Help........

Mr.Spireite

I am pretty much confused by recent events.

Some rather unscrupulous people have reported me to spamcop for emailing on topic conversations to spamcop for my radio station www.aspire-radio.com.

How do I get removed from spamcop, what has happened, what will happen etc etc ?

Energis have been informed as to what has happened and they seem annoyed at spamcop, but I am confused, any help would be apreciated.

I have no idea what to do at all ?

Follow this link. Read up. Post back with remaining questions. Thanks for caring.

http://www.spamcop.net/reported.shtml

16457[/snapback]

Yes, I have read that, but what does it mean ?

I listed some stuff to some yahoogroups, that was on topic for my live365 radio station and someone reported me to spamcop, what happens now ???

My website was shut down for a while, energis emailed me sorted it out with them, but they said that spamcop usually makes mistakes, so I am confused and I am pretty upset about this.

What happens now, my Ip address that was reported was 195.92.193.211 www.aspire-radio.com

any help would be apreciated.

I am not a spammer or an admin here so I cannot help you.

I gave you some good advice.

Prepare to be flamed.

Acting like Gomer Pyle does not buy any points here.

I gave you the heads up with the link. Go back and read it.

Post back here with SPECIFIC questions about what is still unclear to you.

Your response above is overly broad and the guys east of here will not be gentle if you do not do your homework and if you do not post clear questions.

Some rather unscrupulous people have reported me to spamcop for emailing on topic conversations to spamcop for my radio station www.aspire-radio.com.

Wait....this part of your post is confusing....it seems to state that people have reported you to SpamCop for sending "conversations to spamcop" for your radio station....????

Please clarify.

The IP address you sent us is NOT currently listed in the SpamCop BL, although it has been in the past. The IP address you sent doesn't seem to have anything to do with your website address, "www.aspire-radio.com" -- ?

That IP address has been used to send spam on numerous occasions, but not recently....take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...%22&btnG=Search

How and why was your website shut down? Presubmably it was shut down by your hosting provider after they received complaints generated by SpamCop reports on some emails....did you post those emails to a buch of Yahoo Groups, or ... ?

Please state your situation a bit more clearly and people will try to help you.

DT

As flagginator has indicated there are plenty of sources of self-help to assist you to understand the way SpamCop works. All anyone can do with the information you have provided is re-state what the FAQs say.

That said, SpamCop does not record websites or Email addresses. SpamCop does record IP addresses which are the source of unsolicited bulk Emails. However, SpamCop complainants/reporters can send a note to an ISP where a particular website is named in the spam. In that case the ISP acts entirely on its own accord in any decisions it makes on removing a website so identified. They get the offending message and can and should review it before reaching a decision on what action if any to take.

You may be posting what you consider on-topic messages to Yahoo! groups but if they are advertising messages and you do not have consent to send those advertising messages then you should expect to have complaints registered against your IP address.

As you will see many times, determination of whether mail is spam depends on the term unsolicited... It is all about consent rather than content.

The good thing with SpamCop is that once the offending messages stop and no further reports are received your IP address is quickly de-listed. Many other blocklists are less forgiving and if the problem persists then you may well find you are listed elsewhere.

If you reconsider your policies on obtaining consent from those you send bulk mail to - even through Yahoo! groups you should avoid the problem in the future.

Andrew

I am not a spammer or an admin here so I cannot help you.

I gave you some good advice.

Prepare to be flamed.

Acting like Gomer Pyle does not buy any points here.

I gave you the heads up with the link. Go back and read it.

Post back here with SPECIFIC questions about what is still unclear to you.

Your response above is overly broad and the guys east of here will not be gentle if you do not do your homework and if you do not post clear questions.

16460[/snapback]

Sorry if I have confused you with this but I am not that much of a techy when it comes to spam, hence my question here.

What seems to have happened is that some rather unscrupulous people took effence to a post on a few yahoogroups and then reported me to spamcop who then reported me to www.energis.com

I got an email from www.energis.com who I then rang and we sorted the problem out and they blamed spamcop for not checking complaints enough as the best way to describe it was that all the blockages with my account were automated.

My website was shut down last week, even before I was aware of the complaint and it didn't even register with me that it was anything to do with spamcop !!!

I am as much confused as I am probably making you, lol.

Wait....this part of your post is confusing....it seems to state that people have reported you to SpamCop for sending "conversations to spamcop" for your radio station....????

