spamcop abusing the innocent

casagozo

I receive the bounce message below when sending pictures to my kids. I don't know where SpampCop comes into the picture as I'm sending e-mail from my earthlink address to my own web site's e-mail addresses, but this is absurd. Some loser has reported 209.239.37.121 as a spamming address, and now I can't send e-mail??? Maybe this IP address has had a spammer problem in the past, but it's really stupid that I can't appeal this blockade to send e-mail to my own kids. (Note: the e-mail addresses have been changed to read "my domain")

============================

IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME GET SPAMCOP OUT OF THE PICTURE HERE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

============================

The original message was received at Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:47:55 -0500 from user-0c9hcjm.cable.mindspring.com [24.152.178.118]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <kidsnames[at]mydomain.com>

(reason: 550-Message rejected because host4.secureserver15.com [209.239.37.121] is)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mydomain.com.:

>>> DATA

<<< 550-Message rejected because host4.secureserver15.com [209.239.37.121] is <<< 550-blacklisted at bl.spamcop.net see Blocked - see <<< 550 http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?209.239.37.121

550 5.1.1 <kidsnames[at]mydomain.com>... User unknown <<< 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

I receive the bounce message below when sending pictures to my kids.

37588[/snapback]

It is more than "some loser reporting spam". There is spam coming from that address to spam traps. There are actual reports from humans that did not request the traffic. And it appears your ISP does not want to hear from spamcop any longer on this issue (which could mean they have fixed the problem or they are simply ignoring it).

It also appears you are on a shared email server (host 209.239.37.121 = host4.secureserver15.com) so it is likely you are simply collateral damage because someone else was spamming from your server. Talk to secureserver and complain you can not email. It should drop off the list in about 7 hours if no new spam is reported.

The ISP responsible for "kidsnames[at]mydomain.com" is the one utilizing theSpamCop BL to block unwanted messages from getting to their accounts. They should contact their ISP and ask how to whitelist your email address so your messages get through.

*****Data*****

209.239.37.121 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 7 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Friday, December 09, 2005 6:10:40 PM -0500:

Feedback from website

1580839372 ( 209.239.37.121 ) To: abuse[at]alabanza.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Friday, December 09, 2005 6:10:40 PM -0500:

Feedback from website

1580839379 ( 209.239.37.121 ) To: abuse[at]alabanza.com

Submitted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:56:23 AM -0500:

Feedback from website

1569571906 ( 209.239.37.121 ) To: abuse[at]alabanza.com

Submitted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:56:43 AM -0500:

Feedback from website

1569425998 ( http://www.bellsouth.net ) To: abuse[at]bellsouth.net

1569425996 ( 209.239.37.121 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

1569425991 ( 209.239.37.121 ) To: abuse[at]alabanza.com

ISP does not wish to receive report regarding 209.239.37.121

ISP does not wish to receive reports regarding 209.239.37.121 - no date available

I receive the bounce message below when sending pictures to my kids. I don't know where SpampCop comes into the picture as I'm sending e-mail from my earthlink address to my own web site's e-mail addresses, but this is absurd. Some loser has reported 209.239.37.121 as a spamming address, and now I can't send e-mail???

37588[/snapback]

From your description that Earthlink has had its Email servers listed because they fail to tackle the spew of spam moving through their server. You could talk to Earthlink and complain about their failure to address the problem.

But the trap is being implemented by your own "web site's e-mail address". In other words, you may have it within your own power to lift the block on receiving your own mail. If you run your own mail server then you could stop using the SpamCop block list to block incoming spam or set up a whitelist for your own addresses.

If you use the mail server of an ISP then speak to them about their use of the block list to block spam and get them to either whitelist your own address(es) or tag potential spam. However, in the end you may find that they prefer to keep their current protocols in place as spam causes them a great deal of expense in wasted bandwidth and server load and blocking is well established across the industry.

It is true that spammers have spoilt the Internet for everyone.

Andrew

I receive the bounce message below when sending pictures to my kids. I don't know where SpampCop comes into the picture as I'm sending e-mail from my earthlink address to my own web site's e-mail addresses, but this is absurd. Some loser has reported 209.239.37.121 as a spamming address, and now I can't send e-mail??? 

37588[/snapback]

You can send as much as you like: your kids' ISP chooses not to receive crap from your spam-friendly ISP. Their call, it costs them to receive all the spam spewing from the sewer that is Earthlink. Spend your $ more wisely with an ISP that does have a clue.

Archived