[Resolved] Being spammed by Spamcop ?

Mishkle

Hello There!

Today I signed up to spamcop with the view that it would be of great benefit to me. I still believe that it can help both myself and many users world wide.

However, I am now being spammed by SpamCop. Yes, it sounds crazy. I appologize if this has been brought up before.

Every time I click "Send/Recive Mail" in outlook, I find a new message from SpamCop has appeared. It has the following characteristics:

To: michael [at] xmgnetworks. com

Cc:

Subject: Spamcop account configuration: success

Content:

The to address is my email, and I have made it harder to simply copy paste those emails for avoidance of spam reasons. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would correc this problem? I have now recieved about 50 of these emails.

This is part of the mailhost configueration process.

Have you completed the process?

Since the pasted reply is incomplete, I can not tell if it is simply the first step that you need to reply to or if it is the final confirmation.

Also are the headers the same for each of the confirmation emails, ie exact same time stamp (duplicate copies) or are the separate messages.

Also when you delete the copies are the original still on the mail server so that each time you log on and download mail it is simply downloading the same copy over and over again?

If you could submit a couple of these messages to the parser, cancel the reports and post the tracking URL's it would help us to determine what is going on.

Thanks for the Fast Reply!

I believe that I have completed the process, but I will review the email immediately and check to make sure I did everything right.

The headers are all exactly the same, EXCEPT for the time that it was sent.

When I delete the copies, they should be deleted from the mail server, but I will check on that setting now as well.

[EDIT]

It appears I have done all mentioned above.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z815783279z85...d4261b8cc11f25z

Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:05:48 -0500

Message-ID: <wh43_______558b[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z815839438ze2...1ab0fe27560ac6z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z815839469z5f...f11acd5e5ca993z

Jist using these two lines as an example, I can't see any difference between the messages ... these duplicates do not appear to be "re-sent" items ... rather read and re-read copies of the same e-mail .... munged ot not, the Message-ID: would surely change if these were actually 'new' e-mails.

Your toolset has not been mentioned ... for example, it you were using Outlook Express 6, I would suggest that your Pop3uidl.dbx file was corrupted .. but have to admit, even that is making some other wild assumptions ....

My mistake. Must of skipped over that bit.
Actually you probably missed it the first time because you read it before that last part about posting the Tracking URL was added. Sorry about that.

Please note that all 3 tracking URLs are for the exact same message.

As such I would say that the problem is that some how you are downloading the same message over and over again.

Things to check.

1) how many different email servers are you downloading mail from?

If more than one, delete the message and manually download for each server separately until you find out which one you are getting the duplicate message from.

Then check your settings for that server and unclick the keep copy on server.

One item to note, need help from someone else as to its meaning is the following id keeps changing:

Received: from [204.15.82.27] (helo=vmx1.spamcop.net)

by xmgred.xmgnetworks.com with esmtp (Exim 4.52)

id 1EQYcW-0004fh-Sn

for x; Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:05:48 -0500

id 1EQYcW-0004fh-L7

id 1EQYcW-0004fh-Sn

It would appear to me that you posted two tracking URL's for the exact same copy of the message and one tracking URL's for a separate copy of the message, but that is just my guess

I was unsure of how to cancel the report.

34239[/snapback]

This is actually a separate issue which will be a problem when you start trying to report spam.
No body provided, check format of submission
The reason you could not cancel the reports was the fact that none were generated because the submitted copy did not have a body (this was not a problem for the purposes of this topic because we were only interested in the headers anyway)
X-SpamCop-note: Converted to text/plain by SpamCop (outlook/eudora hack)
How did you submit the messages to the parser?

Forward, or copy and paste?

You may need to use the alternate two window copy and paste method, headers in the first window, body in the second window.

First,

I used two completely new copies of the message when I posted those last two tracking URL's. Thats how many I am getting of this email.

My count is now up to 49 (almost 50! WooT!).

Second,

I am using Microsoft Outlook.

Third,

Problem seems to be solved now. I restarted the mail server and all seems to be fine now. Some kind of weird glitch I am guessing.

Thank you for the help. Next time I'll restart it first before wasting your time :(

[edit]

dbiel, it seems you posted while I was (hate it when that happens).

I am using the copy paste method because the forwarding method always gave me errors.

Second,

I am using Microsoft Outlook.

34254[/snapback]

Be sure you take the time to read the entries in the FAQ about using Outlook. The method you are currently using will not work for reporting spam.
[edit]

dbiel, it seems you posted while I was (hate it when that happens).

I am using the copy paste method because the forwarding method always gave me errors.

Be sure to use the alternate two window method. "Select outlook/eudora workaround form"

One item to note, need help from someone else as to its meaning is the following id keeps changing:

id 1EQYcW-0004fh-L7

34251[/snapback]

The "id" you are highlighting are codes generated "by xmgred.xmgnetworks.com" ....

It's tough to tell for sure from what you've posted so far, but perhaps your mailserver was accepting not-quite-complete messages for delivery, and yet giving the SpamCop mailserver vmx1.spamcop.net 400-series requests to try again later. If you want to delve deeper, you and a SpamCop Admin (service[at]admin.spamcop.net) could compare and contrast your logs.

Jeff G. you have me a bit confused. Since the messages all have the exact same sent time stamp, I don't see how a "400-series requests to try again later" could come into play. It appears to simply be a problem with the receiving mail server of not deleting the message from the queue and repeatedly resending it each time the user deleted it and logged back in to download messages. The users response "Problem seems to be solved now. I restarted the mail server and all seems to be fine now. Some kind of weird glitch I am guessing." appears to support that assumption.

Archived