Please clarify.

The IP address you sent us is NOT currently listed in the SpamCop BL, although it has been in the past. The IP address you sent doesn't seem to have anything to do with your website address, "www.aspire-radio.com" -- ?

That IP address has been used to send spam on numerous occasions, but not recently....take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...%22&btnG=Search

How and why was your website shut down? Presubmably it was shut down by your hosting provider after they received complaints generated by SpamCop reports on some emails....did you post those emails to a buch of Yahoo Groups, or ... ?

Please state your situation a bit more clearly and people will try to help you.

DT

16462[/snapback]

The emails I sent were to yahoogroups and were "on topic" someone seems to have been messing with me, but where does this lead me ?

Energis have noted on my account not to take any notice of any further spamcop complaints, but will I be blocked by spamcop or something ???

Remember I am not that PC savvy, probably an enthusiast rather than an expert.

You may be posting what you consider on-topic messages to Yahoo! groups but if they are advertising messages and you do not have consent to send those advertising messages then you should expect to have complaints registered against your IP address.

Andrew

16474[/snapback]

Yep, everything was OK with that, it seems a few people have been trying to yank my chain as such, but if like you say it goes quietly then there should be no more problems.

Hopefully......

Yep, everything was OK with that, it seems a few people have been trying to yank my chain as such, but if like you say it goes quietly then there should be no more problems.

Hopefully......

How can we say? We haven't seen the messages that were reported nor have you confirmed that you were not sending advertising via Yahoo! groups without the consent of the recipient.

But if all was OK then it seems that Energis failed you by not reading the original report and pulled the plug on your website.

Andrew

How can we say?  We haven't seen the messages that were reported nor have you confirmed that you were not sending advertising via Yahoo! groups without the consent of the recipient.

But if all was OK then it seems that Energis failed you by not reading the original report and pulled the plug on your website.

Andrew

16479[/snapback]

Well I then posted a message to the groups in question and lets just say that on some of them there's a witch hunt going on to find out who reported me, I regularly post at yahoogroups "on topic" so people are not happy that lurkers are causing problems.

DOes that make sense ?

No it does not make sense.

Maybe peolple are tired of you posting "on topic" but still trying to spamvertise at the same time???

Many spammers do not even realize they are spamming.

Yahoo Groups get into many blocklists every once in a while.

You have not posted anything but what you "think" is going on so no one really knows what is going on.

You have not posted anything but what you "think" is going on so no one really knows what is going on.

...this is also called beating around the bush..are you here to seek real help or just to re-iterate your oppinions, (which in effect have nothing to do with SpamCop or the purpose of this self-help discussion forum)..

In that case you will soon become the resident troll and treated accordingly!

Is there only one Spamcop?

no, there is a spamcop.com. If someone complains about the software they downloaded, it is probably because they got confused between .com and .net. From all reports, spamcop.com is not at all like spamcop here and may even be somewhat of a scam, though I don't remember if anyone has documented that.

Miss Betsy

<snip>

What seems to have happened is that some rather unscrupulous people took effence to a post on a few yahoogroups and then reported me to spamcop who then reported me to www.energis.com

16476[/snapback]

...Sometimes it is helpful to guess what you think might have happened but this is not one of those occasions. :) <g> There is no feature in SpamCop as far as I know that would allow unscrupulous people to report you to SpamCop in the manner you suggest.

I got an email from www.energis.com who I then rang and we sorted the problem out and they blamed spamcop for not checking complaints enough as the best way to describe it was that all the blockages with my account were automated.

16476[/snapback]

...SpamCop does not check complaints. It publishes a blocklist that contains a list of IP addresses that have been reported (by more than one person and based on a complex formula] as having been a source of spam or having sent e-mail to what is known as a "spam trap," an e-mail address that has never sent e-mail and therefore can only receive e-mail [theoretically] by being "spammed." Another possibility is that your URL has been included in e-mail that has been reported as spam (so-called "spamvertizing") and such a report is what ergis has seen (but that's not something an unscrupulous person is likely to have done, I don't believe). These are intended to be information only reports and SpamCop does not envision that they be treated as complaints against the site owner.

My website was shut down last week, even before I was aware of the complaint and it didn't even register with me that it was anything to do with spamcop !!!

<snip>

16476[/snapback]

...Then your web provider has done you a disservice.

