Blocked because ISP is at fault

GrootBrak

I have lodged three disputes already with no replies from spamcop.

Below is the printout from the site.

I believe that I am being innocently targeted by SpamCop, but they are really not trying to be helpfull.

First of all, I am using an IMAP account and used to access it on internet itself. The account is from www.myrealbox.com and believe me, they don't tolerate spam.

I have now set up Linux on my home PC and use only GPRS with my cellphone to access internet. The moment I've tried to send mail about two weeks ago, I was blocked. The trouble it seems, is that my phone gets assigned an IP adress by the network provider. Now I do believe there is a huge pile of spammers using this network, but I am NOT one of them. I actually used the account so little that I was often send a warning if I don't access it, then it will be closed. I know for sure that the IP adres in question does not belong to me. I have tried with another PC and my phone, but get the same result. The fun part is, when I access my account on Internet, I can send as usual, no blocked spam warnings whatsoever, so its definetly not linked to my email account, but I am still using the same phone to access internet, thus the same IP.

My problem is how to get myself clear from this "spammers?" I have removed my GPRS settings on my phone and requested the settings again in the hope of getting a new unlisted IP, but that did not help at all. It seems I am branded for life. I have lodged comlaints to my network provider at www.mtn.co.za, but they also don't reply.

When I use my phone to access my corporate mail, with the same PC, I can send mail as normal, but I do use another GPRS access point that I ahve to set up manually. (The blocked IP, is set up OTA,*Over The Air*, meaning no choices for me.) Is IP's differing from access point to access point? To be quite honest our corporate lan should be blocked for spam if I can count the thousands of junk being passed around.

Regards

196.11.245.33 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 22 hours.

Causes of listing

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

Automatic delisting

If you are the administrator of mtngprs7.mtn.co.za and you are sure it will not be the subject of any more reports of spam, you may cause the system to be delisted without waiting for us to review the issue.

You may only do this once per IP! So please be sure that the problem is really and truly resolved. If you delist your system and we get more spam reports about it, you will not be allowed to expedite delisting again. Delisting normally occurs 24 hours after spam reports have ceased.

You must be able to receive mail at one of the addresses below. Until you have received and confirmed your request, it will not take effect.

Looking for potential administrative email addresses for 196.11.245.33:

cannot find an mx for mtngprs7.mtn.co.za

196.13.230.130 is an mx ( 10 ) for mtn.co.za

Listing History

In the past 84.0 days, it has been listed 21 times for a total of 64.5 days

Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports

Dispute Listing

If you are the administrator of this system and you are sure this listing is erroneous, you may request that we review the listing. Because everyone wants to dispute their listing, regardless of merit, we reserve the right to ignore meritless disputes.

Dispute listing of 196.11.245.33

looks like there is more than spamtraps that got you listed:

Submitted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:34:22 AM -0400:

Rolex - satisfaction is guaranteed

1835873224 ( http://www.swisxselect.com/ ) To: mole[at]devnull.spamcop.net

1835873209 ( 196.11.245.33 ) To: mole[at]devnull.spamcop.net

someone behind that IP may have a zombied PC...or a spammer.

as for the neighbouring IP (196.11.245.34), deffinitely a spam factory:

Submitted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 4:32:23 AM -0400:

select ur perfect model

1846746332 ( http://www.hurrytiming.info/ ) To: postmaster#cnc-noc.net[at]devnull.spamcop.net

1846746321 ( http://www.hurrytiming.info/ ) To: abuse[at]cnc-noc.net

1846746304 ( 196.11.245.34 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

1846746281 ( 196.11.245.34 ) To: postmaster[at]mtn.co.za

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Friday, July 21, 2006 4:55:28 AM -0400:

Your future, mid-movement

1845934991 ( http://facbo2tmbucjcqczp66hto6zt666.coactivejj.... ) To: postmaster#cnc-noc.net[at]devnull.spamcop.net

1845934985 ( http://facbo2tmbucjcqczp66hto6zt666.coactivejj.... ) To: abuse[at]cnc-noc.net

1845934970 ( 196.11.245.34 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

1845934953 ( 196.11.245.34 ) To: postmaster[at]mtn.co.za

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:34:37 AM -0400:

Want to be a hero in a bed?

1838166951 ( 196.11.245.34 ) To: postmaster[at]mtn.co.za

I am not going to get into spamtraps, but they may be an indication of misdirected bounces..

Spamcop lists IP addresses. If your IP address that you get when you access via your phone is listed on the spamcop blocklist, then your problem is with whoever assigns that IP address, not spamcop.

Here, you might learn a little bit more about how email works here so that you have better questions to ask the person who provides you that IP address and why you are getting such unreliable service from them.

However, there is nothing that spamcop officials can do about your problem. the spamcop blocklist is entirely automatic. If there is spam coming from that IP address, then it will be on the blocklist. The users of the spamcop blocklist do not want to receive spam. If that means you have to use other means to contact those who are using the spamcop blocklist, that's your problem.

I hope that you find out enough information so that you can find a reliable provider of IP addresses that don't send spam.

Miss Betsy

I have lodged three disputes already with no replies from spamcop.

Disputing a listing is generally limited to someone from the ISP involved. From appearances, there are no "mistakes" in the earned listing, so even a 'correct' dispute request from 'an interested party' will carry no weight in this case.

I believe that I am being innocently targeted by SpamCop, but they are really not trying to be helpfull.

First of all, I am using an IMAP account and used to access it on internet itself. The account is from www.myrealbox.com and believe me, they don't tolerate spam.

