SC servers under attack??

There's clearly something bad going on with the SpamCop mail and forum servers. I'm getting pop3 timeouts, the webmail page is timing out while loading (before logging in), and even the pages of this forum server are being served extremely slowly. I've actually notices some minor issues along these lines on and off this week, but this afternoon, it's finally reached the point where connections are timing out.

Paging JT!

DT

Frankly, I'm not seeing the same symptoms. pop.spamcop.net, webmail.spamcop.net, forum.spamcop.net, and imap.spamcop.net are performing satisfactorily for me at present. Pinging webmail.spamcop.net (19 hops away) gives me the following results:

Ping statistics for 216.154.195.51:

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 31ms, Maximum =  42ms, Average =  32ms

Are you sure that you are not experiencing some other problem affecting all your connections?

As stated in a PM response, i can't back this up either. Hit the newsgroups, they were fine. Refreshed, read, and posted a response or two here (and the reply PM) with no speed issues seen. I've got four other windows opened into trying to do some page development 'here' .. been tinkering there most of the day, but haven't seen any thing 'bad' ... nothing I've done today should have impacted the Forum at all (thank God <g>) .. others have chimed in on the e-mail servers ...

I can tell you that JT is not logged into the Forum server, and another indicator shows that he hasn't touched that keyboard in quite a while ...???

.. others have chimed in on the e-mail servers ...

"others" implies more than one....but it was only Jeff....twice. :-)

There are still intermittent problems. IIRC, Wazoo, you don't have broadband, do you? If not, any lags wouldn't be as noticeable to you...there were some serious timeouts a little while ago...of that I'm certain.

DT

Are you sure that you are not experiencing some other problem affecting all your connections?

Nope...I thought of that and tested other sites and resources before posting here. Even posting was problematic, in that it took about a minute for this server to come up with the posting form after I clicked. Now it's behaving much better, but there were delays and timeouts with all of the services hosted in Georgia...which, IIUC, is everything except the reporting system and "www.spamcop.net" site.

DT

Yes, you're right on the location of things .. but can't go much futher other than noting that the Forum is on it's own server .... news.spamcop.net and mailsc.spamcop.net respond to different IPs, so would assume that they are are on different servers also .... recall an outage once where everyone was trying to contact him to advise of an outage, the resulting story was that he was in fact on-site, but working on a terminal a couple of bays over from the dead server, and the facility was secure enough that the pager/cell-phone incoming didn't make it inside the facility. Implications would be that there is quite a bit of hardware installed in that building. But to take all that and apply it to "everything" is slow would seem to imply an upstream issue ...????

"others" implies more than one....but it was only Jeff....twice.  :-)

There are still intermittent problems. IIRC, Wazoo, you don't have broadband, do you? If not, any lags wouldn't be as noticeable to you...there were some serious timeouts a little while ago...of that I'm certain.

DT

29858[/snapback]

David:

I have been on the systems (Forum and Webmail) all day with the exception of about 30 minutes while I drove home between 4:30 and 5:00PM EDT and have not experienced any slowness at all. I have a full T1 at work and 1.5MB cable at home.

I have been on the systems (Forum and Webmail) all day with the exception of about 30 minutes while I drove home between 4:30 and 5:00PM EDT and have not experienced any slowness at all.  I have a full T1 at work and 1.5MB cable at home.

The only people logged into the forum during the worst lags were Wazoo, Jeff G., and myself. I have a 5.0 Mbps connection, and all other sites/services were working normally at the time that I was seeing serious lags and even outright timeouts from SpamCop resources. I ran tests from other locations to eliminate any issues local to me, or specifically on the route between me and the servers in Georgia.

Also, this wasn't an single, momentary slowdown...the POP server has been sluggish on and off this week...I pop my SC email manually (along with a string of other hosts) and can see when the response from the SC server isn't up to par.

DT

Archived