HELP!! 66.49.188.249

cloudnine

Can someone help me out? I'm computer illiterate, it's a miracle that I even figured out how to post a message here.

My IP is 66.49.188.249 and I've been blocked since yesterday. We changed all the email passwords, hoping that would fix it, but the problem persists! I don't know how to figure out what is wrong or how to fix it.

SPAMCOP staff - I'm on a Mac, and your support at news:spamcop.net can't be viewed from Mac OSX, please find a solution for Mac users.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated, I don't want to be a source of spam! I DO need to get my business email working, though..

Can someone help me out? I'm computer illiterate, it's a miracle that I even figured out how to post a message here.

Forum FAQ for starters ...???

My IP is 66.49.188.249 and I've been blocked since yesterday. We changed all the email passwords, hoping that would fix it, but the problem persists! I don't know how to figure out what is wrong or how to fix it.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=66.49.188.249

66.49.188.249 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 17 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamTraps defined in the Glossary here, found as link from the SpamCop FAQ (links at the top of this page, Pinned entry in each Forum 'first' page) ...

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...g=66.49.188.249

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........ 3.8 .. 435%

Last 30 days .. 3.0 ..... 2%

Average ........ 3.0

Can you justify those numbers without using the word spam?

SPAMCOP staff - I'm on a Mac, and your supportĀ  at news:spamcop.net can't be viewed from Mac OSX, please find a solution for Mac users.

??? not sure what you are actually saying there ... the link you offer wouldn't work for anyone .... take a look at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=faq&article=20 and try those links ... "newsgroups" run under the NNTP protocol .. I can recall trying a couple of different "newsreader" applications on my iBook, but it's been down for so long, I've forgotten which app I ended up using ...

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated, I don't want to be a source of spam! I DO need to get my business email working, though..

34497[/snapback]

The help you are asking for has been offered as various FAQ entries so one could search and read before posting .... There are also a number of previous folks that have asked the same question and received replies, worked through the problem, were directed elsewhere, etc. .... take the time to look through and read some of those for more help/data.

34497[/snapback]

Have you seen the information at: http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=66.49.188.249
66.49.188.249 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 17 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

There do not seem to be any regular reports against that IP yet. These may be undeliverable messages bouncing back to forged addresses.

SPAMCOP staff - I'm on a Mac, and your supportĀ  at news:spamcop.net can't be viewed from Mac OSX, please find a solution for Mac users.

34497[/snapback]

While I do not use a Mac, I'm sure there are news readers available to access them.

"Most recent spam reported about 7 hours ago".

"If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 16 hours.

Causes of listing

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)".

"Listing History

System has been listed for 44 hours."

Please review your mail server, firewall, and anti-spam software logs, and consult deputies[at]spamcop.net for further information. Thanks!

Thanks guys, particularly Jeff G. for the "deputies AT.." that's where I'll get the help I need.

No thanks to Wazoo for taking the time to be an elitist and tell me to read the forums (I don't have time for that in the middle of the day) when he COULD have used that time to help me out.

Please review your mail server, firewall, and anti-spam software logs, and consult deputies[at]spamcop.net for further information.Ā  Thanks!

34501[/snapback]

You're asking this of a guy who claims to be computer illiterate? Raises the question: what's he doing managing a server, in that case?

Derek, Wazoo

Thanks for your interest in helping.

We did close all the loopholes we thought we had and reconfigured the PTR record on our mail server to the correct one.

Now we may still be vulnerable in some way or another and any suggestions are welcomed but remember PLEASE this is a one man show (for now)Ā  and I am not a technical expert so all your testing with VRFY on-off, the RTFM, the AVG and alike acronyms don't help me much unless I know how to set that up without taking a Microsoft University Degree Course ..... only have 24 hours, a job and a family :-)

34483[/snapback]

No thanks to Wazoo for taking the time to be an elitist and tell me to read the forums (I don't have time for that in the middle of the day) when he COULD have used that time to help me out.

34504[/snapback]

Too funny .. and in just a matter of a couple of hours .... what a difference ...

