[Resolved] Attachment stripping

I'm traveling, and for the duration, I'm using Spamcop to store my e-mail. This isn't tough. I connect using Thunderbird (w/ IMAP) and the web-mail interface.

I had to review all my e-mails with attachments, invoices specifically. When I reviewed my stored e-mail, I found almost every attachment had been replaced with a text file containing "attachment stripped".

A review of my spamcop options showed I had not elected to delete attachments.

Using the interface from webmail, I submitted a ticket. (actually 3 -- my bad) The responses have not addressed the issue.

1) check your options

Did. I didn't choose to delete my attachments.

2) Check your client's options

Did. There isn't an option to delete server side attachments. And frankly, I know of no e-mail client that would do this.

Is this Spamcop's means of managing disk usage? Are other customers OK with this? (because I am not)

Any clarification anyone can bring would be appreciated.

1) check your options

Did. I didn't choose to delete my attachments.

I tried to find the option to delete my attachments and could not do so. What is the path to that selection? Are you using Mobile Web Mail?

I tried to find the option to delete my attachments and could not do so. What is the path to that selection?

All I can find;

Options | Message Options | Message Viewing

--> Show an icon to allow stripping of attachments from messages?

However, like you, I can find nothing that seems to ba an "automatic" setting.

And of course, I have no attachments showing at all to compare the issue.

Other data not provided;

File size

file type

any scripting involved

Is this Spamcop's means of managing disk usage? Are other customers OK with this? (because I am not)

No, this is not a way of managing disk space. Yours is the first and only complaint at this time on this issue. As your tickets would have been answered by one of the two folks involved with running and maintaining the e-mail system, it sure doesn't sound like either of them are aware of a system type problem.

I've been using SpamCop's webmail for years and have never lost an attachment as you have described. I can click on the "Trash Can" icon next to an attachment's name and strip the attachment on purpose, but it never happens accidentally or automatically.

Are these emails being sent directly to your SpamCop address? Or are they perhaps being forwarded or POPed from another system? If the latter, then the problem surely lies with the other system. If the former, and if you are sending the messages to your own SpamCop address, but using your local ISP's services to do so, then the explanation is most likely that your ISP is doing the stripping.

We all receive messages with attachments all the time and have never seen this, so it's not logical to assume that there's anything wrong with the SpamCop email system itself. Possible, yes, but not likely.

DT

I'm supposing there's no association but for the record, there's a veritable blizzard of trojans being sent out as at the moment (for past week or so, intensifying). These are in zipped attachments, posing as invoices, e-tickets, customs declarations, contracts, whatever, so far with VirusTotal scores of 10/36 and above (thus 'recognizable' as malware). Names, virus types and sizes are variable but they're usually 18 kb - 50 kb zipped. Occasionally some of these resemble expected communications though the 'language' is too unprofessional to be really convincing to anyone paying attention.

My provider (not SC) if perfectly happy to let these in but invariably stops them if I try to report them (send them out). My provider's practice (ignorant, snivelling weasel) is to silently drop the things - others might strip and forward, that used to be pretty much the 'standard'.

A few notes.

1) Mystery revealed

When I went on the road, I started using the web client. The web client has two nifty features. The first option is Save a copy in "sent-mail". This is up top, and I always make sure it's set to Yes.

The second option is Save Attachments with message in sent-mail folder?. This is the demon *feature* plaguing my life.

2) Option to delete attachments

Follow this path after you've logged in:

Options/ General Options/ Login Tasks

Here you find options to delete attachments.

3) When is Saving a copy not saving a copy

You must elect to save a copy of your sent mail *AND* you must elect to save the attachments as well.

In Options/ Message Composition, look for the following option:

When saving sent-mail, should we save attachment data?

Turn this to Always save attachments.

... And press the save options button.

So when I changed to using the web client, I got a kinda copy of my e-mails saved off. This feature was lost on me.

So I appear to have been in the wrong.

...3) When is Saving a copy not saving a copy

You must elect to save a copy of your sent mail *AND* you must elect to save the attachments as well.

In Options/ Message Composition, look for the following option:

When saving sent-mail, should we save attachment data?

Turn this to Always save attachments.

... And press the save options button.

So when I changed to using the web client, I got a kinda copy of my e-mails saved off. This feature was lost on me. ...

Well spotted, a useful piece of detective work.

All I can find;

Options | Message Options | Message Viewing

--> Show an icon to allow stripping of attachments from messages?

However, like you, I can find nothing that seems to ba an "automatic" setting.

And of course, I have no attachments showing at all to compare the issue.

Other data not provided;

File size

file type

any scripting involved

I attached HTML docs of 3-7kb in size. Scripting wasn't an issue.

No, this is not a way of managing disk space. Yours is the first and only complaint at this time on this issue. As your tickets would have been answered by one of the two folks involved with running and maintaining the e-mail system, it sure doesn't sound like either of them are aware of a system type problem.

After creating a case via the interface for entering mail, I waited weeks with 2 insubstantial responses. I post here, and I got a good reply in hours. (THANK YOU TREVOR)

So I'll see your "first and only complaint" with a raise you with a "waited for weeks to find out why my attachments are gone" and "all my invoices were GONE". That's not quite a royal flush of righeous indignation. I'll call it a full house.

Regardless, I still recommend spamcop. Thanks all.

I attached HTML docs of 3-7kb in size. Scripting wasn't an issue.

You made no notice of yout issue being with generated/outgoing e-mail. In general, complaints raised here are more typically about 'incoming' e-mail. So, sure, I'll admit to making an assumption and focused only on the 'incoming' side of the system.

After creating a case via the interface for entering mail, I waited weeks with 2 insubstantial responses. I post here, and I got a good reply in hours. (THANK YOU TREVOR)

Simply noting that Trevor would be one of the two folks I suggested in a previous post.

So I'll see your "first and only complaint" with a raise you with a "waited for weeks to find out why my attachments are gone" and "all my invoices were GONE". That's not quite a royal flush of righeous indignation. I'll call it a full house.

????? I believe you are micing yp the environments of folks with access to the the hardware/software involved as compared to all the volunteers that tried to help 'here' .. noting that Trevor did not make a public post here, apparently he e-mail'd you directly ???? The point being, your Topic here remains the first and only reference to this issue as far as the volunteer folks trying to provide support goes. That you didn't fully describe your issue as being with the outgoing also allowed those that did try to help to go a bit astray.

Glad you are happy with a found solution.

Archived