting.

However, in the spamcop options under the Deleting and Moving Messages section, there is a switch that says: When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted?

If this works from a remote IMAP client as it does from the webmail IMAP client, the trash folder can be configured to automatically delete after a certain number of days using the Maintenance Operations options. I keep mine around for 2 days but I believe the purge only physically happens when you log into webmail.

Thanks for the input; a quick recap:

* Yes, my deleting is just fine; it's the purge that is an issue.

* I don't use the webmail, and the delete/trash folder thing only works with webmail. Not that it's really the best solution anyway.

* I use a couple of different mail clients including from my cell phone so "ditch Microsoft" is not a practical option (although it's usually everyone's favorite suggestion.)

All that being said, I may have to use another client or small program to log onto my mail via a scheduled process and do the housekeeping. This is not the end of the world; however I would like to suggest that the operator of the paid mail service incorporate this feature into their product. Not only would it make it better, but I have to assume that MANY less GB of email would get left on the Spamcop servers. I know my account can get absolutely huge any no one says boo about it... ever.

Mike

I may have to use another client or small program to log onto my mail via a scheduled process and do the housekeeping. This is not the end of the world; however I would like to suggest that the operator of the paid mail service incorporate this feature into their product.

21387[/snapback]

It would be cool if ALL the filters and maintenance options worked independently of the webmail interface. Some email services do this, though as you can imagine the interface to set up and test the filters outside of webmail might be more complicated.

I connect to the Spamcop servers from all sorts of clients but in order for the filters to run I often leave the webmail open on a computer somewhere. That way I don't have to configure the filters in all my clients. I'm not exactly HAPPY with this arrangement, but it works for now.

It would be cool if ALL the filters and maintenance options worked independently of the webmail interface. Some email services do this, though as you can imagine the interface to set up and test the filters outside of webmail might be more complicated.

21389[/snapback]

I would be willing to log on occasionally as well if it would work, but the option I want is not there at all.

Any Thunderbird whizzes out there? I don't think that client will do it either....

Archived