New System and headers

spirefm

1. Somewhere on this site there is description of a new system which will become compulsory. I can't find it. Please tell me where it is.

2. When reporting spam, are we supposed to attach the full header or not? I really think some screenshots in the help section would make this sort of question unnecessary.

1. Somewhere on this site there is description of a new system which will become compulsory. I can't find it. Please tell me where it is.

35727[/snapback]

This is news to me, not sure what you are referring to.

2. When reporting spam, are we supposed to attach the full header or not? I really think some screenshots in the help section would make this sort of question unnecessary.

35727[/snapback]

This is clearly documented all over the place. But let's think about it for a second. Ask yourself this question. How can the sending server/organization be located and a report generated to them if spamcop does not have the headers of the offending e-mail?

<snip>

35727[/snapback]

Hi, spirefm,

...Are you referring to Mailhosts configuration? If so, you might start with the topic called Pinned: Mailhost System Configuration Explanation, then have a look at selected other articles in the Mailhost System Configuration forum and the Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting (search for "mailhost" to find the relevant articles, one of which it turns out I already mentioned, above). If you have more questions after reading this material, please return here to post them.

...By the way, as far as I know, there has been no announcement as to when it will become compulsory but it is very highly recommended.

...Good luck!

New? Perhaps back when Julian asked for folks to Beta test it back on Mar 17 2004, 01:24 PM MailHosts System Beta Test Invitation, New Parsing Tool Routines

35727[/snapback]

"The Help section" ...????? "Help" here leads to some internal documentation on this Forum application. "Help" on the www.spamcop.net page leads you into some pages that includes the original/official FAQ, problems here led to the creation of the Forum version of that FAQ that has been expanded, and yet anohter version of that combination of FAQs is being built .... there is a How-to-use ... forum section that has some data available .... Once again, this data would have been 'seen' by following the Start Here - before you make your first Post ...

I don't care to try to answer your second question as asked, as I have no idea just what you might mean by "attach the full header" ...... The 'normal' debate is someone seeing "forward your spam" then coming into one of the support venues with the complaint that the parser complained about not finding headers/body/content/whatever in that submittal. This usally then gets a response about trying the "Forward as attachment" mode, as referenced in other parts of the FAQ. One example of the difference is found at OE6 Secure handling of e-mail, Why Forward won't work ... though not a screen shot, the data is there. I won't even touch the fact that "how to get your e-mail application to show full/unmodified headers" has such a long list of apps and instruction/details sets that it would seem obvious that "full headers" might be somewhat important.

Please also see my new FAQ Entry: Forwarding "As Attachment" From OE6.

35738[/snapback]

I've read all these things and still am not clear because the explanations themselves are not clear. Normally (ie not spamcop) one is told to forward the email AFTER attaching the full header obtained by right clicking on the email and selecting 'message source', clicking on that, saving it and then pasting it into the top of the email. That is what I call the 'full header'.

Quote from Mailhost configuration

"it will become mandatory for all users"

who said it won't be compulsory?

But thanks for pointing me to the right place. Colim

EDIT: removed the redundant quote of user's previous post, which had nothing to do with contents of this post

I've read all these things and still am not clear because the explanations themselves are not clear. Normally (ie not spamcop) one is told to forward the email AFTER attaching the full header obtained by right clicking on the email and selecting 'message source', clicking on that, saving it and then pasting it into the top of the email. That is what I call the 'full header'.

35805[/snapback]

That would give you ONLY the "full header", not the "entire message with full header" as required by spamcop. Forward as attachment generally gives you the "entire message with full header" so nothing more is needed.

Remember that when forwaring to spamcop, no human will be reading the message as (hopefully) when you are sending to an abuse desk. The spamcop software requires the input (email in this case) to be in a specific format so it can determine the original message from the forwarding action used to get it to spamcop.

35805[/snapback]

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=faq&article=1

SpamCop will parse the headers of unwanted email

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=faq&article=25

Reporting spam

Revealing Full Headers

Once a recipient determines that an email really is spam, the recipient needs to reveal the full email headers to report it accurately to SpamCop. Without full headers, SpamCop will report an error. Getting full headers from an email software is often a hurdle to reporting spam. Most email software is not clear about how to get full headers. However, practically all email software provides a way to get full headers. Consult the email software's FAQ to learn how to get the headers from the software.

