"."

me again

I've gotten a few emails that have a period "." in the from box and a period in the body of the message (and nothing else). When I hit the reply button, my email address was in the "send to" box instead of the spammers email address.

Has anyone ever experienced this and can anyone explain it? :blink:

First suggestion ... please take a trip over to the "How to Use ...." Forum ... take some time and read through some of the Reporting entries. Your identified scenario / spam is simply too scary to try to spend time now / here ... you need to take a look at the insecurity involved in your methodology .. quickly!

Here are two examples:

From - Sat Feb 26 04:35:49 2005

X-Apparently-To: car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com via 206.190.36.219; Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:02:01 -0800

Authentication-Results: mta127.mail.re2.yahoo.com from=yahoo.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

X-Originating-IP: [200.191.129.171]

Return-Path: <car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com>

Received: from 200.191.129.171 (HELO 200191129171-dial-user-ECP.acessonet.com.br) (200.191.129.171) by mta127.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:02:01 -0800

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:35:49 +0000

From: "-" <car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com>  Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book

To: car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com

Subject: -

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Length: 6

And:

From - Thu Feb 24 08:00:54 2005

X-Apparently-To: car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com via 206.190.36.126; Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:28:19 -0800

Authentication-Results: mta152.mail.re2.yahoo.com from=yahoo.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

X-Originating-IP: [213.197.68.51]

Return-Path: <car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com>

Received: from 213.197.68.51 (HELO line-68-51.dial.freestart.hu) (213.197.68.51) by mta152.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:28:19 -0800

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:00:54 +0000

From: "-" <car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com>  Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book

To: car54_where_are_you[at]yahoo.com

Subject: -

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Length: 23

Corenda Beausejour

Yahoo didn't even detect that they are spam. There is no message attached to them.

What mail application are you using? Many offer the "forward as attachment" directly from the inbox listing.

Also, to be more exact, it should be "NEVER, NEVER open a spam email" while online or whe your machine can tell the spammer you opened it.

Most mail applications have options to turn off HTML rendering which will stop most of those types of sneaky things. Also be sure to enable any warning when the originator is requesting read-receipt (I still get a couple of those a year).

OK. It appears you are using Yahoo webmail (to answer my first question, you must have been posting that while I created this message).

Second of all, you should edit all email addresses in your postings. Spammers frequent these forums and can collect email addresses.

As you can see from:

Return-Path: <car54_where_are_you<at>yahoo.com>
and

the spammer/ virus has forged your email address as the sender and return address, which is why when you reply to the message your address shows up. This is one reason why you should never reply to spam, usually you will be bothering some innocent third party (the other reason is that you will confirm your address if it does go to the spammer).

If I don't open the email, then I can't forward it to spamcop and can't see the headers, which spamcop needs.  So what to do???

Once again, now that you have "us" guessing at what you are trying to do ... check the "How to Use ..." Forum (I'd say again, but you made no mention of looking after the last suggestion) ... Take a look a a quick write-up I did on an e-mail submittal from a (U.S.) Yahoo.com web-mail account.

Once again, now that you have "us" guessing at what you are trying to do ... check the "How to Use ..." Forum (I'd say again, but you made no mention of looking after the last suggestion) ... Take a look a a quick write-up I did on an e-mail submittal from a (U.S.) Yahoo.com web-mail account.

24832[/snapback]

All of those things were already done. However...

In my yahoo account, I cannot forward an email as an attachment unless I actually click on the email itself.

If I don't click on the email, then there is no "forward to" button. However, once I click on the email, a "forward to" button appears.

Yes, it does look as though you have to at least highlight the email, but if you use the preferences first and set the security options, then even if it opens or downloads (I forget the terms used), it is harmless. You also have to choose 'forward as attachment' in the preferences, though you can still forward inline, but you have to deliberately choose it.

It is easier to say 'never open a spam email' but as JeffG pointed out, it is online that is dangerous. If you have disabled the HTML, then the code doesn't work and, of course, if you are offline, it can't go anywhere.

Miss Betsy

It is easier to say 'never open a spam email' but as JeffG pointed out, it is online that is dangerous.

24851[/snapback]

That was StevenUnderwood, but thanks for thinking of me. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, it does look as though you have to at least highlight the email, but if you use the preferences first and set the security options, then even if it opens or downloads (I forget the terms used), it is harmless.  You also have to choose 'forward as attachment' in the preferences, though you can still forward inline, but you have to deliberately choose it.

<snip>

24851[/snapback]

...Also, "me again", you may wish to send an e-mail to the Yahoo!Mail administrators to request the capability to "forward as attachment" without having to first open the e-mail.

...Glad you brought this up -- if I remember next time I've got my Yahoo!Mail open, I'll take my own advice! :) <g>

Archived