Can anyone recommend email forwarder?

BobLLL

Can anyone recommend a reliable email forwarding service that hosts custom domain names? One that is known to work well with Spamcop email, including the greylist? In other words, a forwarder that does not alter the "from" or "return path", so that the greylist will judge the email based on the original "from".

I have a custom email address that is forwarded to my spamcop address, but my current forwarding service (forevermail.com) has become unreliable. Mail is just disappearing at forevermail. It isn't being forwarded, and it isn't being sent back. It used to work just fine, until the last few months.

I just have one old custom email address that I really need to keep and forward to my spamcop address.

Thanks,

Bob

Technically, this does not appear to involve an actual 'problem' with the SpamCop.net e-mail system provided by JT. Therefore, I'm moving this Topic to a more universal Forum section, actually in hopes of getting it even more visibility, as the spcific question seems to be pointed to the desire for a forwarding system that does not identify itself ... (actually a bit if a bad thing, but ...)

The somewhat better alternative would be to choose another forwarding Host, but then perform the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Acount to prevent the possible "bad reporting" situation.

I just have one old custom email address that I really need to keep and forward to my spamcop address.

Try having SpamCop "POP'ing" instead of forwarding

Ideally just use your SpamCop email account as the ONLY email address

Allow legacy addresses to fade out

A SpamCop email address is the only email address you will ever need

Can anyone recommend a reliable email forwarding service that hosts custom domain names? One that is known to work well with Spamcop email, including the greylist? In other words, a forwarder that does not alter the "from" or "return path", so that the greylist will judge the email based on the original "from".

IIUC, the greylisting function has nothing to do with those elements of an incoming transmission, but rather looks only at the delivering connection itself (the IP address), then tells it to wait a bit, and then if it comes back for a second attempt, the transmission is accepted. I'm not using greylisting, but someone please confirm or correct what I've just attempted to explain, please.

DT

I'm not using greylisting, but someone please confirm or correct what I've just attempted to explain, please.

You are correct, greylisting will not help with a forwarding service because it uses the sender address/IP address pair. Either the message will be retried for every new message (slowing down all messages) or the forwarder will not retry messages and no messages will be delivered, depending on how the forwarder is configured. To top it off, it will end up adding all of those addresses to your whitelist, increasing the chance of spam getting through in the future.

I'm not using greylisting, but someone please confirm or correct what I've just attempted to explain, please.

Thanks for the clarification, Steven. I forgot that the values were treated in pairs.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=59044

Yes, we have an implementation very much like the reference implementation. There is a triplet of sender email address, connecting IP address, and recipient email address that we use to make decisions. We are currently using a 30 minute delay for newly discovered triplets.

Technically, this does not appear to involve an actual 'problem' with the SpamCop.net e-mail system provided by JT. Therefore, I'm moving this Topic to a more universal Forum section, actually in hopes of getting it even more visibility, as the spcific question seems to be pointed to the desire for a forwarding system that does not identify itself ... (actually a bit if a bad thing, but ...)

The somewhat better alternative would be to choose another forwarding Host, but then perform the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Acount to prevent the possible "bad reporting" situation.

Wazoo, I don't know where you got the idea there is a bad reporting situation. I didn't say that. There is some other problem with my forwarding host that has nothing to do with reporting. It simply isn't working no matter where I forward it. I'm looking for a new forwarding system that is known to work with the greylist (some don't.) Forevermail used to work just fine, and correctly sent back greylist "wait" requests. Just recently forevermail has become unreliable, greylist or no greylist, and I'm tired of them.

I'm looking for input from people familiar with the greylist, which is why I thought I would be more likely to find them in the email system thread than the Lounge.

Try having SpamCop "POP'ing" instead of forwarding

Ideally just use your SpamCop email account as the ONLY email address

Allow legacy addresses to fade out

A SpamCop email address is the only email address you will ever need

Petzl,

Forevermail does not have mailbox storage, so there is nothing to pop from. They immediately forward everything they get. Or are supposed to. Strictly a forwarding service.

Thanks for the legacy advice, but it takes time to fade things out. And there is a professional investment in this particular email address that is a shame to lose. And you can't guarantee spamcop will always be here. Uh, that is what Forevermail originally promised. And then they sold out to a bigger company who cares not so much....

You are correct, greylisting will not help with a forwarding service because it uses the sender address/IP address pair. Either the message will be retried for every new message (slowing down all messages) or the forwarder will not retry messages and no messages will be delivered, depending on how the forwarder is configured. To top it off, it will end up adding all of those addresses to your whitelist, increasing the chance of spam getting through in the future.

