Forum "Read Marks" Malfuctioning in Firefox 1.0.2

Jeff G.

I am having a problem with the blue Forum "Read Marks". Normally, they are dark blue if there is something new for me in a particular Forum, and light blue if there is nothing new. If I click on a dark blue one, it is supposed to turn light blue. None of the dark blue ones are turning light blue for me today. This is happening in Firefox 1.0.2, while the same actions work fine in IE6 (which I no longer want to use).

The "triggering" of this icon page is technically based on cookie data. There is data held in the database on last message read, last Topic read, date/time of last visit, even the time of the last 'activity' .... there is also a session time-out qualifier .. all of which get into the generation of a new cookie when the data changes. This was also an answer (in another Topic) of how when you deleted the cookie or used another machine with no existing cookie that ipon login, the Forum knew where the new/old line was.

That said, I'm still running into the opposite problem, not seeing the "new" indicators for some reason. For instance, I've found that I have to hit all the Forum sections first, and only upon catching up there can I go read my PMs ... I read the PMs first and come back to the Forum, all the "new" icons have changed, so it's the matter of having to look at the date/time of the last posts to figure out which section/Topics I hadn't read yet. (IE6 / 98SE on the main system)

I've now cleared my Firefox cookies for forum.spamcop.net, and am in the process of testing the results, reading using "View New Posts" for the moment. Wazoo, does "View New Posts" work for you in the situation you described? Thanks!

Ok, now it is back to its "normal" malfunctioning behavior, where I have to press the dark blue button, but at least doing so now turns that button light blue.

Wazoo, does "View New Posts" work for you in the situation you described?

Admitting that I've not tried this in a long while, but my recollection is 'no' ... there seemd to be a mix of message_id and date/time involved. Take a bit too much time looking at a 'recent' entry and that would set the new/old trigger ...

Last night (or was it the night before?) I was trying to sort something out that StevenUnderwood brought up ... had thid Forum opened up, the ACP for this Forum in another window, half-a-dozen or so skin/scri_pt files opened in other windows, the IPB support Forum opened up ... I nodded out somehow <g> ... O went to back up one an ACP window, session_id had timed out, had to log in again, brought up that page .... but that was where the 'history' also stopped ... I couldn't back up any further .. had to close that whole set of windows and start all over again .. and naturally, that got me into a "low resources warning mode" which led to a shutdown/reboot and start all over yet again <g> (and after all that, I'm still at a loss for an answer .. (and as usual, dozens of views on my query over in the IPB support Forum with no response yet from anyone)

Past experience with Windows has shown me that Win2000 is much better at mitigating leaks in System Resources from IE and other apps than were Win98 and Win95. The same is probably true for Win2003 and WinXP, but I don't get to beat on them as much as Win2000.

OK, here's wicked situation ... I responded to a newsgroup posr by pointing back 'here' ... Mike E. took exception that I provided a LoFi link to the whole Topic, perturbed that he was forced to read the entire discussion, suggesting how nice it would be to have a Forum link include the link to a specific message ....

Situation was that the Forum was already open, showing two sections with 'new' content. Phone call came in, brother with a flat tire outside of town and an unknown status as to what he had on-board ... closed windows here, started calling around to borrow a tire on a Chevy rim, jad a neighbor volunteer to make the sevice run just to be able to laugh at the situation in person ... so ...

Hit the LoFi link from the newsgroup posting, turned that back into a "full" display, grabbed the message-ID from the post Mike was citing, composed a newsgroup response pointing out the specific link, added a few more comments, etc.

Closed that Forum page view, hit the shortcut to fire up the Forum, and was met with a view that showed no "new" traffic. However, doing the "date" thing again, came into this Forum and saw three 'new' Topic icons. Very confusing.

Archived