Newsgroup spammer/abusive posts

NX1977

Long time Spamcop reporter, just after a little help.

On a newsgroup I post to, one individual has taken it upon himself to clone my posting name (yet not his email) and is posting abusive and liablous posts. :angry:

I know his ISP is Optusnet.co.au, and he posts through Google using a Hotmail account (to register for Google Groups).

Hotmail wouldn't want to know as it's not originating from their system. Google say they aren't responsible for anything their users post, and Optus don't appear to be doing anything - it's been 2 months now. I've changed my post name and spoof email, yet he is still posting using my old name.

Backing down hasn't helped, he's basically implying that he is me, and posting statements which are completly untrue - that's I'm a kiddy fiddler, pevert etc etc. His content is getting worse. He has been doing this for some time with others also (in other groups), so why won't Google or Optus do anthing? I now feel I've been devnull'd for any report I send them.

How can I get this guy to stop? My thinking now is to seek damages from both Google & Optus for continuing to allow this guy to post.

Speaking of spam... dubble posting does not result in any additional responses.

You might check with the newgroup adm. and see if they will block postings from "your old" name.

Speaking of spam...  dubble posting does not result in any additional responses.

You might check with the newgroup adm. and see if they will block postings from "your old" name.

28294[/snapback]

The newsgroup is unmoderated unfortunately, so postings are there for the duration.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas how to make the parties involved take note of abuse reports. Others are getting the same treatment to their abuse reports.

To me, seems the only recourse will be to threaten them with leagl action. But that'd be alot of work, and cash!

Appologies for the double post, other post has been edited for admin to remove. :blush:

On a newsgroup I post to, one individual has taken it upon himself to clone my posting name (yet not his email) and is posting abusive and liablous posts.   :angry:

This happens just about everywhere. For the regular participants, it's really not that big of a deal as this is so well known, and (usually) your posts have a certain rhyme/rhythm, so it's easy to see that the "other you" isn't "you" .... newbies have many more learning opportunities agead of them.

I know his ISP is Optusnet.co.au, and he posts through Google using a Hotmail account (to register for Google Groups). 

Backing down hasn't helped,  he's basically implying that he is me, and posting statements which are completly untrue - that's I'm a kiddy fiddler, pevert etc etc.  His content is getting worse.  He has been doing this for some time with others also (in other groups), so why won't Google or Optus do anthing?  I now feel I've been devnull'd for any report I send them.

I'm not sure what you've asked Google, but abusive, sexual, etc. stuff in a non-sex group bumps up against some standards .. I know for a fact that they have in fact removed some posts for these reasons (suspecting the "they used my posting name" is not going to get very far) ... Another question might be why others aren't also complaining if the posts are that disruptive.

Hotmail wouldn't want to know as it's not originating from their system.  Google say they aren't responsible for anything their users post, and Optus don't appear to be doing anything - it's been 2 months now.  I've changed my post name and spoof email, yet he is still posting using my old name.

Hmmm, you're reading words typed from an individual that recently had his HotMail account terminated "due to spamming" .. the "spam" being an attempted complaint about a user abusing the webTV-spamcop.net newsgroup feed .... Google, see above (a lot of details not offered, so don't know where that fits in) ... Optus, perhaps the same scenario, focusing in on the 'name' rather than the 'abusive' posts themselves??

How can I get this guy to stop?  My thinking now is to seek damages from both Google & Optus for continuing to allow this guy to post.

Not sure I see a 'reasonable' lawyer taking the case ... how are you going to 'prove' the damages for instance?

Appologies for the double post, other post has been edited for admin to remove. :blush:

Would really have rathered that you'd not have used the "Report this Post" function ... this currently sends a copy of your report as a PM (with an e-mail notice) to all of the Admins/Moderators ... it's normal use is the notification of an abusive/nasty post 'here' so that someone can take care of the item quickly ... as I was on-line when it was received, the post/Topic was deleted, leaving the other folks wondering why the URL gets them an error when attempting to respond to your "Report this Post" alert .... such an obvious boo-boo would have been caught by any one of us in our normal reading/responding mode ... (Noting that I had moved your original post from the Reporting Help Forum to the Lounge, so there may have been some 'timing' issues involved with the duplicaiton)

This happens just about everywhere.  For the regular participants, it's really not that big of a deal as this is so well known, and (usually) your posts have a certain rhyme/rhythm, so it's easy to see that the "other you" isn't "you" .... newbies have many more learning opportunities agead of them.

It's more the newbies which cause the problem. Although work colleagues also hang out in the group too, as it's really an industry led group. Luckily I don't use my business details in my posts, nor do I refer to them. Guess everywhere has their 'nut' lurking. I don't like people assuming his ramblings are true. Many people have had to be corrected when they start repeating his slur - they simply assume it's correct and true.

I'm not sure what you've asked Google, but abusive, sexual, etc. stuff in a non-sex group bumps up against some standards .. I know for a fact that they have in fact removed some posts for these reasons (suspecting the "they used my posting name" is not going to get very far) ... Another question might be why others aren't also complaining if the posts are that disruptive.

I know most of the regulars report him. He simply sets up another google group account and starts where he left off. For me, the responsibility lies with Optus for continuing business with him despite all the complaints.

Hmmm, you're reading words typed from an individual that recently had his HotMail account terminated "due to spamming" .. the "spam" being an attempted complaint about a user abusing the webTV-spamcop.net newsgroup feed .... Google, see above (a lot of details not offered, so don't know where that fits in) ... Optus, perhaps the same scenario, focusing in on the 'name' rather than the 'abusive' posts themselves??

Unsure. I know others have reported the content of his posts.

Not sure I see a 'reasonable' lawyer taking the case ... how are you going to 'prove' the damages for instance?

Guess that is true. Maybe I'll settle for an ISP/provider which actually deals with abuse reports.

Would really have rathered that you'd not have used the "Report this Post" function ... this currently sends a copy of your report as a PM (with an e-mail notice) to all of the Admins/Moderators ... it's normal use is the notification of an abusive/nasty post 'here' so that someone can take care of the item quickly ... as I was on-line when it was received, the post/Topic was deleted,  leaving the other folks wondering why the URL gets them an error when attempting to respond to your "Report this Post" alert ....  such an obvious boo-boo would have been caught by any one of us in our normal reading/responding mode ... (Noting that I had moved your original post from the Reporting Help Forum to the Lounge, so there may have been some 'timing' issues involved with the duplicaiton)

28297[/snapback]

Again appologies. Noted for next time. More a NTTP user than forums - much nicer IMO.

Given your IP Address, have you reported this behavior to New Scotland Yard? Perhaps the investigators there can have their counterparts in Australia give the miscreant a good talking-to.

Maybe I'll settle for an ISP/provider which actually deals with abuse reports.

If you're going to look around, you will want to look at Whirlpool anyway, why not give your problem some airtime on one of the forums there (maybe "On the internet" http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/)

Maybe someone there has further thoughts. Can't have people pushing us descendants of 6th division people around.

Good luck ...

Thanks Jeff G and Farelf.

Will look into your suggestions and see if I can make some more headway on this (clearly) bored looser.

Maybe there needs to be a law to keep such nutters away from the web? :D

You're welcome. IIRC, the concepts of defamation and impersonation were part of British law from before the 19th Century, so they should still exist both in the UK and in Australia. Then again, IANAL.

Archived