What do you mean by "full headers"?

OE6 Secure handling of e-mail, Why Forward won't work

I'm truly sorry, but I fail to see how the "requirement for full headers" can be seen as "not clear" .....

You "instructions" vary from product to product, vendor to vendor, application to application .. and as mentioned before, the FAQ section on "How to get full/unmodified headers from your e-mail application" is extensive, yet far from complete.

35806[/snapback]

One can only once again point you to Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff and ask that you note the poster's name of the item you're quoting from. Note also the status of other folks involved, note also the "user-to-user" note supplied at each Forum section entry screen ....????

<snip>

...By the way, as far as I know, there has been no announcement as to when it will become compulsory but it is very highly recommended.

<snip>

35732[/snapback]

<snip>

35806[/snapback]

...No one said it won't be compulsory: I said that "as far as I know, there has been no announcement as to when it will become compulsory." Hope adding the bold text makes it clearer.

How to "Forward as Attachment" items have been developed for some applications ..... some existed already in the "How to use ... Reporting" Forum, other were recently developed, all have been added to the Forum version of the SpamCop FAQ found here , there is a new link placed in the listing seen on the Portal Page, and entries now placed into the KnowledgeBase view of the SpamCop FAQ .....

• 2 weeks later...
How to "Forward as Attachment" items have been developed for some applications ..... some existed already in the "How to use ... Reporting" Forum, other were recently developed, all have been added to theĀ  Forum version of the SpamCop FAQ found here , there is a new link placed in the listing seen on the Portal Page, and entries now placed into the KnowledgeBase view of the SpamCop FAQ .....

35863[/snapback]

I'm sorry but I'm still not clear about this business of attaching the 'full header'. Above I'm told that simply forwarding the email is enough. I am doing more than that. In Outlook Express if one selects the message properties, then message source one can copy and paste the full message source onto the forwarded message. This is the way in which Yahoo, Hotmail, Virgin and others have advised me to report spam. Does this site not want this additional information?

I'm sorry but I'm still not clear about this business of attaching the 'full header'. Above I'm told that simply forwarding the email is enough. I am doing more than that. In Outlook Express if one selects the message properties, then message source one can copy and paste the full message source onto the forwarded message. This is the way in which Yahoo, Hotmail, Virgin and others have advised me to report spam. Does this site not want this additional information?

36475[/snapback]

Using Outlook Express, the easiest way is to forward as attachment.

Yes we do need the entire headers.

Also, standard forward (clicking on the forward button) is no good. It does not send the entire original headers. - Do NOT use it to report spam.

I find this both odd and bad .... after making the last post including "I still don't understand" .... which comes after all the dialog on pointers to existing data, remarks concerning work that went on after the initial posting from this user, additions generated for and added to the FAQ lists found here, with pointers to that data provided yet again ... only "now" does one see this user as Status (Active in topic: FAQ Entry: Forwarding "As Attachment" From OE6) .... and this is while other folks have taken the time to once again point out the same data that the FAQ entries contain. This is not the way the FAQ is supposed to be used.

No, it is not the way the FAQ are to be used. But it seemed to me that this poster was having trouble seeing beyond the 'full headers' being forwarded. Sometimes that happens. After all, the way he describes /is/ the way to report to abuse desks.

Have you never forgotten to turn off your blinkers?

Miss Betsy

In Outlook Express if one selects the message properties, then message source one can copy and paste the full message source onto the forwarded message. ... Does this site not want this additional information?

36475[/snapback]

That is more work than is necessary (unless you are already viewing the message source to help you decide whether or not the message meets both your definition of spam and SpamCop's definition of SpamCop Reportable spam). I usually recommend "Forward As Attachment" for email spam submittal from OE, especially for submittal of multiple messages at once, although I usually just move the spam messages to my SpamCop Email System Held Mail mailbox/Folder using IMAP. Based on my OE Rules, From and Subject are usually enough for me to make the "whether or not to Report with SpamCop" decision on my messages.

Archived