[Resolved] Mail sent from WebMail not getting through?

Since last night (15th May), mail sent from "WebMail" doesn't appear to be getting delivered. Mail sent to the same addresses from other sources (eg hotmail) is arriving fine. Does anyone know if there is a problem with SpamCop's mail sending at present?

To clarify - this is a problem with SENDING mail, not receiving it!

Thanks,

Chris

Since last night? Only one post here .. nothing in the newsgroups either ... test just now from a webmail interface had e-mail delived 'instantly' to another account.

No, there is no problem seen from this side of the screen.

Hmmm. Strange. In the last couple of hours I've sent about a dozen test messages to my ISP account (the one that Spamcop picks up via POP3) from webmail. One of them has been delivered; the rest have just vanished into a black hole, it seems. I have a "whitelist" set on that account in Spamcop, and I've checked that they aren't in "Held Mail". There's no other spam filtering in the "loop", so it's not that. Over the same time period, message sent to that same account from Hotmail have all arrived.

I suppose it could be a problem specific to delivery to my ISP - I'll leave it and see if it sorts itself out.

Thanks,

Chris

Message-ID: <20070516022236.wg28c8ow8sw4okkg[at]webmail.spamcop.net>

Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 02:22:36 -0400

To: "chris"

Cc: "Wazoo" somewhere else

Subject: webmail test

Test e-mail sent via webmaul to the account seen in the Forum Registration field

.... no idea if this is the same 'problem' account or not .. you never left a

clue in the Forum posts ....

Delivered-To: "Wazoo" somewhere else

Message-ID: <20070516022236.wg28c8ow8sw4okkg[at]webmail.spamcop.net>

Received: from mx53.cesmail.net (mx53.cesmail.net [216.154.195.53])

by mx.google.com with ESMTP id n27si1851701pyh.2007.05.15.23.23.26;

Tue, 15 May 2007 23:23:27 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 02:22:36 -0400

To: "chris"

Cc: "Wazoo" somewhere else

Subject: webmail test

Test e-mail sent via webmaul to the account seen in the Forum Registration field

.... no idea if this is the same 'problem' account or not .. you never left a

clue in the Forum posts ....

From JT's servers to a GMail server, downloaded to OE 'here' in just a few seconds ...

If you didn't receive a copy ..... did I try the wrong address?

Thanks Wazoo - that worked OK. It's strange - it's an intermittent problem. Some

messages get through, others don't!

Could you let me know if this reply reaches you?

Nope, sorry ... haven't seen a thing <G> ....

Received via the same OE via an IMAP connetion ....

Though I will state that the Beta SMTP thing is still not working for me .... I have played with all kinds of configyration settings, but no go ... I will also state that if there is an issue at the servers, this is fallout of the discussion in the other Topic ... the setup I had working is sitting on multiple drives/partitions in the system with a (assumed thus far) fried CPU .... waiting for a replacement CPU just scored on eBay before going nuts on moving pieces of hardware all over the place.

Thanks for the help, Wazoo. It was working a couple of hours ago when you sent me that message, but for the last hour it's stopped again - messages just vanishing. Test messages sent to the same address from my work e-mail and Hotmail all are fine.

No big deal - I only send e-mail from Webmail once in a blue moon. Just wanted to report it as a potential problem. The problem could be with my ISP, but since it's ONLY messages from SC which are disappearing, it seems likely that the problem is at the SC end.

Thanks for the assistance. As I say, it's no big deal, just a minor annoyance.

Regards,

Chris

I just tested my account and had no problem sending to my work account.

Another member here is having problems with POP of one of his mail accounts, though he does not identify the domain. Could this be a POP problem rather than an outgoing one?

Wazoo, I setup the Beta SMTP yesterday on my backup computer and all my testing (primary and alternate ports) worked OK. Have not needed to send any real mail from there yet.

I've been having trouble with my sent mail via webmail since yesterday (May 15) morning. Not a single message of mine has gotten through.

I didn't report it - first I kept thinking it would resolve itself and second I couldn't remember my login name for the forum! I was happy to see this thread this morning and finally remembered the right user name!

I still am not getting mail out. Also, is there someway to get the mail I sent yesterday to go through? It's in my "sent mail" folder ...

Thanks!

Bobbi :(

Since it is working for some of us (me at least), perhaps it is certain providers. Can anyone with problems say which domains you were trying to send to?

Work: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1302432896ze...730f39279edf55z

GMail: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1302434439z3...16028da15d8481z

SpamCop: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1302434447z5...69dd04d14473c9z

Yahoo: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1302498797zf...01a38e188f8476z

With me, the problem messages are being sent to an account at "demon.co.uk". Those are the test messages to my ISP that I know aren't arriving. I've been sending a message about once an hour all day. About 1 in 3 has arrived; the others have vanished.

Another member here is having problems with POP of one of his mail accounts, though he does not identify the domain. Could this be a POP problem rather than an outgoing one?

I don't believe it is in my case. The POP server status page on webmail is showing zero errors for me, and I'm getting other messages from the account - just missing the ones I'm sending to it (or most of them, at least). Messages sent to that same account from other mail servers (eg Hotmail) are arriving 100% reliably. I'm pretty certain it's a problem at Spamcop's "sending" end.

Then have you contacted JT? support[at]spamcop.net

Not yet - I thought it best to ask here first. Now it appears that it may well be a real problem, I will do so immediately. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think there is a problem. A few minutes ago, I went into SC webmail and sent three test messages to various systems (addresses at a broadband provider, a small business with in-house email server, and at a web server in a large shared-hosting facility), and none of them have arrived (now it's been at least 10 minutes), so there's at least an abnormal delay in my case.

Time for us to email JT.

DT

Followup: the three test messages I sent were eventually transmitted by the SC server....almost 30 minutes after I clicked "Send," and the problem is internal to SC:

Received: from unknown (HELO gamma.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.20)

by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 16 May 2007 14:55:37 -0000

Received: (qmail 15825 invoked by uid 99); 16 May 2007 14:28:56 -0000

I already emailed JT and will send him this further evidence.

DT

Followup: the three test messages I sent were eventually transmitted by the SC server....almost 30 minutes after I clicked "Send," and the problem is internal to SC:

Received: from unknown (HELO gamma.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.20)

by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 16 May 2007 14:55:37 -0000

Received: (qmail 15825 invoked by uid 99); 16 May 2007 14:28:56 -0000

Looks like it's been sorted. MOTD on Webmail:

[10:48 EDT] The mail server that failed over the weekend has been replaced and incoming mail has been back to normal since yesterday. However, connected to all of this, the mail queue on one of the webmail servers was shut down. That server queued outbound mail without sending it out. That has been fixed and all of that mail is currently being delivered.

and I am indeed starting to get the mail that was delayed.

Phew - thought I was imagining it! Thanks, JT!

If you look at the 4 links I posted earlier, all of my messages left the cesmail servers within a second from webmail receiving it from me.

Edit: Strange that all of my testing used the working server yet others were regularly hitting the one that was down.

Archived