Who's managing a server? Me? I just have a small business with four email addresses.. does that mean I'm managing a server? I just want my email to work! Not at the cost of being party to spamming, certainly, but how can I tell if it is one of my email addresses sending the spam or if it's a virus or something? It said my emails were caught in a "spam trap" which (I think) is something that only receives unsolicited emails (bulk spam), right? PLUS those stats from my server that said 400%+ increase in email activity is suspicious, BUT I did send about 50 emails yesterday, where I usually only send a handful a day. Could that account for those figures? What does the "magnitude" refer to?

Given that his domain is hosted on what appears to be a shared server host88.host88-server.com run by Canaca-Com, I expect him to ask that server's admins at Canaca-Com (possibly via one of the methods listed on http://www.canaca.com/contactUsNow.php) to look at their logs, since it is their server that is listed. Another data point is that the SSL certificate being used by that server expired in August, and a third data point is that he posted from an entirely different IP Address, using a Rogers Cable modem.

Parsing input: 66.49.188.249

host 66.49.188.249 = host88.host88-server.com (cached)

Routing details for 66.49.188.249

[refresh/show] Cached whois for 66.49.188.249 : abuse[at]canaca.com

Using abuse net on abuse[at]canaca.com

abuse net canaca.com = abuse[at]canaca.com, postmaster[at]canaca.com

Using best contacts abuse[at]canaca.com postmaster[at]canaca.com

If any reports had gone out, this is where they would have ended up.

My IP is 66.49.188.249 and I've been blocked since yesterday.

Assumptions made that "you" were talking about "your" server .... missing data in your initial query. (Again, a FAQ entry on "How to ask a Good question ..." an 'announcement' that appears as Announcement: [How-to] Post a Question ) .... Back to the FAQs .... things like "SpamCop actually blocks nothing" .... the SpamCopDNSBL works on IP address data, not e-mal addresses or Domains .... that you are using someone else's server, you are at risk for their (non)actions ....

Let's not also forget one other item you apparently glossed over ... 99%+ of the support 'here' is from other user volunteering their time and knowledge ....

I did send about 50 emails yesterday, where I usually only send a handful a day. Could that account for those figures? What does the "magnitude" refer to?

34511[/snapback]

No, 50 emails would not account for those figures. The 3.0 average Magnitude is "1.34 Thousand Estimated Daily Email Volume" (perfectly understandable for a shared server). Please see SenderBase's "Magnitude" Explained for details. Thanks!

Who's managing a server? Me? I just have a small business with four email addresses.. does that mean I'm managing a server?

34511[/snapback]

OK, sorry, no offence intended. It is more than possible that you share that server with many other people and it is managed by your service provider. Do you actually have an e-mail server sitting in your office or do you pay someone else (an ISP or MSP) to send your mail for you? If the latter, they have a problem., not you, and it is they who should be checking logs etc., that's what you pay them for! You may ne an innocent bystander and if so should complain to your service provider for not getting the service you pay for.

It has to be said that MOST of us use and ISP/MSP for e-mail and share the mail server with perhaps several thousand other customers of that provider. Unfortunately, the only non-forgeable value in spam is the IP address of the server it came from. SpamCop lists those IPs, if they are shared it's a case of 'one out, all out'.

So are you in charge of Canaca.com or is that your ISP?

Okay, so if I've already got Canaca checking it out, do you think it's safe for me to apply for instant restoration of my services?

And I am connecting with a Rogers Cable modem, our email is sent via a webmail service through our website's host who presumably resells space on Canaca servers... right?

Okay, so if I've already got Canaca checking it out, do you think it's safe for me to apply for instant restoration of my services?

Do any of these addresses track back to "you" ..???

abuse[at]host88-server.com

postmaster[at]host88-server.com

administrator[at]host88-server.com

hostmaster[at]host88-server.com

If not, the de-listing option is not yours to make.

And I am connecting with a Rogers Cable modem, our email is sent via a webmail service through our website's host who presumably resells space on Canaca servers... right?

