RE: pop.spamcop.net DOES NOT WORK

The "Help" post "Getting Mail out of spam Cop" says to use:

pop.spamcop.net with user name and ID but it doesn't work.

I'm using the full ID - showker[at]spamcop.net, along with the

same password I use to access the webmail.spamcop.net

but the mail does not get checked.

I'm using Eudora on a Macintosh.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...
This person has been posting pretty regular over in the newsgroups abou reporting issues.  So apparently, the login problem was long solved, he just never bothered to come back and make that declaration here.

19399[/snapback]

NO... I could never figure out how to get back here until now. It kept rejecting my ID/Password... until I realized this is a DIFFERENT ID/Password from my account.

No, I never got the situation resolved. My "GOOD" mail is either pent up hostage in the SpamCop email box, or I "forward" the really important ones to my regular box -- which is a royal pain.

I've read all the EUDORA/Mac tutorials and instructions -- set it up dozens of times with all the variations both POP and IMAP and it still says "ERR Login Failed" ... I've tried it both ways, giving the "showker" as the ID and the "showker[at]spamcop.net" as the ID. The password shouldn't change. Tried both those options logging into both mail.spamcop.net (original instructions) then imap.spamcop.net (2nd instructions) with both with/without domain in ID. Neither works.

All I need is a simple, step by step on what to put into each field in the "Personalities" interface.

If I just tell SpamCop to FORWARD my "good" mail, that forwards everything in the INBOX instantly, right? So I also get the spam that SpamCop didn't catch... usually three or four out of several hundred each day.

I really like the service... see:

http://www.60-seconds.com/169_spamcop.html

but darn, it would be nice to get the good mail in my regular mail box.

:-)

Suggestions?

Fred,

The proper settings for you are as follows:

POP3 Server: pop.spamcop.net (216.154.195.50 via mail.cesmail.net at present)

User ID: showker[at]spamcop.net

Password: insertyoursecretpasswordhere

The last two of those should be exactly the same as what works for you on Webmail.

Please let us know whether or not these work for you. Thanks!

Jeff said:

> POP3 Server: pop.spamcop.net (216.154.195.50 via mail.cesmail.net at present)

> User ID: showker[at]spamcop.net

> Password: insertyoursecretpasswordhere

> The last two of those should be exactly the same as what

> works for you on Webmail.

tried that many times, get "ERR Login Failed"

Using Eudora 5.1 on a Macintosh

I think the problem is the ID being showker[at]spamcop.net

I don't think Eudora likes the "[at]" in the ID name. Just a hunch.

Has anyone come up with a Eudora method?

Thanks

Fred

I use Eudora 5.1 for Windows and have had no problems.

My relevant settings are as follows:

Generic Properties Tab

Login Name: underwood<at>spamcop.net

SMTP Server: smtp.charter.net

<checked> Authentication allowed

<checked> Check Mail

Incoming Mail Tab

Server: pop.spamcop.net

Configuration: POP

Authentication style: Passwords

"ERR Login Failed"...Using Eudora 5.1 on a Macintosh...I don't think Eudora likes the "[at]" in the ID name.  Just a hunch.

Has anyone come up with a Eudora method?

20130[/snapback]

Have you tried showker%spamcop.net instead? Thanks!

It really should not matter to Eudora what you enter into the username field because it is the server that has the requirement. Eudora should simply pass on the information.

Try something like this (this is in windows) to make sure you can log into your pop account from that machine:

telnet pop.spamcop.net 110

+OK Hello there.

user <username>[at]spamcop.net

+OK Password required.

pass <password>

+OK logged in.

quit

+OK Bye-bye.

Connection to host lost.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem as showker accessing my spamcop mail using pop. I have double and triple checked the login info and password, I have tried everything mentioned in this thread, and every concievable variation on the login info that I could possibly think of. No dice. Webmail works, but it is not a viable option for me. I e-mailed spamcop support over 24 hrs ago but no one has answered.

