Polling frequency

How often does SpamCop poll my Email account? I am using SC in the POP3 mode with Outlook Express, and am wondering what is the frequency with which SC checks my Email account.

BTW, SpamCop is working great! Very little spam makes it through and is now very manageable. I wish I had signed on earlier.

If your ISP allows it, having them forward your mail to your SpamCop account is a much beter choice than having SpamCop use POP to access it for you.

31162[/snapback]

Two reasons it is better...a forward will happen immediately as soon as the message hits your ISP's server... and it requires less processing to forward than to have the spamcop connect, authenticate, and collect the messages every 15 (or so) minutes.

it requires less processing to forward than to have the spamcop connect, authenticate, and collect the messages every 15 (or so) minutes.

31163[/snapback]

This situation reverses if that ISP account gets more than an average of 1 message every 15 minutes (96/day, 672/week).

This situation reverses if that ISP account gets more than an average of 1 message every 15 minutes (96/day, 672/week).

31166[/snapback]

I don't think it is that simple mainly because of the authentication part of the equation. POP is just more "chatty" needing to request each individual message and then probably delete it in a separate command. There would be a point where the download of multiple messages per connection would be less strain that the same number of individual SMTP threads but I think it is much higher than your estimate.

Archived