Do I need seperate mailhost entries for each alias in my domain

I looked but didn't see anything that clearly explained my question. I own a domain. Within that domain I have a few dozen email aliases. Do I need to fill out a seperate mailhost entry for each alias that the spammers send to? I don't mind doing it, I just needed to make sure before I do so I don't needlessly clog up the database.

Thanks.

I looked but didn't see anything that clearly explained my question. I own a domain. Within that domain I have a few dozen email aliases. Do I need to fill out a seperate mailhost entry for each alias that the spammers send to? I don't mind doing it, I just needed to make sure before I do so I don't needlessly clog up the database.

Thanks.

This and many other mailhost questions have already been answered in our FAQ which is linked at the top of every page here (· SPAMCOP FAQ ·).

SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service section.

The specific entries you would want to check out:

How do I configure Mailhosts for SpamCop?

-----> Mailhost System Configuration Explanation

-----> MailHost Configuration Problems FAQ started

-----> Mailhosts Typical Questions A less technical version

-----> One version of a Step-by-step MailHost set-up

-----> "Sorry, confirmation codes do not match:" - Why?

This and many other mailhost questions have already been answered in our FAQ which is linked at the top of every page here (· SPAMCOP FAQ ·).

The specific entries you would want to check out:

-----> Mailhost System Configuration Explanation

-----> MailHost Configuration Problems FAQ started

-----> One version of a Step-by-step MailHost set-up

-----> "Sorry, confirmation codes do not match:" - Why?

Thanks. This did help some. I'm still confused, so please bear with me.

Like I said, I own a domain and have a few dozen aliases that all go to my one main address. I also have a couple of other external (to me) addresses that forward to my main address. So my understanding of the topology I should be using is as follows:

M == my Main address

A(i) == my various aliases on my own domain

E(j) j = 1..2 == my two external addresses that forward to M

A(1) A(2) A(3) ...A(N-2) A(N-1) A(N) E(1) E(2)

| | | | | | | |

--------------------+-----------------------------------

|

M

(I know this doesn't display right, but the idea is all the A's and all the E's sit onto of and feed into M.)

I have gone ahead and processed 6 of the A addrs and both of the E addrs after M. Now when I look at my mailhost config to add a new host, it doesn't show all of the addresses I set. It only shows hosts. It seems like it has seen enough of the local addresses. Can I assume this is ok?

Also, the display of the configuration allows me to select from a pulldown of alternate hostnames and/or ip addresses that are a part of the equation. Can I assume this is for display purposes and not for effecting changes in settings?

Note: it is not the email address that gets added to the mailhost list. It is the server used to receive/forward/send the mail that gets listed. So unless you have some strange DNS set up that handles each aliases differently, then the answer is no. You only have to set up one.

Thanks. This did help some. I'm still confused, so please bear with me.

From one of the FAQ entries listed above which directly answers your question:

Q: Do I have to register all the email addresses at my domain? i.e. webmaster at; info at, etc.

A: You only need to register one email address per host. SpamCop is only interested in the hosts that handle your email, not the email addresses.

Once you register a host, running the Mailhost utility for other addresses handled by that same host will replace the email address shown on the registration, but there won't be any other effect.

What has you confused about that? Please answer so we can fix the documentation for the next person.

I'm still wondering about the data I posted in MailHost Configuration problems ... this exact situation is addressed, very directly, by my words, R.W.'s words, etc., etc., etc.

SpamCop doesn't care about your email addresses or domains. The Mailhost system only wants to know about the hosts and servers that handle your incoming mail. You only need to register one email address per host to get that accomplished.

Sorry, but I'm at a loss as to how to make that much 'clearer' ...????

• 4 months later...

I had the same difficulty! I don't understand the technical stuff above, but I think I got the answer that I only have to register one address for each domain I use, not every address.

I have several domains hosted by the same ISP - it appears, from how Spamcop is reacting to my registrations, that I only need to register one of those domains. It's dumped successful registrations (I got the confirmation back for them) and left only one at each ISP.

I'm going to assume that's OK, and see what happens.

I have several domains hosted by the same ISP - it appears, from how Spamcop is reacting to my registrations, that I only need to register one of those domains. It's dumped successful registrations (I got the confirmation back for them) and left only one at each ISP.

I'm going to assume that's OK, and see what happens.

It has not actually "dumped" those registrations. It should have merged all the data together because the configurations are shared. Others, using the same ISP, will have the same settings (so some entries may not be recognized). It will change the entry to show the last address you used to configure it, replacing the previous entry.

Archived