I am using the Macintosh OSX Mail client. I have tried using % in place of [at], even though that is obviously not the problem (I successfully get mail from other accounts where [at] is in the username).

Can somebody at spamcop look into this? What is happening on the server side?

Molly Cliborne

mcliborne[at]spamcop.net

Can somebody at spamcop look into this?  What is happening on the server side?

23882[/snapback]

Hi Molly,

Have you tried logging into the web based mail? Take a quick visit to SpamCop Webamil, pop your user name (ie your full spamcop Email address) and your password in the relevant places. Can you log-in?

If you can then there is something in the Email program interaction with the SpamCop mail server. If not then there is a problem with your log-in information and I suspect only JT will be able to help.

Andrew

Yes, I am able to log in to webmail.

"If you can then there is something in the Email program interaction with the SpamCop mail server. " Yes, that sounds like a good guess. I have not had a problem getting mail from any other server, and as far as I can tell all my settings are exactly what they should be.

Molly

I just did a simple port scan of the common ports on pop.spamcop.net = imap.spamcop.net = mail.spamcop.net = 216.154.195.50 and found port 110 not responding. Now, I have never tested this server before, but the POP port should be open if the server is up.

mcliborne contacted via PM with a different approach to working the problem.

New Pinned item added .. a walk-through install/addition of the SpamCop e-mail account to the Apple Mail application under OS-X ... based on the versions I have available here ...

No idea where we are at right now. mcliborne provided me her account data. With that, I fired up an iBook, and started taking notes while creating accounts. POP3 went right in, connected, downloaded .. looked good. So then converted my scribbles into the OS-X/Apple-Mail walk-through. Sent a PM to suggest she give that a shot. The I went back and started over in creating an IMAP connection, again taking notes. Again, that worked right off the bat. So then converted those scribbles to another walk-through, added that data to the POP3 entry I'd just done .. edited that a bit, went to re-post the 'new' version. Saw mcliborne on-line 'here' at that Topic, actually having my iBook showing both her POP3 and IMAP connections working just fine. However she PM'd me stating that her POP3 still didn't work. Phone call came in, asking me to make a run to pick up a prescription for my Mom. PM'd mcliborne to advise that I was shutting down the Apple-Mail app here, and would be back in a half-hour or so, asking that she try the IMAP walk-through and see what happened then.

OK, that trip took lots longer than expected ... got back here, hit the newsgroups, hit the Forum .... no new posts in "this" Topic, no PMs ... fired up the Apple-Mail application ... errors within seconds .. password not accepted by the SpamCop server.

Current status . waiting for mcliborne to respond to my last PM, asking whether something started working and she changed her account data or whether I need to try to troubleshoot the issue as I now have seemed to have duplicated her issue.

PM reply this morning;

Got back home a bit ago.  Hit the newsgroups, hit the Forum, didn't see anything new from you ... opened up the iBook, fired up Mail, and promptly got errors, password not accepted, both the POP3 and IMPA accounts.  Is it working now for you and you changed the data, or am I experiencing the problems that you'd started asking about?
I don't think so Wazoo. I changed the password. Thank you so much for trying to help me. But I give up. I can't spend any more time on this. -Molly

Thanks for allowing me the access to allow me to develop the walk-through procedures. Glad I went with the right guess at you changing the password and didn't spend time trying to "troubleshoot" the connection issue.

What I don't know at this point;

1. what's different in the POP3 setup that worked here, but not there.

2. whether trying the IMAP setup worked or not for her.

3. if there's a difference between the versions of Apple-Mail involved.

4. where to go next if she doesn't have the time.

I see that the OS-X configuration entry has had some views, but no one has commented as to whether they look OK, worked for them, needs more data, etc.

A bit of a sidenote: Google Gmail now has POP3 available. I set the iBook/Apple-Mail application up, worked just fine. However, tried setting up OE on another system, and can't seem to work around a login problem. Scanning the Google Forum there, I see a number of folks with the same login issue, but surprised at how many of those folks were using the Apple-Mail app .. though it loks like a 'standard' problem for many folks.

Archived