how to submit

alexxy

right, i do choose to send the report because thats the second process that takes place after i initailly submit the report. im not going to bother w/quick report. but this sudden elimination of spam can't be a coincidence w/the sudden usage of spamcop. (i'll just consider it a blessing then & leave it at that!).

how will i know if i've inadvertently reported myself (er, isp) ?

also, i assume that if i just uncheck any report that has my isp listed, i am safe ?

how will i know if i've inadvertently reported myself (er, isp) ?

also, i assume that if i just uncheck any report that has my isp listed, i am safe ?

If you do not use quick reporting and check every report for where the reports are headed you should not be reporting yourself. Some people take shortcuts to that process (like writing a scri_pt to click the report button automatically) that then causes the problems.

Unchecking any report that lists your ISP is the simplest. If you inspect any headers for reports to your ISP and it seems their IP is the actual source, you are probably more effective to call your help desk and complain directly that you are receiving spam from another customer. Also, you could actually send the report through spamcop after verification, but that is likely to hurt you (by possibly listing your ISP's mail server) and your ISP may not like that you reported them causing other customers to be blocked because of the list.

If you think reporting by forwarding is miraculous you should see what you can get for only US$30 a year! We present ... the SpamCop filtered email account - the only email address you'll ever need! ;-)

23446[/snapback]

Agree! Ditto! have had it now for maybe ½year, and have yet to get ONE spam. Really nice.

(i wonder if my sig shows up BTW because i don't see now but is checked below)

(i wonder if my sig shows up BTW because i don't see now but is checked below)

24512[/snapback]

Yes, the sig does show up if you check the "Enable signature?" Checkbox. However, the Post Composition Page has the peculiar cosmetic bug/feature of not showing one's sig, even in the Post Preview. I guess it saves a little bandwidth, but it can be confusing. Perhaps Wazoo can find a setting to enable viewing of the sig in the Post Preview.

Actually, I've been asking for help in the IPB support forum on some sig items ... for example, when last editing Miss Betsy's "Why am I Blocked?" entry, I noted that the "post has been edited by .." line killed off Miss Betsy's "name" .. but her sig was still attached. However, I'm coming up on 50 posts over there, 8 of them asking for help and have yet to get an actual answer to any of those ... the remainder are my answers to other folks on their queries, having spent the time they didn't wish to spend on reading all the docs available (worse than SpamCop as far as what's not documented), all the other discussions ... and that's a real challenge to keep up, as so many folks post in the wrong areas so often, so sometimes I find the answer to "this" when I'm reading all the posts in a Forum for "that" ...

In reality, part of "my problem" is that support there is also primarily peer-to-peer there, but I'm in the awkward position of not actually running the system, such that I don't have access to the files behind the scenes ... and of course, having read all I can find already, I know I'm asking questions that have not been brought up before <g> .... for example, I believe I can knock the sig off of that post by running an SQL query .. but, I'm not 100% sure of the file layout/naming existing .. and with those questions in mind, I'm not inclined to 'experiment" <g> .... There some interesting "mods" that could be pieced in, but .... configuration files need to be accessed, and of course, the time to patch, test, fix the 'oops' etc .... then on top of that, version 2.1 is allegedly on its way, so that will cause it's own issue, never mind resetting things that I've already changed <g> I have offered to even try to assist in the current newsgroup situation as a secondary reason/excuse, but that also goes to JT giving me direct access to the servers. (big e-mail re-sent a couple of times [thought I CC:'d you?] but not sure if he didn't read that far down, or the 'no answer' was the answer ....???

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, I've been asking for help in the IPB support forum on some sig items ... for example, when last editing Miss Betsy's "Why am I Blocked?" entry, I noted that the "post has been edited by .." line killed off Miss Betsy's "name" .. but her sig was still attached.

24603[/snapback]

That behavior appears to be by design. She wrote it and signed it, you are just editing it. If you want to sign it, please make your own Post. :)

Of course, it would be nice if there was a "post has been edited by .." line (with a reason) for every edit, not just the last one. That would provide a complete editing/revision history.

That behavior appears to be by design.  She wrote it and signed it, you are just editing it.  If you want to sign it, please make your own Post. :)

In the case of the "Why am I Blocked?" (and in a lot of others actually) .. Miss Betsy did the hard work to pull it together. This recent bit of editing dealt with data provided in multiple sources,s o was moving stuff from the newsgroup, trying to match words, formats, and such .. and og course, if I "made a new post" then she could no longer edit it ... Taking credit away from her was not in the plan ...

Of course, it would be nice if there was a "post has been edited by .." line (with a reason) for every edit, not just the last one.  That would provide a complete editing/revision history.

This has already been made in a Suggested Feature Forum over there, but of course, no idea if it's been picked up on by Matt (IPB's version of Julian) ... the same issue of mis-posting and some pretty dang silly posts in there probably make that sectiion something than a daily read ... for instamce, again in the "Suggested Features for duture development" Forum, here's some recent trafffic;

"my web logs show 130,578.63MB worth of traffic. What is this in GB?"

"wouldn't it be neat if there was a way to program in a "go to top of page" somewhere on the screen, especially handy when some of the discussions get really long .... [please look at your board again, there'a a "Top" button at the bottom of every post] ... oh, thanks, I never noticed that before..."

Archived