Suddenly unable to report spam

riktexan

Reported spam about 10 hours ago. This morning I cannot log in for either reporting or to web site. However, I am automatically logged in to forum.

Confused and wondering.  :(

Also reported elsewhere on this forum by several other users. A recurring or ongoing problem so it seems. This forum and the mail system are on a different server and appear to be working normally.

Also reported elsewhere on this forum by several other users. A recurring or ongoing problem so it seems. This forum and the mail system are on a different server and appear to be working normally.

38475[/snapback]

Noting that it is now over 90 minutes since the reported outage... All seems to be working for me here. No doubt a continuance of the reported and noted intermittent login issues.

Andrew

I logged in about 15 minutes ago, and for the first 14 minutes, this server was barely putting out any bytes, nor was the mail server, nor was the newsgroup server....ALL SpamCop services were marginally functional. This was well *after* the extended sytem outage that shows on the Reporting Server Status graphic. It looks like some extreme DOS attacks might have been underway, and were resolved only in the last few minutes.

DT

I logged in about 15 minutes ago, and for the first 14 minutes, this server was barely putting out any bytes, nor was the mail server, nor was the newsgroup server....ALL SpamCop services were marginally functional. This was well *after* the extended sytem outage that shows on the Reporting Server Status graphic. It looks like some extreme DOS attacks might have been underway, and were resolved only in the last few minutes.

38486[/snapback]

Always a possibility, as spamcop has many "friends" out there that would like it to go away, though its fairly unlikely that a DoS attack could be launched against all 3 services simultaneously, as they all reside in very different locations. I would check the throughput of your internet connection if you're experiencing problems with all the 3 sides, as they are 3 seperate services on 3 separate internet connections.

I would check the throughput of your internet connection if you're experiencing problems with all the 3 sides, as they are 3 seperate services on 3 separate internet connections.

I did that before posting. I tested my local connections using a variety of different services (HTTP, SSH, POP3) to non-SpamCop servers and they all were just fine. I think that my connection to the Reporting system was fine, but that the news, mail, and forum servers were quite sluggish. I'm pretty sure that all of those systems are under one roof in Georgia.

DT

they are 3 seperate services on 3 separate internet connections.

A little pinging and a few traceroutes show that three of the primary services (mail, news, and forums) are all in the same IP space. The "www.spamcop.net" is elsewhere (and distributed via the Akamai system), but not the services I was complaing about.

DT

I think that my connection to the Reporting system was fine, but that the news, mail, and forum servers were quite sluggish. I'm pretty sure that all of those systems are under one roof in Georgia.

38489[/snapback]

Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff includes that breakout, though doesn't mention that the Reporting side of the house ues the services of Akamai as one of those DoS defenses.

Archived