Account Pickup By SC

OK, I know this sounds crazy but SC is accessing user accounts that are not listed on my on my external POP server list. I have many user accounts from all over the country, I am now getting some of their email that has been picked up by fetchmail (SC) from my server. The users address is correct and there is no indication of any of my currently configured POP acounts (on spamcop) in the address headers. I can send the header info to anyone who could help me out on this. Thanks for you help...

Current # of reports 70,804

OK, I know this sounds crazy but SC is accessing user accounts that are not listed on my on my external POP server list.  I have many user accounts from all over the country, I am now getting some of their email that has been picked up by fetchmail (SC) from my server.  The users address is correct and there is no indication of any of my currently configured POP acounts (on spamcop) in the address headers.  I can send the header info to anyone who could help me out on this. Thanks for you help...

22024[/snapback]

Hi navybuff!

I just read your post and didn't really understand what you are experiencing. If I didn't follow then perhaps others will not either. Could you explain you set up, what you believe should be happening and then re-state what is actually happening so that I can get my tired brain working :huh:

Andrew

The users address is correct and there is no indication of any of my currently configured POP acounts (on spamcop) in the address headers.  I can send the header info to anyone who could help me out on this.

One possible explanation is that the messages were addressed "To" one of your other addresses, but that they were "BCC'd" to an address that gets popped by SpamCop. You didn't mention if the messages were spam or not. Spammers use BCC all the time.

DT

Hi navybuff!

I just read your post and didn't really understand what you are experiencing.  If I didn't follow then perhaps others will not either.  Could you explain you set up, what you believe should be happening and then re-state what is actually happening so that I can get my tired brain working  :huh:

Andrew

22025[/snapback]

I have 23 accounts on my mail server; SC has FETCHED accounts that are not listed on my OPTIONS/POP SERVER Config [at] SC. In fact, I doubt that I was BCCed because the last email in question was from a vendor confirming an order to one of my account holders, the vendor would have no idea I existed. It was picked up via SC FETCHMAIL from my server and processed at SC and forwarded to my SC account, it was not spam. The behavior is exactly like my POP configured accounts. I first thought that the email address was misspelled and that maybe it was picked up on my servers default account for unknown recipients, but that account is not in the SC POP configuration either. In the headers, there is no mention of any email addresses that matches my existing SC POP configuration. This is confusing at best here, hope this helps. Thanks Guys

Current # of reported spam 70886

Are some of those accounts just an alias to the account Spamcop is popping?  The same usercode/passwords retrieves those emails?

22038[/snapback]

Merlyn,

Not sure about the Passwords, I have no idea what the account holders PW is and there are no Alias's assigned on my mail server, the username is unique of course....

The real issue is how did an email from a user on my server whos account is NOT configured in SC POP config end up in my SC account? Good one huh?

Current # of reported spam 70890

Then I would have to also go with the BCC theory. :D

22041[/snapback]

How would a vender know my address, I have never heard or done business with this vender, in fact I have never heard of them....

I suspect that I may have a configuration problem with the email server and this may be just the tip of the iceberg...

Thanks

Systems Analyst mode.

You say 23 accounts from all over the country .... not sure where this actually applies.

You say SpamCop fetches mail from your server .. OK

You say SpamCop fetches mail that isn't yours ... hmmmm

You discount the BCC: and state that there is no previous connection to the e-mail sender ...

Generic e-mail server:

collects incoming e-mail to a system Folder . call it "mbox"

processes contents of "mbox" and distributes the e-mails among the 23 account folders, including "YourInBox"

The SpamCop server would normally be configured to retrieve contents of "YourInBox" .. process those e-mails and distribute to your "SCInBox"

At this point, what do your logs say? Is SpamCop accessing "YourInBox" or "mbox"

If "mbox" ..something wrong in your settings at SpamCop.

If "YourInBox" ... how are "other people's" e-mails getting into "your" Folder? Any of these other 20+ users talking about "missing" e-mails?

I could be way off, just my interpretation of what I believe I'm reading <g>

Also, if this is happening often, perhaps turning off the spamcop pickup for a while will let you see if the messages are actually being delivered to your inbox and spamcop is doing what it is supposed to or not. Another way would be to use the leave on server for a while until the next one arrives and then you will be able to see if the message was indeed in your inbox or not.

StevenUnderwood's suggestion to change your POP settings to leave the message on the server is an excellent one for debugging and tracking exactly what is happening.

Another thing to check is are any of the messages being forwarded to your SpamCop account. A quick check of the headers should answer that question.

You may also want to try POPing the varrious accounts individually from your local client or even a totally separate machine and see what messages are retreived from which accounts (be sure to set "leave messages on server" on to allow for normal processing.)

Systems Analyst mode.

You say 23 accounts from all over the country .... not sure where this actually applies.

You say SpamCop fetches mail from your server .. OK

You discount the BCC: and state that there is no previous connection to the e-mail sender ...

Generic e-mail server:

processes contents of "mbox" and distributes the e-mails among the 23 account folders, including "YourInBox"

The SpamCop server would normally be configured to retrieve contents of "YourInBox" .. process those e-mails and distribute to your "SCInBox"

At this point, what do your logs say?  Is SpamCop accessing "YourInBox" or "mbox"

If "mbox" ..something wrong in your settings at SpamCop.

If "YourInBox" ... how are "other people's" e-mails getting into "your" Folder?  Any of these other 20+ users talking about "missing" e-mails?

I could be way off, just my interpretation of what I believe I'm reading <g>

22066[/snapback]

Ok, your right, it does not have anything to do with the price of tea in China, I just mentioned it to indicate that I run a web site and issue email accounts to a few people, ie my email accounts are not the only email accounts on the server. Sorry for the confusion. In my defense, when you are confused yourself, it seems to be easy to confuse others, and man is my head spinning on this one, I bet you couldn't tell :unsure:

Yep, this is exactly what I am saying. There is no way I was BCCed on these emails, as I stated above, they were purchase confirmations between one of my site account holder and a Ecommerce company. But like Jeff suggested above there is no way to truely track it.

Generic e-mail server:

processes contents of "mbox" and distributes....snip

This is beautiful, I learned more from this about how this server works than 10 hours of scanning message boards, thanks. I do not know how many emails that were NOT mine and have been caught by the SC filters and "held/reported", I do not look at who they were sent to, I just assumed that they were mine. I am pretty confident that it is not my "inbox". I would have never known this except for the email that made it through the filters and was forwarded to my SC account for pickup. I will do what has been suggested here and leave the mail on the server for a while and see what happens. Thanks to all who have responded here.

Navy Buff

Current # of reported spam 70982

Ok, your right, it does not have anything to do ~snip~

Current # of reported spam 70982

22092[/snapback]

OK, as a followup, I have deleted the accounts in question and that were being fetched by SC. I reinsatlled them with new PW's and it is still happening. I sent a copy of the headers to Jeff. Hope he posts what he finds.. Thanks to everyone who responded...

Current # of reported spam 71662

Archived