Where's the KnowledgeBase?

DavidT

...you might want to take a look at the population of the KnowledgeBase thing I installed here.

Where? I just spent a few minutes checking all around the Forum site, looking for a "KnowledgeBase" (labled as such) and I didn't find one.

At the bottom of a "Menu" found by clicking on the "Start Here - before you make your first Post" link, I find an item labled "Issues with "this" KnowledgeBase / FAQ," but when I click on it, I wind up on a screen without any content:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=faq&cat=26

I wind up on the same screen as the first "hit" when I do a Search (using the "Search for" function at the top of the interface) on "knowledgebase."

?

dt

EDIT: Wazoo extracted this from http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5209 and made this new Topic ...

Where? I just spent a few minutes checking all around the Forum site, looking for a "KnowledgeBase" (labled as such) and I didn't find one.

34794[/snapback]

Please see new link up top

As to the notification issue (that you edited out, it appears) ... Yes, I noted last night that yes, I did do a writeup on the "subscribe" feature, but no, I failed to include that data into the Forum FAQ thing I built up ... started to work on that last night, however, that one too many windows things got me, and while closing down to re-boot, the phone stared ringing ... then got back and saw new traffic, new PMs, new e-mail, got a bit distracted ... turns out that the "plenty of sodas in the fridge" turned out to be beer left from my son's visit a couple of weeks back ... I remember tossing a can into one of those foam wrappers to keep it cold, opening it, taking a swig and realizing it wasn't a soda ... nodded out somewhere in there and still had a full can (now warm) of beer sitting here .... then noted some nasty traffic that occurred while I was "out" ...

Anyway, first reference link: Forum / Topic Subscription, Options ... a bit of a caveat on that .. note the *user(s) active in the past 10 minutes down at the bottom of the main Forum page ... that "10 minutes" comes into play if someone responds "too quickly" to your post <g> (also based on the subscription option applied)

Adding this data to the Forum FAQ is on the list of things to try to get accomplished today .... as is an entry or two into the "Issues with this thing" section of the KnowledgeBase view of the FAQ(s) ....

apologies for the delay in responding ....

The issue of finding the "KnowledgeBase" is still open, in that one doesn't find the word "KnowledgeBase" in the primary interface, but I do see it referenced in the Start Here - before you make your first Post screen.

What's up with all the "D2" labels? You've probably covered that elsewhere, but if you can, I'd get rid of the "D2" part.

As to the notification issue (that you edited out, it appears) ...
Nope...I only mentioned that in a PM to you, and not here in this Topic.

apologies for the delay in responding ....
Don't even think about it....your input is appreciated whenever it arrives...delays are not a problem.

Thanks,

DT

The issue of finding the "KnowledgeBase" is still open, in that one doesn't find the word "KnowledgeBase" in the primary interface,

OK, this would be all my fault. I'm using that word to differentiate this latest thing from the "look at the FAQ" confusion problem ... the "official" SpamCop FAQ, the Forum version of the SpamCop FAQ, the Forum FAQ that I (with help) constructed, the IPB FAQ that comes with ths application, the links to the IPB FAQ, the Horde/IMP FAQ, on and on ... and this thing is totally different (well from most of them ... IPB runs a tool that JT offered to buy a year or so ago, but I got so little feedback on that [both here and the newsgroups] that nothing came of it)

So anyway, being called a KnowledgeBase is all me ...

What's up with all the "D2" labels? You've probably covered that elsewhere, but if you can, I'd get rid of the "D2" part.

Dean - the author - has a number of his mods identified by the version of IPB they're compatible with .. in this case, 2.0.x ... (just for the record, Dean is a student .. whether that means college or the third grade, I have no idea, don't really care actually ... judging by commentary embedded in the code, he has no ego problems <g>) In general, his coding is pretty good. But there's also the issue that he tends to write code to do what he wants, tosses it out there, and basically "doesn't suffer fools well" that have problems installing, running, or "fixing" his code ...

For example, part of the install of this modificcation in fact includes placing the "FAQ" link up top right after the "Calendar" link ... (assumption made that the 'front page' header block is default IPB distribution ... woe to that person that modified the crap out of that page and it's not in 'default' mode.) IN one of the support forums for the app (not sure whether it was on Invisionize or his site) someone specifically asked where that "FAQ" link (title) was located, as he/she wanted t change it. The (as I recollect, colorful) response was that it was found in the "language" file, such that any idiot could find it. As it turns out, the D2 thing you're pointing at is in fact in that "language" file and thus could be changed by "any fool" ... but the item being asked about turns out to be buried in a Base-64 encoded section of the install routine .. not quite the "any fool's" type of playground <g>

I had looked at changing the link here to something like KB-FAQ, again, something to set it apart, but that got me remembering the 800x600 display issue, with that line of stuff already causing an issue as it's basically too long with all the links I've already added there ... Poll: Screen sizes / resolutions (wow, 624 views, but only 24 'votes' to help answer my query .&^%$#) And naturally, while I'm contemplating how to approach that, life happens <g>

Nope...I only mentioned that in a PM to you, and not here in this Topic.

34866[/snapback]

Geeze, I just remembered that I'd seen it at about the same time, noted the "edited by:" line and went with that while you were posting over in the How To ... forum that you might have caught that other post and thus the edit was the removal .... OK, I get confused and I admit it ... on the other hand, I did get a new Sharpie, relabelled the keys on this keybard and am now making a lot less typing mistakes, hopefully reducing the time between responses <g> (once again, let me tell you, that "Permanent Ink" banner on the package is an out-right lie! .. letters disappearing again as you read this <g>)

34866[/snapback]

Logged into the Forum control panel, got into the "edit language file" mode, selcted "the" language file to edit, got a passle of error messages ... oh yeah ..

Had to log into the server directly with another set of tools, edit this file directly, resave, verify that it took (and still worked) ... change made ...

Errors were based on file ownership and privilges .. to keep the modifications distinct, these files are owned by "me" .. permissions were set that only "I" have write permissions to that file, so even though the Forum software can read and use that data, I couldn't edit it from there because "the Forum" can't write to that file ... sometimes it's hard to even keep up with myself ...anyway, D2 changed to SC .. thanks ...

on the other hand, I did get a new Sharpie, relabelled the keys on this keybard and am now making a lot less typing mistakes, hopefully reducing the time between responses <g> (once again, let me tell you, that "Permanent Ink" banner on the package is an out-right lie! .. letters disappearing again as you read this <g>)

34870[/snapback]

I did notice that...and permenant only applies to where you DON'T want it, like my kitchen table thanks to the two angels sleeping (I hope) upstairs right now ;)

Archived