my website is somehow blacklisted?

monsieurms

I am a little perplexed and put out that messages sent by my site are being marked as spam. Every one of these is a subscribed topic--just like people on this BB subscribe to THIS forum---from my forum.

How do I fix this? It cannot continue that important messages from my site that members request are being id'd as spam and trashed. This threatens my operation and has to change.

Full header:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail15c.boca15-verio.com. I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<mark[at]marksquires.com>:

66.103.135.232 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550-Message rejected because mail15c.boca15-verio.com [131.103.218.142] is 550-blacklisted at bl.spamcop.net see Blocked - see 550 http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?131.103.218.142

Giving up on 66.103.135.232.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <msquires[at]erobertparker.com>

Received: from mx19.bcrtfl01.us.mxservers.net (131.103.218.70)

by mail15c.boca15-verio.com (RS ver 1.0.95vs) with SMTP id 3-0875305688

for <msquires[at]erobertparker.com>; Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:01:28 -0500 (EST)

Received: from smrly1.cambma1-dc1.cscehub.com [207.240.0.136] (EHLO smrly1.cambma1-dc1.cscehub.com)

by mx19.bcrtfl01.us.mxservers.net (mxl_mta-1.3.8-10p4) with ESMTP id 8d390244.3846.054.mx19.bcrtfl01.us.mxservers.net;

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:01:28 -0500 (EST)

Received: from erobpark-2.hosting.bbnplanet.com (erobpark-2.chntva1-dc1.cscehub.com [128.11.153.74])

by smrly1.cambma1-dc1.cscehub.com (8.12.10/8.12.10) with ESMTP id k2M01R7r015378

for <msquires[at]erobertparker.com>; Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:01:27 GMT

Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1]) by erobpark-2.hosting.bbnplanet.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:01:22 -0500

To: msquires[at]erobertparker.com

From: "Mark Squires' Bulletin Board on eRobertParker.com Forums" <msquires[at]erobertparker.com>

Message-ID: <200603220022.6bad6a307914[at]dat.erobertparker.com>

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Subject: New Post/Thread Notification: COMMERCE CORNER

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 22 Mar 2006 00:01:22.0488 (UTC) FILETIME=[C11FEB80:01C64D43]

Date: 21 Mar 2006 19:01:22 -0500

X-spam: [F=0.0100000000; heur=0.500(1600); stat=0.010; spamtraq-heur=0.500(2006032108)]

X-MAIL-FROM: <msquires[at]erobertparker.com>

X-SOURCE-IP: [207.240.0.136]

X-Loop-Detect:1

X-DistLoop-Detect:1

<HTML>Hello, <I>David Goerisch </i>has just posted in the <B>COMMERCE CORNER</b> forum in the thread <b><I>Alban Lorraine shipping????.</i> </b> Message: <P>I got mine today also. Anyone else have a problem with heavy condensation on the bottles, which caused damage to some of the labels (particularly the Lorraine)?

<P> This thread is located at <I> <A HREF="http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?threadid=87444">http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?threadid=87444 </a></i> </html>

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=131.103.218.142

131.103.218.142 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 8 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

System administrator has already delisted this system once

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...131.103.218.142

Other information about this IP address

Sender Category

Network Owner Verio Web Hosting (SME)

Domain boca15-verio.com

Date of first message seen from this address 2004-08-19

CIDR range 131.103.192.0/18

# of domains controlled by this network owner 32432

So from the top .. this has nothing to do with your "web site"

03/21/06 19:03:16 Slow traceroute erobertparker.com

Trace erobertparker.com (128.11.153.75) ...

rather the shared e-mail server that you are using, leaving you at the mercy of all those other users and the ISP control of that/those server(s) ... Again, there is nothing about "your site" involved, it's the IP address of the e-mail server being used to send your e-mail (and the receipient ISP tha is using the SpamCopDNSBL in a "blocking" mode, which even SpamCop.net doesn't recommend.

SPAMCOP SpamCop Blocking List: bl.spamcop.net -> 127.0.0.2

Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?131.103.218.142

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLARSBL Blars Block List: block.blars.org -> 127.1.0.32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPAMBAG Spambags: blacklist.spambag.org -> backscatter2.blacklist.spambag.org. -> 127.0.0.2

backscatter2.blacklist.spambag.org.

Blocked - see http://www.spambag.org/cgi-bin/spambag?mailfrom=backscatter2

When you sleep with dogs your bound to get fleas!

