Spamcop Down?

Paranoid2000

Attempting to submit spam gives the message:

Service Unavailable - Zero size object

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #15.828194d5.1161328122.26c20ec

No maintenance window is mentioned in the announcements so is there an outage? If so, any idea when it will be fixed?

Attempting to submit spam gives the message:

Service Unavailable - Zero size object

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #15.828194d5.1161328122.26c20ec

No maintenance window is mentioned in the announcements so is there an outage? If so, any idea when it will be fixed?

:( Yeah, me too. The usual "Welcome registered user" page appears when I browse to http://www.spamcop.net/ but if I try to submit spam I get that "Zero size object" message.

Notice the sudden dip in "reports sent" in the daily statistics, as shown by clicking the "Reporting server status" histogram at top right on this forum page.

It looks worse than that to me. Quick report (since 1800 PDT) reports "Database error submitting spam" for every message, and when I do an email submit it comes back "Cannot find spam mails in this message".

Looks like Spamcop is basically dead in the water.

It looks worse than that to me. Quick report (since 1800 PDT) reports "Database error submitting spam" for every message, and when I do an email submit it comes back "Cannot find spam mails in this message".

I am getting the identical messages. The 'database error' spams (from my held mail) have vanished completely.

Looks like Spamcop is basically dead in the water.

There are reports of particularly large volumes of spam moving around the Internet right now and that may have contributed to the problems. http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php

All reports sent appear to be failing just now so the best approach would be to delete all spam and not submit to the parser at the present time - not least since each failed submission generates a failure Email back to the reporter which rather defeats the object of spam filtering :-)

As for 'dead in the water...' No doubt the system will be resurrected soon.

Andrew

All reports sent appear to be failing just now so the best approach would be to delete all spam and not submit to the parser at the present time - not least since each failed submission generates a failure Email back to the reporter which rather defeats the object of spam filtering :-)

The problem Paranoid2000 and I are seeing is on web submissions -- these don't generate email bounces.

I wonder why the "spam Submitted" histogram is staying high, unlike "Reports Sent" which has been hugging the ground for about two hours by now?

I wonder why the "spam Submitted" histogram is staying high, unlike "Reports Sent" which has been hugging the ground for about two hours by now?

Details not available .... simply look at it that the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting system accepts e-mail ... and spammers have attempted to overwhelm it before .... what appears to have happened here is that the parsing/output side of the network has basically died .... as stated in my Annoucements here, e-mail has been dent to Don/Deputies .. but there are also supposed to be alarms going off in the IronPort facility to alert the working crew ... whether that includes folks that work on the SpamCop.net systems is another issue <g> It might take more than just a re-boot attempt to bring things back up and get them all talking again ....

The problem Paranoid2000 and I are seeing is on web submissions -- these don't generate email bounces.

Yes, true. But even so, best not to overload the system by submitting reports. There'll be plenty of spam to report once the system comes back online :)

Because spam is being identified. The failures are on the sending out of reports. You can, for example, quick report spam by Email. These messages are accepted but the reporting side is failing. In other words what goes in does not, at present, equal what then goes out :(

Andrew

Yes, true. But even so, best not to overload the system by submitting reports. There'll be plenty of spam to report once the system comes back online :)

When I see this kind of failure, and it's not going away after a couple of tries, I wait several minutes (or hours) before the next spam submittal ;-)

Because spam is being identified. The failures are on the sending out of reports. You can, for example, quick report spam by Email. These messages are accepted but the reporting side is failing. In other words what goes in does not, at present, equal what then goes out :(

You can submit by email. I can't, because my braindead ISP blocks outgoing mails which have spam in them, even as attachments.

I can't even get reporting to work in the SC Mail interface. I just get a reject message in my inbox "SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:.."

(from Spamcop Autoresponder) so I assume everything is overloaded right now.

I can't even get reporting to work in the SC Mail interface. I just get a reject message in my inbox "SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:.."

(from Spamcop Autoresponder) so I assume everything is overloaded right now.

???? not sure why the surprise .... the graphic/link at the top right shows status of the Reporting side of the house .... doesn't matter how you try to submit .. there's nothing working anywhere near correctly at present ... I just posted a bit ago (into the Announcements Forum) the last data from Ellen, who didn't learn of this until she got up this morning <g> .... "e-mail from ops" .. e-mail from me ... and I'll assume that there were some people that went beyond (or in lieu of) posting in the newsgrups and here, but that's just a guess ....

I reported a lot of spam messages in my Held folder and I just got a lot of failures (35 failures) with this message:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

The problem is that these messages had bodies. I haven't see a spam report yet. I'm not sure what to put in this message that would be helpful as there isn't any report link. There was one message that was written in Chinese. I wonder if that caused the problem.

I'm not sure if the problem is because of the heavy load or that something that I reported caused the failures of all of the succeeding messages.

It seems like all the messages that were reported had bodies, Here is one of the messages:

Moderator Edit: Entire spam sample deleted, post (and several replies) were merged into this existing Topic, as subject matter was a result of the Reporting system being hosed / off-line ...

Hmmm... Well apparently, all spam that I report is getting this kind of response. My guess is that it's probably a known problem (considering the increase in spam volume) and the administrators are probably trying to put out the fire.

Ahh.. Thanks Telarin.

???? not sure why the surprise .... the graphic/link at the top right shows status of the Reporting side of the house .... doesn't matter how you try to submit .. there's nothing working anywhere near correctly at present ... I just posted a bit ago (into the Announcements Forum) the last data from Ellen, who didn't learn of this until she got up this morning <g> .... "e-mail from ops" .. e-mail from me ... and I'll assume that there were some people that went beyond (or in lieu of) posting in the newsgrups and here, but that's just a guess ....

It appears to be back up...for now. It's slow, but it does appear to be back up.

Archived