Perhaps I phrased the question poorly. I'm not sure where the greylist gets the sender's address part of the triplet. But with the kind of forwarding that Forever mail does, the decision to greylist is based on the original sender's address and IP, not the forwarder's. Its not like manually forwarding a message. I've looked at the greylist reports for months now, and the adverse effects you describe were not happening for email coming through the forwarding service. Only spam was winding up on the rejected list. Legit email worked its way through the pending list. The IP addresses listed on the pending list belonged to the original senders. It was as if Forevermail was just another router along the way. It worked just the same as email sent directly to another spamcop address that I have. I assumed there must be other forwarding services that work the same way, but you seem convinced they do not.

Again, I don't think the greylist caused forevermail to act up. To test what the problem was, I changed my forevermail forwarding setting to point to a completely different destination address, not on spamcop, and there is still some problem with mail not getting through. Some email showed up 3 days late for some reason. It looks like a crashed server situation from where I sit. But its happened several times in recent weeks, and important email from a whitelisted sender never showed up at all. But anyhow, this is the problem with the forewarder, not spamcop.

If there aren't other good forwarders to try, then I'm just up the creek. I would like to keep the old email address around, but I need the greylist. It was only thing that made the spam manageable. Now, if spamcop just offered custom domain hosting, I would be all set.

I don't know anything about forwarding services, but whenever email starts to disappear, I think 'spam filters' - I have some email addresses forwarded and I notice that very little of the spam from a spammy address gets through the spam filters of the place it is being forwarded to. Most of it doesn't arrive.

Perhaps, you could contact the forwarding service and ask to have your email not filtered?

Miss Betsy

Wazoo, I don't know where you got the idea there is a bad reporting situation. I didn't say that.

You are mixing your present situation with my suggested future situations. I also did not say what you seem to think I did.

Let's look at the description of the forum:

"SpamCop Email System & Accounts

A forum for questions and discussion about the SpamCop Email System and spamcop.net email accounts. Questions about spam reporting should generally be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one."

I note that the word "problem" does not appear in the forum description. "Questions and discussion" are allowed. As you can see from the responses to my question, it involves an understanding and discussion of the SpamCop Email System, particularly the greylist function.

So I put it to you: My message was wrongly moved. Not to make a big deal of it, but just perhaps you are a bit too quick to criticize and correct posts by others.

Even after all the traffic in this Topic/Discussion, I still stand by my decision .... you have stated at least three times that the 'problem' is not at the SpamCop.net e-mail account or servers. Even though some discussion centered on 'greylisting' .. you have most definitely stated that this isn't even a real issue with the question, scenario, and such with yur SpamCop.net e-mail account. Noting that 'greylisting' is not unique to SpamCop.net's e-mail servers ... see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=58926

More information about greylisting is available at greylisting.org

It simply isn't working no matter where I forward it. I'm looking for a new forwarding system that is known to work with the greylist (some don't.)

Again, how does this limit the discussion to an issue with your SamCop.net e-mail account or JT's servers?

I'm looking for input from people familiar with the greylist, which is why I thought I would be more likely to find them in the email system thread than the Lounge.

As greylisting is not unique to SpamCop.net's e-mail service, this is why I moved it to a location such that even folks that don't use a SpamCop.net e-mail address would trip across your request.

It was as if Forevermail was just another router along the way. It worked just the same as email sent directly to another spamcop address that I have. I assumed there must be other forwarding services that work the same way, but you seem convinced they do not.

Yes, there are various ways to configure a server (or service) to handle e-mail. However, not all of those configurations work in all circumstances, especially when "the iternet" is involved in the process. As evidenced here, there, and everywhere, not all users are up to speed on just how e-mail works, much less keeping a database on just how various 'other' e-mail servers on 'other' hosts have their systems configured. Your scenario of a 'professional' address that dates way back has come up before, although those typical stories were about an 'alumni' address from college days.

Again, I don't think the greylist caused forevermail to act up. To test what the problem was, I changed my forevermail forwarding setting to point to a completely different destination address, not on spamcop, and there is still some problem with mail not getting through. Some email showed up 3 days late for some reason. It looks like a crashed server situation from where I sit. But its happened several times in recent weeks, and important email from a whitelisted sender never showed up at all. But anyhow, this is the problem with the forewarder, not spamcop.

