Make Love not SPAM (courtesy Lycos)

msealey

That's because some of the major backbones have decided to block all access to the site. Here's an article:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/12/..._backbones.html

20820[/snapback]

The article first mentions that Global Crossing was the first to blackhole the site. As I recall, they bought XO some time ago. (Right?) XO is currently #8 on Spamhaus's top ten spammers list. Maybe they're doing the blackholing not because the site is unethical, but because it endangers their business model? :)

Now, how about a discussion about the ethics of a backbone making editorial decision about what content can or can not be viewed by its customers?

Hmmmmm... The site has a "Stay Tuned" message. My screen saver says the same thing and is not working. Guess it cannot access Lycos database...

It appears that GlobalCrossing is blocking access. How unfair!

How come they don't bother to block access to Spammers sites in the first place???

Of course, they too are making money out of this whole spam deal, right?

... and we are the ones who have to bear the burden of receiving zillions of stupid emails every day rendering our email accounts almost useless.

I really hope that the folks at Lycos manage to get this thing up and going again. In my opinion the best stuff I've seen in years... actually the best stuff since spamcop.net!

I guess there is no way to bypass that dam GBLX block. They are upstream of the worse virus attacker I ever had to deal with and yet they did nothing to stop them for over a year now, despite repeated appeals, yet they have the ordacity to block our access to a legitimate approach to slowing down spammers. I hope enough voices will raise against this intrusion.

I guess there is no way to bypass that dam GBLX block. They are upstream of the worse virus attacker I ever had to deal with and yet they did nothing to stop them for over a year now, despite repeated appeals, yet they have the ordacity to block our access to a legitimate approach to slowing down spammers. I hope enough voices will raise against this intrusion.

20856[/snapback]

I don't think we can complain too much on this. We claim the right to reject unsolicited traffic on our networks when it includes spam messages. Our defence is that we are under no obligation to accept such traffic. I guess this organisation has the same right to refuse to accept traffic for this ill-conceived stuff from Lycos.

Once again spammers have spoilt it for everyone.

Andrew

Per Netcraft (Posted 2 Dec) (noting results from a previous post as compared to the same results today ..) the hosting IP has changed ..

Lycos Europe appears to have at least temporarily taken down its MakeLoveNotSpam site, which has been distributing a screensaver that directs distributed attacks against web sites used by spammers. The site now displays a graphic and the words "STAY TUNED." References to the site have also been removed from the Lycos Europe home page, where it was prominently featured yesterday.

The site has shifted IP addresses from 83.241.136.230 to 213.115.182.123, which are both housed at the web servers of Starring, a Swedish advertising agency which is apparently working with Lycos Europe on the site.

Once again spammers have spoilt it for everyone.

Yes - and (without being hostile to you, honest), what are we supposed to do?!

If this measure is counter-productive, then I'm with you 100%. I really am. But I'm not convinced it has been. First passes at solving a major crisis are rarely successful. But at least they've done something.

Surely if a spammer sends out a solicitation to ten million people, even by the 1% of 1% rule they should expect to be able to take ten thousand requests to examine their wares.

Yes - and (without being hostile to you, honest), what are we supposed to do?!

20917[/snapback]

Just keep on reporting and blocking using the established block-lists. Reporting is great - it really helps me and others keep our mailboxes clear of spam. If you already report spam then thanks for helping.

Using the spamcop blocklist and a SpamCop flat-rate Email account I get about 3 spams in my mailbox per month and that's a bad month.

Of course I get hundreds (possibly more) trapped and disposed of by the blocklist and Email account.

That costs me just $30 a year - a good investment. It has no significant effect on anyone else.

This MakeLoveNotSpam stuff will simply slow the web down for everyone as it gobbles bandwidth.

Andrew

Archived