Invision Power Board security probs?

StevenUnderwood

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=189576

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=190609

Noting also that due to the reorganization of that Forum in the last few days, there are some broken referenced links in those Topics. There is a question about the "deleted the acount" remarks, but the general issue was that the attempted research was being done at the same time the entire IPB web-site was being restructured .. there were tons of broken links. At one time, there were (linked) pages sitting on a half-dozen different 'domain' servers. Part of that reorganization was moving 'everything' to one comon domain / server. The fact that this was happening on a "live" system was also causing a lot of traffic in the IPB support Forums with all the "helpful" folks pointing out that the web pages were "broken" all over the place (again, most of those folks being of the "post before reading" types ....

There are no "security" problems actually described in that write-up beyond the privacy concerns mentioned ... and that was primarily based on the broken link problem seen while the reorganizing of the main web-site was going on .....

Dang! .... now that the dots are connected ... where's the Privacy Policy here?

Off on a wild goose search, I believe <g>

For those who don't realize you're joking, starts at: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/168.html

33510[/snapback]

No, I really wasn't ... remember, one of my many faults (as pointed out in numerous Discussions here <g>) is the lack of any displayed sense of humor ....

Yes, your referenced link 'could' be applicable, yet .... caught up in that strange realm that all "this" stuff is running on JT's servers, not the hardware on the other coast. (Amazingly) JT has pretty much given me free rein on this thing (well, there are still some limits, darn it <g>) ... but I don't talk to any IronPort folks, I haven't had Don or any of the Deputies "tell" me to do anything in eons, my last direct correspondance 'from' Julian was a heck of a long time ago .... and let's not forget the NNTP and Forum split (though pointing out that both are hosted on JT's hardware)

Showing more ignorance, is there a (separate) Privacy Policy for the SpamCop e-mail account users? (or is that opening up / expanding the issue?)

No, I really wasn't ... remember, one of my many faults (as pointed out in numerous Discussions here <g>) is the lack of any displayed sense of humor ....

... Showing more ignorance, is there a (separate) Privacy Policy for the SpamCop e-mail account users?  (or is that opening up / expanding the issue?)

33512[/snapback]

S'Ok, Diplomacy is my middle name (or was that "Mendacity" - "I am a consistent liar" sort of rings a bell, have to check my batch record)

Certainly scope for PP on the email service IMO but have never come across it (not a subscriber either so more informed observer needed, the "club" informality doesn't seem adequate somehow - not even clubs are that informal). In the meantime, seems to me it doesn't matter what servers are where or who does what, http://www.spamcop.net/ is the front door and the referenced PP is behind it, complete with Ironport PP referral. IANAL but what "a reasonable person would infer" from all of that would have to impart some weight. Matters such as the potential for censorship/exclusion here should probably be informed by the PP as it stands. Absence of administrative guidelines could be viewed as "plausible deniability" in relation to the several owners? Not so plausible in my view but I'm just guessing.

Apropos of nothing, I note the snappy new "Moderator" and "Admin" shingles but in the latter case confess I was looking forward to something with lightning bolts and maybe an eagle or two.

In the meantime, seems to me it doesn't matter what servers are where or who does what, http://www.spamcop.net/ is the front door and the referenced PP is behind it, complete with Ironport PP referral.

Wow! Found it, not where I expected .. directly mentioned in the IronPort Policy. No date on page (or seen in a quick slide through the source code) but I know that this particular data wasn't there the last time I looked at it (although I've no idea how long ago that was)

Apropos of nothing, I note the snappy new "Moderator" and "Admin" shingles but in the latter case confess I was looking forward to something with lightning bolts and maybe an eagle or two.

33535[/snapback]

Funny, but you're not the only one thinking those lines. I actually had no intention of adding anything on myself, but after some discussion with fellow Moderators, I went back in and added 'my' button. There have been a few offers of something 'better' (a few not really for public display <g> ... but ...

Bottom line, the Moderating team has been very active, and I've taken advantage of that to spend a bit more time doing other things. So let me say once again, thanks to all that chip in around here. Much appreciated!

Bottom line, the Moderating team has been very active, and I've taken advantage of that to spend a bit more time doing other things.  So let me say once again, thanks to all that chip in around here.  Much appreciated!

33539[/snapback]

You're welcome!

... the Moderating team has been very active ...

33539[/snapback]

Indeed. Going from strength to strength with quality contributions and guidance from all, if I'm any judge. And from other well-clued members willing to spend their time. Even I may yet learn something of this "whitefella magic" at this rate. Wish I didn't have to but numinous incomprehension doesn't seem an option. Plaudits well deserved. Consider yourselves all well 'plauded from here.

Plaudits well deserved. Consider yourselves all well 'plauded from here.

9 - 5.5 - 10 - 9.5 - 4.5 - 10

The, "5.5", and the, "4.5" were from the Russian and Chinese judges, respectively.

Those are pretty decent marks for the Ordinals. The scores for Artistic Impression, ... wellll, ... say; hows about them Red Sox?

Happy trails,

Archived