Again, you reinforce my decision that your query was not actually about a SpamCop.net e-mal Account or System issue ...???

Now, if spamcop just offered custom domain hosting, I would be all set.

Technically, it (JT's Cesmail) does. However, you'd be trying to talk to JT about setting up a Corporate Account, with associated 'corporate' costs.

Forevermail does not have mailbox storage, so there is nothing to pop from. They immediately forward everything they get. Or are supposed to. Strictly a forwarding service.

Thanks for the legacy advice, but it takes time to fade things out. And there is a professional investment in this particular email address that is a shame to lose. And you can't guarantee spamcop will always be here. Uh, that is what Forevermail originally promised. And then they sold out to a bigger company who cares not so much....

I, as most, have been stung $$ by having to chuck away turned dud email addresses

The best thing I have done is just use SpamCop as my only email which I have had since well into last millenium. It does take time to allow old addresses to fade out. Though all of these addresses went "bellyup" before I wanted them to

Although I now also use a free throw-away Gmail account as a first contact address for suspect contacts and my "newsletters/advertising" to reduce the volume going to my real address. They do have a excellent spam filter

.... you have stated at least three times that the 'problem' is not at the SpamCop.net e-mail account or servers. Even though some discussion centered on 'greylisting' .. you have most definitely stated that this isn't even a real issue with the question, scenario, and such with yur SpamCop.net e-mail account. Noting that 'greylisting' is not unique to SpamCop.net's e-mail servers ... [Etc. Etc.]

Wazoo,

Most of the discussion that you quote above are my responses to other people bringing up issues other than the one I first raised. People want to be helpful, and some of them think I should try a different approach, or that I am just flat wrong about email forwarding and greylists. So I responded to those messages. But the only question I have is one that I think is closely related to the cesmail system:

Does anyone know of a forwarding service that is known to work with the greylist as implemented by the cesmail system?

I guess the answer to my question is: No. No one has a suggestion as to a forwarding service that is known to work with cesmail with the greylist option turned on.

I do really appreciate the intent behind the other helpful suggestions and information. But I'm not asking how greylists are generally implemented. I read the greylist whitepaper months ago, and every post on this board that I could find about greylisting. And, I'm not asking for help in trying to fix my current forwarder's problems. Nor am I asking about how to get rid of legacy email addresses. I just have the one question.

So I'm ready to punt on this one. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to try to help. One thing I have learned is to be very, very careful how I phrase any future questions on this board.

Does anyone know of a forwarding service that is known to work with the greylist as implemented by the cesmail system?

I guess the answer to my question is: No. No one has a suggestion as to a forwarding service that is known to work with cesmail with the greylist option turned on.

At the time of this posting, over 130 views shown for this Topic. I can't help that either that those that know have an issue with posting ther suggestions or if it's simply that those folks that took enough interest to peek in don't use any kind of 'forwarding service' .... Those that did take the time to post were truly giving things their best shot to try to help out.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to try to help. One thing I have learned is to be very, very careful how I phrase any future questions on this board.

Even in the best of times, the written word is a bit of a failure. This is what drove the addition of the Dictionary and Glossary (basically now incorporated into the Wiki) .. to try to help with the vaguaries of some of the techy stuff. As the only information to go on is what gets displayed on-screen, understanding of what was 'really' meant does sometime not happen easily.

As far as "if your policy is not to reply to PMs" goes ..... here is my Reply to your initial PM;

Replied to in-line in your Topic at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9957

Although I can appreciate that you took your complaint to PM, it is a bit of a more universal issue. You are certainly not the first to challenge/question my motives and/or actions. If you look around, you'll find I don't like to do things 'in secret' for the most part. I will take the blame, I will admit when I find I screwed up, and I've done both more times than I'd like to admit.

Not sure how to calculate how your last PM made in response to the above Reply as fitting into "I don't Reply to PMs" ....???? The 'more universal issue' dealt with the challenge of the Moderator action of moving a Topc/Discussion withn the Forum structure. As such and as stated, this is dealing with the overall function, design, and philosophy of this Forum. Your 'challenge' deals with a subject that has impacted others also, which is why I felt it was a 'public' issue, not requiring a bunch of behind-the-scenes / personal dialog. There is 'private' data and there are things that don't need or shouldn't be hidden away. What you describe as 'rude' can also be decribed as expediency and opportunity, and falls under 'information sharing' such that others may also learn/know about certain things or situations. And, from that perspective, I do choose not to Reply privately to your last PM.

Archived