Pop Email or forward to SC??

Ex_Brit

My present settings are SC pops my mail from my ISP Webmail, then my email client here pops from SC to my Inbox.

Is it better to set my ISP's webmail to forward to my SC email addy inbox instead? (Keeping the pop to inbox as is.) :blink:

In addition, the POPgate process requires spamcop's resources to look for the messages, even if none are available. The forward will use your ISP's resources to send only when there is a message to send.

Another plus is that IF you have trouble reaching spamcop for some reason, YOU can turn off the forwarding and still receive your mesages (sans spam filter).

In addition, the POPgate process requires spamcop's resources to look for the messages, even if none are available.  The forward will use your ISP's resources to send only when there is a message to send.

Another plus is that IF you have trouble reaching spamcop for some reason, YOU can turn off the forwarding and still receive your mesages (sans spam filter).

17861[/snapback]

I've set all 5 of my email addresses to forward rather than wait for SC to pop. Took me ages..my ISP's site is the slowest in the entire universe.

There's no danger of SC confusing itself doing that I assume..I mean reading the forwarded emails as against the popped mails.

I've set all 5 of my email addresses to forward rather than wait for SC to pop.  Took me ages..my ISP's site is the slowest in the entire universe.

There's no danger of SC confusing itself doing that I assume..I mean reading the forwarded emails as against the popped mails.

17919[/snapback]

There is no problem at all on the SpamCop side.

Hopefully you also turned off POPing from within the SpamCop setup window.

But even if you did not, it will still work ok, just puts more burden on the system than is necessary.

When messages are forwared to your SpamCop address they are handled as if they were original messages addressed to your SpamCop address.

POPing is simply another way to retreive messages for other email sites.

POPing and forwarding function totally independant of each other.

But if forwarding is turned on, POPing will serve no purpose as there will never be any messages to POP.

If you are also reporting spam, you should make a point to setup MailHosts to prevent accidental reporting of your own ISPs. This is even more important if there are multiple layers of forwarding involved.

There is no problem at all on the SpamCop side.

Hopefully you also turned off POPing from within the SpamCop setup window.

But even if you did not, it will still work ok, just puts more burden on the system than is necessary.

When messages are forwared to your SpamCop address they are handled as if they were original messages addressed to your SpamCop address.

POPing is simply another way to retreive messages for other email sites.

POPing and forwarding function totally independant of each other.

But if forwarding is turned on, POPing will serve no purpose as there will never be any messages to POP.

If you are also reporting spam, you should make a point to setup MailHosts to prevent accidental reporting of your own ISPs.  This is even more important if there are multiple layers of forwarding involved.

17935[/snapback]

I turned off the POP function in SC Mail/Options/Spamcop Tools. If anything I seem to receive my mail a lot quicker now.

Thanks for the help.

I turned off the POP function in SC Mail/Options/Spamcop Tools.  If anything I seem to receive my mail a lot quicker now.

Thanks for the help.

18038[/snapback]

Yes it probably is faster as popping is done periodically and presumably when mail is forwarded, the forwarding server does that in, more or less, real time.

My present settings are SC pops my mail from my ISP Webmail, then my email client here pops from SC to my Inbox.

Is it better to set my ISP's webmail to forward to my SC email addy inbox instead? (Keeping the pop to inbox as is.) :blink:

17857[/snapback]

I prefer to pop...

My ISP gets on the blacklist from time to time. (About once a month, only by "error", usually not longer than 24 hours.) - But when I forwarded my mails to SC everything got held because of the (outgoing) IP of my ISP...

(I still wait for the "personal non-blacklist" of IP's which should never be the reason to block my mails...)

Lukas

I prefer to pop...

My ISP gets on the blacklist from time to time. (About once a month, only by "error", usually not longer than 24 hours.) - But when I forwarded my mails to SC everything got held because of the (outgoing) IP of my ISP...

(I still wait for the "personal non-blacklist" of IP's which should never be the reason to block my mails...)

Lukas

18265[/snapback]

What are you talking about?

If you are talking about the SpamCop Email Service, the term blocking is totally incorrect. Nothing is ever blocked.

The only advantage (if you can call it an advantage) of POPing you ISP from SpamCop instead of forwarding to SpamCop is the ability to leave a copy of the message on your original ISP's server.

I'm guessing that it's that incoming e-mail is moved to the Held Folder vice remaining in the InBox based on the IP of the Forwarding server finding its way on the / a BL .... but noting that this seems to also invoke some assumptions that all e-mail forwarded is "good" ...????

I'm guessing that it's that incoming e-mail is moved to the Held Folder vice remaining in the InBox based on the IP of the Forwarding server finding its way on the / a BL .... but noting that this seems to also invoke some assumptions that all e-mail forwarded is "good" ...????

18280[/snapback]

Correct. (I confused the terms "blocking" and "move to the Held Folder"...)

When the IP of my ISP is blacklisted all incoming e-mail is moved to the Held Folder based on the forwarding IP.

Not all the forwarded e-mail is "good", but I want Spamcop to filter my e-mails (which it does quite successfully...)

In this filtering process Spamcop should just ignore the forwarding IP:

If the header contains another blacklisted IP it's (probably) "bad" and should be held. Otherwise it's (probably) "good"...

As long as this feature is not available there is another advantage of pop vs. forwarding: This does not add my ISP's IP to the mail header. (And does not move my "good" e-mail to the Held Folder...)

I hope this was clear now...

:)

Lukas

Archived