Reporting Forwarded Spam

apelton

I first joined SpamCop.net years and years ago, then dropped it for a while and have come back recently. As I recall, there used to be a feature where SpamCop added a very nice link to all of the email it forwarded to my other email address and I could simply click that link to submit a spam report for a particular email that had slipped through un-noticed.

This feature seems to no longer exist - and I really wish it did, because I have just started (at long last) using a gmail account, and now reporting spam involves a mind-numbing multiple step process of revealing options, opening windows, copying, pasting, and eventually reporting.

Can we have that link-thingy back, please?

I'm guessing you are talking about an e-mail submittal of your spam, but ... maybe wrong ... as far as using GMail, one would have to state that perhaps you haven't been to the "How to use .... SpamCop Reporting" section to see some of the tutorials/data there ..????

IIRC and according to the archive of the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine here, four to six years ago (starting between May 2, 1999 and Oct 13, 1999 and ending between Dec 2, 2001 and Jan 25, 2002, first described in the Membership benefits section of the home page here, and last described above "Advanced filtering account.." on the home page here), before the involvement of JT and Corporate Email Systems in the SpamCop Email System and its current Webmail, IMAP, and POP capabilities, SpamCop had a filtered email service that just forwarded or held mail, sent a C/R challenge for held mail, and included a Tracking URL for easily reporting any spam that slipped through. That capability is no longer available as of Jan 25, 2002.

My first shot at describing the unfriendly process of reporting a spam email message received via Gmail is as follows:

1. If at all possible, use the POP3 protocol to get the message away from the Gmail system and into a client that easily reveals full headers.

2. Read the message by clicking on it.

3. Click the "More options" link to reveal "more options".

4. Click the "Show original" link (never mind that it's not underlined) to open a pop-up window containing the complete message, including header, body, and any attachments.

5. "Ctrl+A" or local equivalent to select all.

6. "Ctrl+C" or "Ctrl+Ins" or local equiavalent to copy the complete message to your clipboard.

7. Close the pop-up window.

8. Paste into the big box on your SpamCop reporting page or continue to submit via email.

9. Click the "Compose Mail" Link in the top left corner of the Gmail browser window to compose a email message.

10. Click in the unlabled big box (the body of your submission) and paste in the complete message using "Ctrl+V" or "Shift+Ins" or local equivalent.

11. Paste your Submit Address into the "To:" box.

12. Click the "Send" Button to send your submission.

13. Wait for the email response or "Report Now" to show up, click on the Tracking URL, review the tracking and report recipients, and send the report as normal.

reporting a spam email message received via Gmail is as follows:

<snip>

30308[/snapback]

If I'm doing all that cutting and pasting in the first place, I find it easier to just open a Spamcop window, and paste into the web form.

IIRC and according to the archive of the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine here, four to six years ago (starting between May 2, 1999 and Oct 13, 1999 and ending between Dec 2, 2001 and Jan 25, 2002, first described in the Membership benefits section of the home page here, and last described above "Advanced filtering account.." on the home page here), before the involvement of JT and Corporate Email Systems in the SpamCop Email System and its current Webmail, IMAP, and POP capabilities, SpamCop had a filtered email service that just forwarded or held mail, sent a C/R challenge for held mail, and included a Tracking URL for easily reporting any spam that slipped through.  That capability is no longer available as of Jan 25, 2002.

Yes, way back when Julian handled the email side, there was a URL inserted into the headers which allowed you to report a particular piece of mail as spam. When JT took over, Julian no longer has access to the original mails, and so can't pre-load them into the system any more.

Maybe if you guys didn't keep burning the bridges to the NNTP crowd, you would have had someone from the old days here to answer that question more directly.

Maybe if you guys didn't keep burning the bridges to the NNTP crowd, you would have had someone from the old days here to answer that question more directly.

30350[/snapback]

woohoo, lets get OT! Please to be explaining the burning of the bridges? Last I checked, most people in the NG just get miffed at Wazoo pointing people to a web-forum for help, and then tend to killfile him. Who's burning what now? (I work for the gov't and even we don't get that upset at someone infringing on someone else's domain.)

30350[/snapback]

Anyone is welcome here. The main reason more "old-timers" did not migrate is that they do not like this interface and don't want to use it. Their perrogative.

Archived