Remote host said: 550-Message rejected because mail15c.boca15-verio.com [131.103.218.142] is 550-blacklisted at bl.spamcop.net see Blocked - see 550 http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?131.103.218.142

Giving up on 66.103.135.232.

41507[/snapback]

131.103.218.142 is a mail server

For this IP to get blocked means SpamCop has sent hundreds of abuse reports to the listed owner of this IP?

For Mail Server 131.103.218.142 to get listed by SpamCop means this Mail server is NOT listing the IP source (the computer sending the spam)

This is an example of a properly configured email server

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z871249632zae6106dbbd2b364ca8a481fc16532d2az

IP 203.134.9.119 is my computer and what SpamCop would block in a properly configured set-up

Suggest you look for a competent provider

I am a little perplexed and put out that messages sent by my site are being marked as spam. Every one of these is a subscribed topic--just like people on this BB subscribe to THIS forum---from my forum.

How do I fix this? It cannot continue that important messages from my site that members request are being id'd as spam and trashed. This threatens my operation and has to change.

41507[/snapback]

Web-sites do not send out messages: mailservers do.

If your operation relies on email it would pay you to get a competent and reliable provider of email services. Verio is a sewer, in spam terms, get out of it and you will smell much better. You are the only one who can effect the necessary change that 'has to' happen.

While we're about it, your messages are NOT being 'id'd as spam'; they are being flagged as coming from a spammy mailserver, no judgement is being made as to their content.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. However, forgive me if I am more convinced than ever that the only realistic solution to spam is whitelisting and products that attempt to identify spam and spammers are too often wrong, and themselves become the problem, which is why I refuse to use one. Choice Mail works, though. ;)

Web-sites do not send out messages: mailservers do.

If your operation relies on email it would pay you to get a competent and reliable provider of email services. Verio is a sewer, in spam terms, get out of it and you will smell much better. You are the only one who can effect the necessary change that 'has to' happen.

While we're about it, your messages are NOT being 'id'd as spam'; they are being flagged as coming from a spammy mailserver, no judgement is being made as to their content.

41518[/snapback]

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. However, forgive me if I am more convinced than ever that the only realistic solution to spam is whitelisting and products that attempt to identify spam and spammers are too often wrong, and themselves become the problem, which is why I refuse to use one. Choice Mail works, though. ;)

41526[/snapback]

If you look around the FAQ you'll see that SpamCop does not recommend blocking mode. The IP address is a bit of a blunt instrument, legitimate mail gets flagged along with the spam BUT it is the only thing that a spammer can not forge. Responible ISPs welcome spamcop reports as they give them a heads-up and they can fix the problem, before they get listed. Irresponsible/clueless ones reject or ignore them and end up on the list. In the end, it's the power of your $/£/€ that will persuade ISPs to act responsibly.

Choicemail is probably what primarily CAUSED your problem! You are using a system that will blindly fire back spam mails to noninvolved third parties. Including spamtraps.

C/R is not the solution, C/R is part of the problem. Please read:

Say NO to the Challenge/Response Lunacy

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...402entry16402

Challenge-Response Anti-spam Systems Considered Harmful

http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/challenge-response.html

A. Friend

41526[/snapback]

Just get yourself a reliable email provider like SpamCop's The one you are using is trash! For a email server to get listed by SpamCop means

(1) They ignore abuse reports SpamCop would atempt to send around 100 before listing a mail server

( 131.103.218.142 ) To: abuse#verio.net[at]devnull.spamcop.net

(this means they are not accepting abuse reports from SpamCop at this time?)

(2) The mail server is not stamping the source IP the email is coming fromGoogle evidence This means other blocklists will be adding this "Mail server" to their lists

Do not accept the email address your provider forces on you and ask for a discount for not using it!

If they can give evidence that it is properly configured (this one is not) so do not use it

Email addresses need a virus filter and a "spam" folder that uses the worlds most accurate blocklist for sorting spam (SCBL into and then REPORTS) that spam to the abuse address listed (for the source IP) so that any spam hole can then be closed

Choice Mail works, though. ;)

41526[/snapback]

From ChoiceMail's own web site:

ChoiceMail does not bother with things like deep header analysis, anti-spoofing, heuristics, or image decoding because it doesn't need to!

This means it is sending the challenge to whichever email address happens to be forged into the header. While you are keeping your inbox clean, your anti-spam solution is simply spamming the innocent third parties with their names on spam lists like yourself. Some of those addresses could also be spamtraps, explaining your current problem. ChoiceMail is not the solution, it is part of the problem.

Archived