Quick reporting data Reports

The ability to disable SpamCop's automatic response to "Quick" spam submissions is now available as a user option.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Moderator edit: This option did not work as exected and has been removed. Things are back to normal.

The history of events follows for those still interested in reading them.

Don stated that the option may be reinstated at a later date when the bugs are worked out.

Newsgroups: spamcop.help

Subject: Re: Quick reporting data Reports

Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 00:36:07 -0600

Message-ID: <qgsi625os1he8l7u738rukjhv7u4atutpt[at]4ax.com>

Alan Brown wrote:

>-I just looked and did not see this feature. Which options panel is this

>-found on?

It's in the "Report Handling Options" section under the "Preferences"

tab on the reporting server.

http://www.spamcop.net

http://members.spamcop.net

http://mailsc.spamcop.net

- Don -

and that was followed by yet another "where is it?" query ...

Newsgroups: spamcop

Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 02:29:43 -0500

Message-ID: <e4bv17$v7i$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

"Tim McGraw" wrote in message

news:e4bth0$u92$1[at]news.spamcop.net...

>

> There's nothing under either of the two user Spamcop preference

categories.

>

> There's nothing under Webmail/Mail Management/Spamcop Tools.

>

> Searching the forums for 'Quick Report data' produces two posts from 2005.

That search query is probably too restrictive, but .....

Don had posted this same Announcement in the Reporting Forum

around the same time as the newsgroup posts. I just copied off

his answer in the spamcop.help newsgroup about the option

being available at;

It's in the "Report Handling Options" section under the "Preferences"

tab on the reporting server.

I didn't see it, but I don't Quick-Report, actually not sure

how long it's been since I used the parser for other than

troubleshooting some else's issues ..???

And I would have to admit that I can not find it either.

I have the following text between Report reply handling and spam Munging and it seems the default is set to disabled.

Quick Data Reports

Disable quick data reports

Enable quick data reports

When you use "quick" spam submission SpamCop sents automatic "[spamCop] Quick reporting data" response. By choosing "Disable quick data reports", you can override this behavior.

Thanks Steven. It helps to know where to look, but in my case there is nothing between Report reply handling and spam Munging in either my Email account, my paid reporting account or my new free reporting account. And spam Munging is the first entry in my ISP account (of course Quick Reporting does not apply to a ISP account).

Unfortunately, it turns out that the option is NOT available to Email Filtering Service users who are reporting spam from their Held Mail folder. It only applies to reporting accounts that have been granted "quick" access for email spam submissions.

Please accept my apologies for getting your hopes up prematurely. The omission is my fault because I didn't realize that including Email Filtering Service users would require specific code to tie the option to their reporting accounts.

I just now submitted a request to have my error fixed.

While we're waiting for that to happen, I would be happy to enable email "quick" reporting for users who are reporting spam from their Held Mail folder so they can take advantage of the option.

You can contact me about that at: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

As posted into 'one' of the newsgroups, as a reply in a discussion elsewhere on this Forum ... being brought here to the original Announcement made 'here' ..... Complaint was the Quick-Reporting from the SpamCop.net e-mail accounts were being sent from JT's systems to the IronPort systems, but .... stopped there ... and apparently, part of the software change seems to set the flag for all (though "all" is conditionally based on the few that have noticed, made it known, etc. .. and the responses seen from Ellen and Don in the newsgroup traffic ... issue being that Don was looking at an "engineering report" when he made the Announcement, Ellen read some Deputy e-mail about "problems with Quick-Reports" .. and eventually they got together and saw what the "problem" turned out to be ....????

Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:09:48 -0600

Message-ID: <upmk62d94vk47590iochdog0c9opukt723[at]4ax.com>

Disabling "quick data reports" also disables quick reporting. The

system accepts the spam, but won't process it.

Setting your Preferences to "Enable quick data reports" will return

things to normal.

I don't know where we went wrong. I don't write code, so all I can do

is read the engineer's report and growl about how it all looks like

geek to me.

We've submitted a high-priority request for a fix. Even so, it could

take days. Hopefully not.

