Webmail Login Oddity Continues...

Reported this before via the NG but never got an answer, perhaps JT had already migrated over to here.

Here is my issue. When I log into my paid email account under Windows 2K, all current software, latest Explorer, updates and patches, I get an odd error and have for months.

If I log on into "Report spam" or "Held Email" (VER page) I get the usual Windows popup inviting me to log on with my stored password and login just fine. I do find it odd that I get asked multiple times for my password (going from "Report spam" to "Held Email"for example) but that seems to be how it is setup.

However, when I use the "Check Mail" link, or try in ANY WAY to access the actual mail account, Inbox, Sent, etc., I get a blank sign-in screen and no Windows/Explorer popup! I do NOT have popups suppressed, as the other screen dialogs come up fine, as does every other site I have Windows store for me. When I fill in the info manually, login works fine.

On my Mac, System 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, I get the popup signin dialog on Mozilla just fine. Likewise Mozilla works OK on my PC. Only Explorer has this issue!

Any ideas?

Also, I thought I set my preferences to keep me logged in on webmail for more than 24 hours but I get kicked over every 24, any way to set this longer ?

David

Also, I thought I set my preferences to keep me logged in on webmail for more than 24 hours but I get kicked over every 24, any way to set this longer ?

I do find it odd that I get asked multiple times for my password (going from "Report spam" to "Held Email"for example) but that seems to be how it is setup.

I do not get asked to login asecond time going between Report spam and Held Email. I also do not get asked if going to Check Mail if I have been into Webmail without closing IE. This is on several different machines (Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP) all fully updated to the latest releases.

You may want to check your cookie settings. I have (on this machine) Security settings for the Internet Zone set to Custom and Privacy set to medium.

However, when I use the "Check Mail" link, or try in ANY WAY to access the actual mail account, Inbox, Sent, etc., I get a blank sign-in screen and no Windows/Explorer popup!

It is not an error, that is the way that the webmail application (Horde IMP) and IE are programmed. I have seen several ISP's who use the same product with the same results. JT has posted before this will not be changed unless it is changed by the author of the email package.

P.S. IE on the MAC (if it exists) would probably exhibit the same characteristic.

If you want to have your password saved, you will need to use one of the other browsers.

I don't know about the logout time. I have never left it on overnight as I always log off my computer when I am not using it (security reasons).

I do find it odd that I get asked multiple times for my password (going from "Report spam" to "Held Email"for example) but that seems to be how it is setup.

I do not get asked to login asecond time going between Report spam and Held Email. I also do not get asked if going to Check Mail if I have been into Webmail without closing IE. This is on several different machines (Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP) all fully updated to the latest releases.

You may want to check your cookie settings. I have (on this machine) Security settings for the Internet Zone set to Custom and Privacy set to medium.

Not at all true. IE on the PC works exactly the same on all other sites using this sort of authentication, only the webmail page fails.

I use IE on Ebay, Paypal and other sites, as well as the first 2 Spamcop links. And I definitely get a second popup in between.

However, when I use the "Check Mail" link, or try in ANY WAY to access the actual mail account, Inbox, Sent, etc., I get a blank sign-in screen and no Windows/Explorer popup!

It is not an error, that is the way that the webmail application (Horde IMP) and IE are programmed. I have seen several ISP's who use the same product with the same results. JT has posted before this will not be changed unless it is changed by the author of the email package.

P.S. IE on the MAC (if it exists) would probably exhibit the same characteristic.

you must have missed half my quote. IE Mac is an unrelated program that stores NO passwords at all. It only has the same name, totally different product. IE PC does store passwords and works on every site including Spamcop, only not on the webmail "Check Mail" link.
If you want to have your password saved, you will need to use one of the other browsers.

I don't know about the logout time.  I have never left it on overnight as I always log off my computer when I am not using it (security reasons).

So if I understand this discussion correctly, there is no way around having to type in my entire email name and password when I want to use my webmail access to spamcop? It really is a nuisance, that's what I have a computer for is to eliminate tasks like that from my life.

I read it that much depends on your platform, OS, application mix. One user says no problem, another says life is a bitch ... not sure why you read it as "no way" .. have you tried, are you confirming, do you have an account?

you must have missed half my quote. IE Mac is an unrelated program that stores NO passwords at all. It only has the same name, totally different product.

I just rechecked your original post and I only see mention of Mozilla on the Mac.

IE PC does store passwords and works on every site including Spamcop, only not on the webmail "Check Mail" link.

You are correct that it does not work with the webmail application which is running Horde IMP. It also does not work, for me, with 2 different ISP's which also use horde imp as their webmail application. I do not know if there is a way to get it to work with IE, but my experience has been 3 for 3 against it working with this product.

In addition, this question has been asked before and I believe JT stated that this would not be fixed. I do not remember his reasons.

The webpage for this application is: http://www.horde.org/imp/ I could find no quick answer for you there. If you come up with a simple solution, perhaps JT will implement it. I would like the feature added, but it does not bother me that it does not work under IE.

Webmail doesn't use HTTP authentication. Do any of you have an app that CAN automatically or even semiautomatically login to Webmail, preferably with SSL?

Archived