34516[/snapback]

Now you're asking for some research time from that elitist type or someone like him to figure out "your" hosting solution ... and this just after slamming him in public ... hmmmmm .. lemme jump right on that issue for you ....

I'm just one of many people sharing this server...

34517[/snapback]

And as such, let's also point out (again referencing data found within the FAQ entries that were typed up so one didn't have to go through all this back and forth and repeat the same data over and over ...... wasting everyone's precious time... having to put up with 'elitest attitudes' .... just a few reasons for a FAQ [Frequently Asked Questions list])

Your out-going e-mail only runs into the "problem" when sending to another ISP that has decided to use the SpamCopDNSBL as a "blocking" tool ... this is not a universal condition, such that in reality, only a "portion" of your out-going e-mail would run into problems. There are temporary solutions suggested, not withstanding the fact that there are only a very few places that even attempt to "guarantee e-mail delivery" .. the "Internet" offers no such guarantee ....

Hey man, I explicitly said in my first message that I'm computer illiterate! I'm sure you're used to dealing with IT Techs and what-have-you but I sell print and marcom solutions. I'm not asking for details on my hosting solution, I just wanted to know:

Q.Why are my emails being blocked?

A.Because my email is hosted on someone else's server and their server has been compromised.

Q.What can I do about it?

A.Nothing. It is up to canaca.com to fix the problem.

Q.So what should I do?

A.Get a free hotmail account to use temporarily.

That is all I was after.. and though much technical talk and figures have gone by, noone has said those things in those words. I do appreciate your help! Particularly I appreciate that there is staff online live, great service! My only issue is that it was really hard for me, as a technically-challenged individual, to figure this out. I don't know if there's a better solution like putting a big gaudy red button on spamcop.net that says "Click here if you don't know what any of this means", but I urge you to remember that things you consider child's play are science fiction to some of us!

No hard feelings :P

Oh wait... I see.. so no, I can't get my services restored at all... only Canaca can apply to have this server unlisted on spamcop, because it's their server. I'm just one of many people sharing this server...

34517[/snapback]

looks like it. Canaca need first to solve the problem, THEN ask for de-listing. They should have had notification of their listing and should be working to resolve their spam problem. Please note that it is a VERY small proportion of ISPs who reject outright mail from a listed server and that SpamCop does not recommend this action (tagging as 'possible spam' is the preferred action). So you should be able to send mail to most of your customers anyway, regardless of the listing. SpamCop itself blocks/refuses NOTHING never has, cant't, and never will.

Hey man, I explicitly said in my first message that I'm computer illiterate! I'm sure you're used to dealing with IT Techs and what-have-you but I sell print and marcom solutions.

Did you try the very first link I suggested? http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=faq&article=20

I'm not asking for details on my hosting solution,

I still see the ",right?" in your previous post ... excuse me for reading that as a question.

That is all I was after.. and though much technical talk and figures have gone by, noone has said those things in those words.

Again, your initial query started with "my e-mail, my server, my IP address" .... all data/results pointed to an e-mail server admin type ....

I do appreciate your help! Particularly I appreciate that there is staff online live, great service!

Note: "volunteers" .... please see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=faq&article=13 and other users .... does not fit into the typical "staff" definition

My only issue is that it was really hard for me, as a technically-challenged individual, to figure this out. I don't know if there's a better solution like putting a big gaudy red button on spamcop.net that says "Click here if you don't know what any of this means", but I urge you to remember that things you consider child's play are science fiction to some of us!

34521[/snapback]

Thus the SpamCop FAQ 'here' ... the SpamCop Glossary 'here' .... the "How to tutorials 'here' ... a lot of entries came from "other than elitest" types ... when you get the time, take a look at what does exist here ... help "us" help other folks ...

Noting that the "A.From the FAQ: Why am I Blocked?" entry was pieced together by a sweet lady, self-admitted non-technophobe, without a clue on how to adminster an e-mail server, .. on and on ... but she saw the need for the data and did something about it .... thank the Gods that none of "us" chose to help her in that endeavor <g>

Archived