Sorry for all the trouble. I was really excited about seeing the

feature finally come alive... and now this.

Well I don't see any option for enabling quick reports in my Preferences and still none of my quick reports for the last two days have been processed.

Edit...sorry I see the explanation above and have emailed accordingly.

Edit...sorry I see the explanation above and have emailed accordingly.

And per that e-mail exchange, traffic in another forum section - Quick Reporting - none filed all day ; some additional data about Quick-Reporting via the web-mail interface ...

Anyway...got a reply from Don:

We created a user option to disable the "Quick data report" that SpamCop sends when you report spam, and implemented it on the 15th. Unfortunately, there was something wrong with the new code and it apparently disabled "quick" reporting for everybody.

I fixed it for your account, so you should be back to normal now.

I'm really sorry about all the trouble. I have a high-priority request in to make it right. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you can disable the "Quick data report" responses from the system if you want..

- Don -

There seems to be an isue with the option appearing under Preferences on the www.spamcop.net web-page, even though it appears the database field has been entered and "set to Default - No reports" for web-mail users (probably based on a look-ip of the Quick-Report enabled flag for those that asked for that option, but this was not the same data / field used to add the options to the user-account Preferences menu) .... Again, I'm sitting over here in the dark, just using that systems-analyst hat and putting facts together as they show up ....

and yet more unannounced data, also not attributed by the poster for some reason .....

Subject: Re: No Reports Files

Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 04:09:04 -0400

Message-ID: <e4jugo$2dg$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

<snip>

If you turn off the quick email report option in preferences or do not have the quick report

option in preferences quick reports will not run and you get "No reports file"

Below is what I got from a deputy.

Yes, the latest SpamCop version that went live on Monday includes a new feature that allows

users to turn off the sending of the summary reports when submitting throught the quick system.

Unfortunately this new coding contained a bug that completely disables the quick reporting

system :-(

Compounding the problem, while the fix has been available since Wednesday, the person who

approves changes and pushes them to the production server has been off sick. I do see a note

from Don earlier today asking for an emergency exemption allowing one of the other engineers to

push the code, but don't see a response to his request.

If it hasn't already been done, hopefully by COB Friday.

Thanks for the update. I guess if there are people who still aren't getting reports filed via the Quick method and who don't see the option under the Preferences tab, just email service[at]admin.spamcop.net with your Email account details.

Just as a summary as I understand the current status:

The vast majority of SpamCop email users who either use the Quick reporting options in the VER interface or the "Report spam" option in WebMail are no longer having their Reports processed.

Due to a programming change on May 15, 2006 a new option was made available allowing users to turn off the sending of the "[spamCop] Quick reporting data" emails by SpamCop.

There are several problems with the new option:

1) It was set by default to Do not send the acknowledgment emails

2) The option settings, which are suppose to be found in the Report Handling Preferences were created only for those with standard reporting accounts that had quick reporting use approved. Email account preference settings files were not updated, BUT the default of do not send the reports WAS applied.

3) The new option does not work correctly. When it is set, not only does the email summary not get sent, BUT the reports themselves never get processed.

The current status is: If you do not get the email summary, your reports are not being processed.

You can check the "Past Reports" option in your full reporting interface to see if the reports are being sent or not. If you find the following:

Submitted: Friday, May 19, 2006 7:02:37 AM -0700: (this date will be the date you sent the request to process the quick report)

while search for a copy has often been in vain.

No reports filed

You can be sure that you are wasting your time using the quick reporting option.

Hopefully this will be corrected in the near future.

Email users do have the following option if they want to use quick reporting before the problem is fixed:

You can send an email to Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin at: service[at]admin.spamcop.net and he will see to it that your individual account is patched so that the preference option is available and so that you can turn it off.

<snip>

You can be sure that you are wasting your time using the quick reporting option.

Hopefully this will be corrected in the near future.

<snip>

I'm not sure this is all the truth. As you stated the Quick Data Reports option was set to "Disable quick data reports" as the default. However, I am able to switch the option between Disable and Enable, with the expected results (with the SW error reported by Don).

