[Resolved] POPing (or IMAPing) O2 email

Hi, I just got a new pay-as-you-go mibile from O2 (UK) and with it a new email address. It's obviously a lot cheaper to POP it from my PC than pay network charges to read it, and it would be a lot more convenient to have SpamCop POP it for me. Does anyone out there know what setting I should use? Their web-site doesn't tell me and their eamil support seems clueless:

POP3 is a mobile feature and not a network feature. This means that we are unable to provide any support. This does not mean this will not work, but if you have any problems we are unable to provide any support to fix them.

all I asked for was the hostname and port!

Anyone had any success?

If I use mail.o2.net T'bird contacts server but it wont accept the username and password that I use on the mobile and web-mail successfully.

Ideas?

TIA

Sorry, I seem to be unable to follow your question, so will try to restate what I can.

you have a SpamCop email account,

you have other email accounts you have been using in the past.

you have a new email account for "a new pay-as-you-go mibile from O2 (UK)"

you would like SpamCop to pop your new mibile email account for you.

First: have you been able to pop that new account from your home computer?

If not, I doubt that anyone here will be able to help. You will need to get those settings from your mibile provider.

Once you have that information you can set up your SpamCop account to pop the mail.

I am assuming that you want to do this to have SpamCop filter out the spam so you have less to download.

next question: does your new devise allow for downloading mail from the web or only from its own source? Unless it allows for web access you may not be able to do what I think you want to do.

Good luck.

Have you tried using more security, via SSL, Port 995, SPA, and/or full email address as username? I'd suggest testing one at a time (15 additional combinations).

Their web-site doesn't tell me and their eamil support seems clueless: all I asked for was the hostname and port!

If I use mail.o2.net T'bird contacts server but it wont accept the username and password that I use on the mobile and web-mail successfully.

33890[/snapback]

You did mention the website, but didn't actually say that you coud login there with those same credentials. http://www.o2.co.uk/help/0,,500,00.html?ref=hpmod2txt is what I'm looking at, and like you, I haven't seen a good link anywhere .. and thinking that their Top 10 FAQ list is a bit "cooked" ..???

I do see instructions for setting up "Mobile Web" on two different phones, unsure if there's some data to be gleaned there. Checking the first phone (Nokia) theres a bit of stuff on the PDF (not for customer use .wha's that? <g>) .. but there's a statement that he "use full e-mail address for 'username'" ..??? Does that also match the phone/webmail experience?

Alternatively, you could see if anyone has already invented that wheel by trying to access that account via mail2web, then if that works see how they did it (which may require free hassle-free registration).

Alternatively, you could see if anyone has already invented that wheel by trying to access that account via mail2web, then if that works see how they did it (which may require free hassle-free registration).

33902[/snapback]

Bingo! That works. Now how do I find out how they did it? Have registered for personal homepage btw.

Sorry, I seem to be unable to follow your question, so will try to restate what I can.

First: have you been able to pop that new account from your home computer?

If not, I doubt that anyone here will be able to help. You will need to get those settings from your mibile provider.

Once you have that information you can set up your SpamCop account to pop the mail.

I am assuming that you want to do this to have SpamCop filter out the spam so you have less to download.

next question: does your new devise allow for downloading mail from the web or only from its own source?  Unless it allows for web access you may not be able to do what I think you want to do.

33896[/snapback]

Sorry! I knew what I meant!

Yes I have a spamcop account: I use the [at]cesmail.net as my primary e-mail but get SpamCop to pop my ISP (PlusNet) and Yahoo accounts.

Sorry typo, that should read mobile (=cellphone?? in USA)

New phone account gets free username[at]o2.co.uk automatically

Try to POP from PC using t'bird and username and password: connects to mail.02.net but does not recognize username/password combination.

Same u/p combination is good to log in to page Wazoo found, and to access mailbox via their web-based portal.

I realise that if I can get T'bird to POP I can probably get SpamCop to POP - that's why I'm going down that route.

Thanks all for help and suggestions so far. O2 is one of biggest suppliers in UK so hoped a fellow-brit might already have been there and done that!

Bingo! That works.

33912[/snapback]

Glad to hear it!
Now how do I find out how they did it? Have registered for personal homepage btw.

33912[/snapback]

Having registered, edit the mail2web settings for that account.

Glad to hear it!Having registered, edit the mail2web settings for that account.

33916[/snapback]

RESOLVED :D

for the record, full email address as username, mail.o2.co.uk (not .net) as server

now to get SpamCop to POP it and I can forget all about it!

Thanks all.

Derek.

Excellent! Those same settings should work in your POP Configuration in SpamCop's Webmail. That being the case, I have moved this Topic from the SpamCop Lounge Forum to the SpamCop Email System & Accounts Forum.

Excellent!  Those same settings should work in your POP Configuration in SpamCop's Webmail.  That being the case, I have moved this Topic from the SpamCop Lounge Forum to the SpamCop Email System & Accounts Forum.

33919[/snapback]

Not only should but do!

Once again thanks all.

Archived