Secureserver, 553 "relaying denied"

I'm a long time user of spamcop. but mostly set-it-and-forget-it: I report dozens of spam daily via the quickreports from webmail... but rarely have time to dig into the odd funny thing that happens.

This recurring thing annoyed me enough... to find the forum again, hello!

I can't get mail to this guy. I researched very slightly, found that one big provider associated with secureserver.net (GoDaddy) is often accused of poorly configuring its own servers and DNS so it rejects its own relays.

Is that all this is? Or are spamcop users being targetted as troublemakers ;-)

-tx

Richard

---

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mailgate.cesmail.net.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<name[at]thesite.com>:

64.202.166.12 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 553 sorry, relaying denied from your location [216.154.195.36] (#5.7.1)

Giving up on 64.202.166.12.

Y:\>ping -a 64.202.166.12

Pinging smtp.secureserver.net [64.202.166.12] with 32 bytes of data:

---

Is that all this is?  Or are spamcop users being targetted as troublemakers ;-)

36969[/snapback]

It is quite possible that they have configured their systems to reject all connections from spamcop servers. Have you tried sending from another server, your ISP perhaps?

As a customer of both SpamCop and GoDaddy who needs them to play nice with each other (and has seen them not doing so from the Reporting System), I think that both JT and Don need to discuss this issue (logs in hand) with GoDaddy's 24/7 Support line at (480) 505-8877 per GoDaddy's "Contact Us" Page, so I'm contacting them off-Forum about this.

FTR, please note that:

1. GoDaddy appears to be using a global spam filter.
  2. Said filter bounces mail it doesn't like (can you say "backscatter"?).
  3. Their use of said filter is not generally disclosed to their customers (I found out the hard way).
  4. Said filter is unavoidable (without whitelisting domains ending in a through z).
  5. Said filter includes content checking that checks URLs against the SBL or something that the SBL feeds.

I object to items 2 through 4 above.

It is quite possible that they have configured their systems to reject all connections from spamcop servers.  Have you tried sending from another server, your ISP perhaps?

36970[/snapback]

To answer that bit: I did get an email through from another server. Just wondering about the spamcop issue!

To answer that bit: I did get an email through from another server.  <snip>

37005[/snapback]

...That seems to support StevenUnderwood's supposition:
It is quite possible that they have configured their systems to reject all connections from spamcop servers.  <snip>

36970[/snapback]

In other words, not a SpamCop issue, per se, but rather an issue on the receiving server.

As a customer of both SpamCop and GoDaddy who needs them to play nice with each other (and has seen them not doing so from the Reporting System), I think that both JT and Don need to discuss this issue (logs in hand) with GoDaddy's 24/7 Support line at (480) 505-8877 per GoDaddy's "Contact Us" Page, so I'm contacting them off-Forum about this.

36982[/snapback]

216.154.195.36 = mailgate.cesmail.net belongs to the Email Service. SpamCop reports go out from 204.15.82.27 = vmx1.spamcop.net and 204.15.82.29 = vmx2.spamcop.net

I guess I'll leave this up to JeffT. I don't see any problem on the reporting side. Our reports appear to be getting to abuse[at]godaddy.com with no problem. The system hasn't logged any bounces since Jan, 2004.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Is that all this is?  Or are spamcop users being targetted as troublemakers ;-)

-tx

Richard

---

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mailgate.cesmail.net.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<name[at]thesite.com>:

Remote host said: 553 sorry, relaying denied from your location [216.154.195.36] (#5.7.1)

Giving up on 64.202.166.12.

Y:\>ping -a 64.202.166.12

Pinging smtp.secureserver.net [64.202.166.12] with 32 bytes of data:

---

36969[/snapback]

I just tested and, as of right now, they are accepting email from that server again. I guess they figured out their error.

JT

I just tested and, as of right now, they are accepting email from that server again. I guess they figured out their error.

JT

37044[/snapback]

This just bounced. Different, still not useful.