When Quick Data Reports are Disabled, reported spam is added to the queue, but not processed just as reported. When Quick Data Reports are Enable the spam reported after the option was changed is processed and reports are received as before the SW update.

As reported earlier by Don, spam reported when the Quick Data Reports are Disabled just sit in the queue unprocessed no matter how the flag is set latter. For example:

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 22:54:19 -0400:

[Norton AntiSpam] Re: test VtAGGRmA

No reports filed

Which was reported with reports Disabled as a test. All other spam was processed without problem.

To avoid missunderstanding, I have a paid account, not spamcop email. This works for me, mileage may vary. :)

To avoid missunderstanding, I have a paid account, not spamcop email. This works for me, mileage may vary. :)
To maybe make it clearer;

The biggest problem is for SpamCop email users who do not have access to the option setting unless they make a specific request to Don to patch their account.

For everyone else the temporary fix is simple, just change the default setting back to sent the email reports.

But keep in mind, the option will probably not be there if you have not already been approved to use quick reporting.

All SpamCop email users are automaticly approved for quick reporting.

All SpamCop email users are automaticly approved for quick reporting.

??? Isn't it just that the use of one mode of submittals ends up being Quick-Reporting? (I'm wanting to say the VER thing) .. my point being in that the Quick-Reporting "flag" in the database has no connection to this mode of Reporting ..?????

??? Isn't it just that the use of one mode of submittals ends up being Quick-Reporting? (I'm wanting to say the VER thing) .. my point being in that the Quick-Reporting "flag" in the database has no connection to this mode of Reporting ..?????
Yes, they are two separate issues.

The new flag is a report only issue that comes into play only after the files are submitted.

The VER interface allows for multiple options for handling the mail in the HeldMail folder, including quick and full reporting.

The WebMail interface only provides for quick reporting using the link "Report spam"

If no messages are selected, it takes you to the normal reporting window for full reporting (cut and paste), but if messages are selected they are sent for quick reporting.

WebMail users do have the same option as anyother Reporting account users of forwarding mail to the "Submit to: address for full reporting.

In theory, new SpamCop email users are not permitted to use quick reporting until MailHosts are configured, but I have not been able to prove that statement.

The question still remains, is there any difference in how reports are handled when using the WebMail "Report spam" method; the VER Quick Reporting Method; and using the "quick" submit to message forwarding method.

I've emailed Don again, the option has disappeared from my Report Handling Options just as fast as it appeared.

It is gone here too. I saw a drop in reports earlier this morning, probably a roll back of the code to before this was introduced. Too early to say since we have no official word, however.

Early Friday evening, we were able to remove the code that caused all the trouble and revert everything to the way it was. Everybody should be back to normal now.

I'm really sorry about all the trouble. We haven't given up on the user option, but it's just not ready for prime time yet. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you can disable the "Quick data report" responses from the system if you want.

When it's ready, you'll see the option appear in the "Report Handling Options" section of your Preferences when you log into your account at http://www.spamcop.net/

- Don -

Early Friday evening, we were able to remove the code that caused all the trouble and revert everything to the way it was. Everybody should be back to normal now.

I'm really sorry about all the trouble. We haven't given up on the user option, but it's just not ready for prime time yet. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you can disable the "Quick data report" responses from the system if you want.

When it's ready, you'll see the option appear in the "Report Handling Options" section of your Preferences when you log into your account at http://www.spamcop.net/

- Don -

Thanks Don. It must have caused you a few headaches.

To close off the topic and keep the archive complete, I received the following email from Don

Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 07:23:53 -0600

To: dbiel

Subject: Re: Quick reporting problem

>I have created a forum wide announcement: <http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=announce&id=36>http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=announce&id=36

>It would sure be nice if someone would add a news entry on the email System News page so that when people log into WebMail they would be made aware of the problem.

You can take the announcement down. The problem has been fixed. I posted in the forums.

- Don -

I actually don't check my email very often, so the announcement was altered after reading Don's post in the forum long before ever seeing his email.

I also added an edit to Don's first post in this topic so people would not think that the option is still available and then be disappointed to find out that it is not.

Archived