Energis have noted on my account not to take any notice of any further spamcop complaints, but will I be blocked by spamcop or something ???

If you are going to have a website and post regularly to newsgroups about that website, then maybe you should understand a little more about spam: what it is and how people deal with it - specifically 'blocking'

Apparently, it was your website that was reported as being advertised in a spam email. Reports about spamvertized websites go to the hosting company. The IP address of the website is NOT added to the spamcop blocklist. There are procedures at spamcop where websites can be declared 'innocent bystanders' when spammers include them fraudently in spam emails so that no reports are sent. There is no way that the average reporter knows, unless it is a big name website like the American Cancer Society website, that a website is not really being advertised.

Most hosting companies understand that and do not cancel websites without proper investigation. They also know that a spamcop report about a website does not result in blocking any IP addresses.

If it wasn't your website that was being reported, then it would have to be the server you are using to email. If it is your own server, since you are not a techy and your hosting company seems to be rather unhelpful, then it would be wise to have it checked out by a professional to be sure that it is not compromised by a spammer infecting it with a trojan or exploiting it through insecure passwords. Spammers do this and are careful about sending spam so that it is not listed long on the spamcop blocklist so you think everything is ok. But then it happens again for a short time. Sooner or later, unless you get it fixed, your IP address will be on blocklists that are much more difficult to get removed from.

So, depending on what the situation really is, you either have a webhost that is not giving you good service or you have not solved any problem. The third possibility is that you really are going over the line and are spamming. Probably your intentions are good and some of the regulars on the groups you frequent are willing to let you do it, but it really is spam by definition and not obvious to a newcomer to the group.

Being 'all confused' even grows old when it's a beautiful blond.

Miss Betsy

Sorry if I have confused you with this but I am not that much of a techy when it comes to spam, hence my question here.

I am as much confused as I am probably making you, lol.

16476[/snapback]

There is one report for IP 195.92.193.211 which seems to be a virus. As only injecting IPs are potentially listed in the SC blocklist and one report won't cause a listing that wouldn't appear to be the problem. If the problem is for a url in an email then I need to know the exact url that was reported to be able to look at the database.

There is one report for IP 195.92.193.211 which seems to  be a virus. As only injecting IPs are potentially listed in the SC blocklist and one report won't cause a listing that wouldn't appear to be the problem. If the problem is for a url in an email then I need to know the exact url that was reported to be able to look at the database.

Allegedly ... first post contained www.aspire-radio.com as "the" site ....????

Allegedly ... first post contained www.aspire-radio.com as "the" site ....????

16521[/snapback]

At last some of this is beginning to be understood by myself.

However I got an email from a friend of mine today asking what is going on because he is getting around 20 emails per day for the email address [at]aspire-radio.com now this is strange because even though I have access to this email address it has NEVER been used.

Again www.aspire-radio.com is down...........

Not sure where I go from here now as it's all getting a big headache for me..

Again www.aspire-radio.com is down...........

Not sure where I go from here now as it's all getting a big headache for me..

As has been suggested several times, we really don't have enough information from you to provide any assistance.

SpamCop has no function for adding websites to the block list and you aren't able to provide extra information.

I'd suggest you need to get your hosting service to help you and refuse to accept any answer which tries to blame someone else. Demand a clear and unambiguous explanation of why your site has been suspended. Be prepared to accept that unsolicited advertising whether you define it as 'on topic' or not may be the cause and that you will have to accept your ISP's AUP on this.

Andrew

As has been suggested several times, we really don't have enough information from you to provide any assistance.

SpamCop has no function for adding websites to the block list and you aren't able to provide extra information.

I'd suggest you need to get your hosting service to help you and refuse to accept any answer which tries to blame someone else.  Demand a clear and unambiguous explanation of why your site has been suspended.  Be prepared to accept that unsolicited advertising whether you define it as 'on topic' or not may be the cause and that you will have to accept your ISP's AUP on this.

Andrew

16653[/snapback]

Thanks for the response, much apreciated.

Mr.Spireite: It is now the appropriate time to provide some

details

about the exact nature of the "on topic" discussions you posted on Yahoo!

Ctrl-C= Copy

(find a couple and copy them into your clipboard)

Ctrl-V= Paste

(come here, create a reply, then paste your "on topic" posts here so we can see them with our own peepers)

Are we crystal clear on this? Crystal? All righty then :)

Archived