[Resolved] Spamming with my spamcop email

pumpkin

For a couple of months I have been receiving emails from spammers who are using my spamcop email <_< . I was waiting for it to pass but it is getting worse. Is there anything I can do?

No, as you know, once an address is identified by spammers they just keep on sending.

But if you keep on reporting the spam using the facilities built into your SpamCop Email account then the bulk should get moved off into your held mail folder.

Andrew

Also, be sure that your own address is *not* on your personal whitelist. Otherwise, all the spam appearing to come from your address will reach your mailbox.

But if it is not in my personal whitelist, how will it discern from legitimate mail. I am confused :(

Thanks

Nat

But if it is not in my personal whitelist, how will it discern from legitimate mail. I am confused :(

Not that I'm speaking for everybody, but the general interpretation of your initial description of "are using my spamcop email" is taken to mean that someone is forging your spamcop.net e-mail address into the From: line. The suggestion is that you would not have your spamcop.net address in your whitelist. Think about it, how many times and why would you send yourself an e-mail from and to the same e-mail account?

If you sent yourself an e-mail to your spamcop.net account, the odds are that it's not a spamcop.net e-mail address that you're sending it from ....

That said, no one here has any idea of what and how you've got things in your whitelist. The suggestion stems from so many people that have done this before and couldn't figure out why the spam kept getting through to their InBox.

Not that I'm speaking for everybody, but the general interpretation of your initial description of "are using my spamcop email" is taken to mean that someone is forging your spamcop.net e-mail address into the From: line. The suggestion is that you would not have your spamcop.net address in your whitelist. Think about it, how many times and why would you send yourself an e-mail from and to the same e-mail account?

That's is correct, someone is using my email account to spam.

No I dont send emails from/to my spamcop account ;)

That said, no one here has any idea of what and how you've got things in your whitelist. The suggestion stems from so many people that have done this before and couldn't figure out why the spam kept getting through to their InBox.

Now...the "not in the whitelist thingy" is here in spamcop that I need to do it?

Sorry, I have been a member of Spamcop for over 10 years and it is still a mistery to me :blush:

Thanks for your help.

Glad you got it sorted out. Will tag this Topic as Resolved. However, .....

Sorry, I have been a member of Spamcop for over 10 years and it is still a mistery to me

Pulling the 10 years figure into play, that would mean you've been around since Day 1 .... I only date back to Day 100 or so .... wondering where your confusion may come from, as that 'age factor' would indicate that you have seen SpamCop.net grow from a computer in Julian's kitchen to the (part of a) multi-million-dollar corporate structure.

There are a number of 'descriptions / explanations' of the various parts of SpamCop.net in various places, the Original/Official FAQ under the Help link at www.spamcop.net, entries in the single-page-access-expanded version of the SpamCop FAQ found 'here' .... a line-item list provided from the titled-in-bold link on the 'main page' here;

Start Here - before you make your first Post

Introduction to SpamCop.net services, tools, and support

And the best, the Wiki page What is SpamCop.net? .... with even more 'clarification' offered at Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?

What is still confusing, needs yet more explanation, handled differently?

Glad you got it sorted out. Will tag this Topic as Resolved. However, .....What is still confusing, needs yet more explanation, handled differently?
Nay gentle Wazoo, lest poor Nat be made to feel in some manner inadequate, I confess I do not find the admonition against self-whitelisting to be at all evident. It is, when you think it through, but perhaps only we few who are, by any measure, excessively obsessed with the fraudulent imposition which is spam would be inclined to think it through as a matter of course. You probably put your finger on it in (my emphasis) in
...The suggestion is that you would not have your spamcop.net address in your whitelist. .... The suggestion stems from so many people that have done this before and couldn't figure out why the spam kept getting through to their InBox.
Nat, pumpkin, if you can answer with specifics for the many, "What is still confusing, needs yet more explanation, handled differently?" you may do us all a service because, it seems, the regular posters here can't see the wood for the trees and those others, the great majority, that come only with their problems will suffer accordingly. But with help we can improve it.

Archived