---

<XX[at]xxx.com>:

The user does not accept email in non-Western (non-Latin) character sets.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Received: (qmail 5449 invoked from network); 2 Dec 2005 23:37:37 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO pre-smtp05-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net) ([64.202.166.15])

(envelope-sender <webmaster[at]muchoswing.com>)

by smtp06-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP

for <xx[at]xx.com>; 2 Dec 2005 23:37:37 -0000

Received: (qmail 21489 invoked from network); 2 Dec 2005 23:37:37 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO mailgate.cesmail.net) ([216.154.195.36])

(envelope-sender <webmaster[at]muchoswing.com>)

by pre-smtp05-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP

for <xx[at]xx.com>; 2 Dec 2005 23:37:37 -0000

Received: (qmail 12077 invoked from network); 2 Dec 2005 23:37:36 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO gamma.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.20)

by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 2 Dec 2005 23:37:36 -0000

Received: (qmail 16067 invoked by uid 99); 2 Dec 2005 23:37:36 -0000

Received: from mail.mycompany.com (mail.mycompany.com [209.82.51.154]) by

webmail.spamcop.net (Horde) with HTTP for

<rcurzon[at]spamcop.net[at]cesmail.net>; Fri, 02 Dec 2005 18:37:36 -0500

Message-ID: <20051202183736.q6puo0ckw4kk4o00[at]webmail.spamcop.net>

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 18:37:36 -0500

To: X X <xx[at]xx.com>

Subject: RE: Submitted Form Report

References: <003401c5f511$a9a57810$6401a8c0[at]t1>

In-Reply-To: <003401c5f511$a9a57810$6401a8c0[at]t1>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1256"

Content-Disposition: inline

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 4.0-cvs

<snip>

<snip>

---

36969[/snapback]

This just bounced.  Different, still not useful.

---

<XX[at]xxx.com>:

<snip>

37090[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but this looks like a completely different issue than the original issue you came here with. (note the text I highlighted)

37090[/snapback]

I've gotten that, too (before I started whitelisting). However, since I never use "non-Western (non-Latin) character sets" except by mistake (and I wouldn't understand them if my correspondents used them) it's not an issue for me. Have you tried whitelisting domains that end in a-z? Thanks!

I've gotten that, too (before I started whitelisting).  However, since I never use "non-Western (non-Latin) character sets" except by mistake (and I wouldn't understand them if my correspondents used them) it's not an issue for me.  Have you tried whitelisting domains that end in a-z?  Thanks!

37096[/snapback]

That didn't compute in my brain: isn't whitelisting and blacklisting to do with filtering incoming mail? My receiving mail is not the issue, it's his receiving mail.

The character set issue is bogus, I only use cesmail default and have never had any other feedback of that nature.

Anyway, I'll write it off to bad admin on the far side. tx

• 3 months later...

I figured out why this happens as I was testing my own e-mail forwarding scheme. I have multiple e-mail addresses some of which have real mailboxes and some do not.

Scenario: Mail Server A with ISP A

Let's say you send a message to someone[at]somewhere.com and that e-mail address has no real mailbox but instead uses mail forwarding, ISP A will send back a relay denied message similar to that mentioned in this forum.

It is correctly stating that someone[at]somewhere.com is an unknown user. The real user is someone[at]somewhere.net. That is the account with the mailbox. The other account uses mail forwarding. Some ISPs treat this as relaying.<br>

Scenario: Mail Server B with ISP A

Thus, when sending mail to a non-mail box through an ISP that does not allow relaying through their mail, you have to either use a web-based mail such as Hotmail or though your mail application (Mail Server B with ISP A) or see last scenario.

Scenario: Mail Server A with ISP A - with alternate SMTP settings

set your outgoing mail server to smtp.secureserver.net.

That didn't compute in my brain: isn't whitelisting and blacklisting to do with filtering incoming mail?

37287[/snapback]

Sorry, I meant "Has your intended recipient tried whitelisting at GoDaddy?".

"Has your intended recipient tried whitelisting at GoDaddy?"

If the address is simply a mail forwarding arrangement on a GoDaddy-registered domain, they won't be able to do that...GoDaddy doesn't offer whitelisting for mail forwards, and I don't think they offer whitelisting features even on full POP3 accounts, either.

DT

Archived