Some of the fact developed later don't seem to tie into the sequence of words. I'm not sure where the disconnect starts.

I have now set up Linux on my home PC and use only GPRS with my cellphone to access internet. The moment I've tried to send mail about two weeks ago, I was blocked. The trouble it seems, is that my phone gets assigned an IP adress by the network provider.

Yes, everything conncted to the net has to have an IP address. The IP address you're talking about has some oddities associated with its use. It is assigned to someone called "Mobile Telephone Network" = "mtn.co.za" which would seem to tie in with your "GPRS cell-phone connection. However, it is listed at http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...g=196.11.245.33 as being seen as an e-mail output server, listed on several BLs in addition to SpamCop.net .. but it is also showing as the posting IP address used by yourself to post here. This indicates that your "cell-phone/betwork/ISP/host is allowing the use of the same server for a bunvh of outgoing traffic 'grom you' .. but this would also suggest that you're also sharing this server with a lot of other folks (for instance, the "magnitude" numbers of e-mail showing are in the realm of 10,000 e-mails a day .... kind of hard to believe that you'd be trying to do this via a cell-phone)

I have tried with another PC and my phone, but get the same result.

But you started this with "the IP address is assigned to your cell-phone connection" ... why would another PC solve anything, if you are going to use the "same connection" ...???? (Still haven't quite figured out this IP address to a "myrealbox IMAP" connection.)

The fun part is, when I access my account on Internet, I can send as usual, no blocked spam warnings whatsoever, so its definetly not linked to my email account, but I am still using the same phone to access internet, thus the same IP.

??? more likely, when "connected to your IMAP account" you're using the myrealbox e-mail servers, so no, it is not the "same IP address" .....

My problem is how to get myself clear from this "spammers?" I have removed my GPRS settings on my phone and requested the settings again in the hope of getting a new unlisted IP, but that did not help at all. It seems I am branded for life. I have lodged comlaints to my network provider at www.mtn.co.za, but they also don't reply.

Your ISP is the only one that can control the traffic leaving their servers. If bad traffic is coming from there, the other ISPs in the rest of the world are free to make decisions about whether or not to accept any of that traffic.

When I use my phone to access my corporate mail, with the same PC, I can send mail as normal,

Once again, the suggestion is that yet another IP addrsss of yet another e-mail server is in use for that e-mail.

but I do use another GPRS access point that I ahve to set up manually. (The blocked IP, is set up OTA,*Over The Air*, meaning no choices for me.) Is IP's differing from access point to access point? To be quite honest our corporate lan should be blocked for spam if I can count the thousands of junk being passed around.

It's actually beginning to look as if you only have an issue when trying to send e-mail from your "cell-phone account" provider, thus bringing us all back to square one .. your ISP has to get control of traffic on their system.

Looks like I can safely put the blame on my ISP. But with no answers from them, I doubt if I will be able to get to send email again. I mean I cannot go and try and get a new cell-number, and if it takes 10000 emails to get me listed, I don't think there is the slightest chance of me sending that many with a cell-phone!

To clear up an apperent misunderstanding. I have an IMAP account that is accessible via any PC connected to the web. Its something like those webmail thingies. I can always use an email app, in my case Thunderbird, to access my mail as well. When I log on to internet and use my webbrowser to access my mail, I am still able to send. But if I use Thunderbird (or even MSOutlook) I get this blocked message. Both methods use the same access point. My corporate access point won't allow connections to third party email systems, and it WinXP based, unlike my Linux at home.

And the ISP is Mobile Telephone Networks who is my GSM service provider, so all in all things is tying in, but I am still without a solution. It seems that once I was ofline for a day or so, I am delisted, but after only two mails send yesterday, I was listed again. Now try and send 10000 emails with a cellphone in one day!!! Now I wonder where is that junk generated? Is someone just waiting for me to go online and then use my IP or is it just a coincidence that I was able to send the mails?

Looks like I can safely put the blame on my ISP. But with no answers from them, I doubt if I will be able to get to send email again.

I need to clear up one thing you might not be understanding here. You can send as many emails as you want. Only recipients that are using the SpamCop blocklist will not get your messages. All others will.

As far as the magnitude of 10000 email per day, it is entirely possible that the IP address you are seeing is actually some kind of proxy server that your provider is using so that they don't have to get as many public IP addresses. This means that there could be many users on their network "using" this IP address at the same time, this would certainly account for the amount of traffic. While proxy servers are not a problem for web traffic, it is much better to route all the email traffic through a dedicated mail server.

As has been stated by others here, there is not much that can be done other than gripe to your ISP about getting their mail servers under control. It seems that they are apparently not very responsive to abuse complaints, as indicated by their listing, so I don't know how much luck you will have. If you are paying extra for the service, than I would definitely complain very loudly, and very often. If they have a phone number you can call, that is often much more effective than an email address where they can just quietly ignore your complaint just like they do with the abuse complaints sent to them.

It seems that once I was ofline for a day or so, I am delisted, but after only two mails send yesterday, I was listed again. Now try and send 10000 emails with a cellphone in one day!!! Now I wonder where is that junk generated? Is someone just waiting for me to go online and then use my IP or is it just a coincidence that I was able to send the mails?

Please note that it is not YOU personally that is being listed, nor the IP that you use to connect: it is the outging SMTP server of your ISP which is shared by thousands of customers. Don't get paranoid. Your ISP needs to identify the hack/trojanned machine that is spewing spam on their network.

Archived