Having trouble sending attachments

For many years I was able to successfully send attachments through my email account. This stopped working about a year ago. I checked the boards and saw an announcement that it had been repaired -- but I still haven't been able to send documents, etc, via attachment.

I've done it for several years on spamcop, so it's not a lack of understanding here.

I'm in grad school now, and it's rather important that I be able to send attachments.

Has the basic procedure changed? Can anyone suggest something?

I just did a test with a single word document attachement in both the old WebMail and the beta WebMail and both worked fine for me

After you clicked on the final "attach" button, what was the size of the attachements? and how many and what types?

The one problem I saw in the beta version was that the 4 entry fields To CC BCC Subject were simply blank boxes with no discription of what went where.

The one problem I saw in the beta version was that the 4 entry fields To CC BCC Subject were simply blank boxes with no discription of what went where.
That's actually a simple problem with the "color scheme" you're using in the beta. Please see the message I just posted in the pinned topic regarding the beta webmail.

DT

I just did a test with a single word document attachement in both the old WebMail and the beta WebMail and both worked fine for me

After you clicked on the final "attach" button, what was the size of the attachements? and how many and what types?

Yes, as I said, I have done this before successfully.

After I clicked on the final "attach" button (at the bottom of the screen), the file showed at its correct size (52,000 K long, so it's not like an overload of the email). It showed a successful attachment at the top.

I click "send" and it sends the message but no attachment.

Looks like we may be looking for the needle in the hay stack.

I am sorry that you read my first reply incorrectly. I was simply trying to get more detailed information from you to see if we could find something different in what you were doing that might be causing the problem for you.

Not that you are doing something wrong, but just different and that it might be that difference that is not working or is bug prone.

If you want to try to go farther, here is another series of questions.

Do you CC or BCC yourself at both your SpamCop address and at another non SpamCop address and if so do both fail to receive the attachment.

Does the attachment appear in the copy of the message in your sent file.

What are the exact file types that are failing? Word.doc, Excel.xls etc. Is there any pattern that can be seen?

What browser, version, operating system are you using? Could this be a factor.

Have you tried it using different computers and/or different locations and internet connections?

As I said earlier, we are looking for a needle in the hay stack.

It works for me, not for you (but it does/did in the past)

Does it always fail now, or just some times?

Have you tried parsing the message to see if the headers might give some indication of what is going on?

Do you still have a copy that did work and does it parse any differently?

Good luck finding the needle!

Yes, as I said, I have done this before successfully.

After I clicked on the final "attach" button (at the bottom of the screen), the file showed at its correct size (52,000 K long, so it's not like an overload of the email). It showed a successful attachment at the top.

I click "send" and it sends the message but no attachment.

Have you tried sending to different account to see if the receiving end is stripping attachments? I just tested with a simple text message to spamcop. yahoo, and work and all 3 were received with the attachment.

That being said, others here have reported issues sending attachments (look through other threads in this forum). We have never been able to get enough information to determine why they have issues while others have no problems at all.

To reiterate Steven's last .... there are a number of existing discussions where folks had issues, passed me their account data, in which I logged then logged into their accounts, using various browsers, and was never able to duplicate their 'problem' .... and then the issue dropped as those folks chose not to follow up ... so whether the problem cleared itself up, they figured out what they were doing wrong, or they decided it wasn't worth persuing ....?????? Damn hard to troubleshoot the issue without the help of the person having the problem, especially when there are so many others saying "no problem found/seen" (or at least piling on with "me too" pstings) ....

To reiterate Steven's last .... there are a number of existing discussions where folks had issues, passed me their account data, in which I logged then logged into their accounts, using various browsers, and was never able to duplicate their 'problem'

Now you've got me wondering if it's a browser issue. I'm using IE 6.0

If you want to try to go farther, here is another series of questions.

Do you CC or BCC yourself at both your SpamCop address and at another non SpamCop address and if so do both fail to receive the attachment.

I have only one Spamcop address. The file falls off irrespective of whether or not I CC myself or BCC (I've done both.

Does the attachment appear in the copy of the message in your sent file.

No. When I check "sent mail" it shows the message goes out, completely attachment free.

What are the exact file types that are failing? Word.doc, Excel.xls etc. Is there any pattern that can be seen?

Everything... and no pattern. I have been able to send XLS files as of this past spring, but JPG, DOC, etc, etc don't attach.

What browser, version, operating system are you using? Could this be a factor.

Windows XP, IE6, and I don't put a lot of "stuff" on the machine. I do run virus checkers and Ad-aware.

Have you tried it using different computers and/or different locations and internet connections?

Yes, and thank you for asking. Same issue.

Does it always fail now, or just some times?

Always fails now.

Have you tried parsing the message to see if the headers might give some indication of what is going on?

Do you still have a copy that did work and does it parse any differently?

I'll look at some.

Repost of a message I made in another thread:

------------------------

I may have solved the mystery.... it *MAY* have to do with code changes that made Spamcop more Mozilla friendly -- and as a result of the patch it doesn't like Internet Explorer.

I downloaded Firefox (which I've tried and I don't care for) and installed it. With Firefox installed, I could then send as an attachment all kinds of docs. But it doesn't work with my IE.

Now... this is a new computer, I do know how to install software, and I haven't monked with IE other than adding Google toolbar. Using (arrrgh) Firefox worked for me. I *do NOT* like it as a solution, but it does make my Spamcop account work again.

I'd be happier if it worked under my IE.

------------------------------------------

For anyone reading this and having problems, try using Firefox. If it works for you under FF but not under IE, then we can confirm the issue (I'm pretty sure this is what the problem is, and it probably has to do with a very specific version of IE. I'm using "6.0.2900.2180" I haven't checked with the Microsoft site to see what patches are out there, but the problem existed under my old computer (where I patched IE and on this new one, and with at least one other computer.

I may have solved the mystery.... it *MAY* have to do with code changes that made Spamcop more Mozilla friendly -- and as a result of the patch it doesn't like Internet Explorer.

What changes might you be talking about?

For anyone reading this and having problems, try using Firefox. If it works for you under FF but not under IE, then we can confirm the issue (I'm pretty sure this is what the problem is, and it probably has to do with a very specific version of IE.

Yet again, if you wanted verification of this, see my last post.

I'm using "6.0.2900.2180" I haven't checked with the Microsoft site to see what patches are out there, but the problem existed under my old computer (where I patched IE and on this new one, and with at least one other computer.

Yet again, if you wanted verification of this, see my last post.

Archived