Yahoo! Mailservers Blocklisted

Jeff S

1)SpamCop doesn't block Yahoo, but the spammers acts put Yahoo groups on a whitelist.

I think you meant blacklist there instead of whitelist.

2) The ISP has to whitelist Yahoogroups (unfortunately for me, they claim that they don't use SpamCop, they claim that Spamcop acts independently- I think I will have to have a talk with them)

Correct, spamcop simply maintains a list of spammy mail servers, there is no way for them to touch your mail. Any filtering using the SCBL is done by the receiving ISP.

3) It is really Yahoo's responsibility to limit spammers ability to use them to send spam. But we have to be realistic, they provide the service for free, and it is close to impossible to get a real person at yahoo, unless we start a whole grassroots campaign, we won't budge them.

Correct

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got off the phone with my ISP. They insist that I am not subscribed to any "spam blocking service" and they do not block any mail to me. They said the remote host refered to in the message (see bellow) is NOT them. They claim it is Yahoo! They said Yahoo has blacklisted them and they are trying to fight it (!). WHat do I do now? Try to track down someone at Yahoo?

Last Bounced Message

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Blacklisted: http://www.spamcop.net: silverbd[at]012.net.il

[RCPT_TO]

I just got off the phone with my ISP. They insist that I am not subscribed to any "spam blocking service" and they do not block any mail to me. They said the remote host refered to in the message (see bellow) is NOT them. They claim it is Yahoo! They said Yahoo has blacklisted them and they are trying to fight it (!). WHat do I do now? Try to track down someone at Yahoo?

Last Bounced Message

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Blacklisted: http://www.spamcop.net: silverbd[at]012.net.il

[RCPT_TO]

Hi, Brigitte

...It would certainly be a good idea to contact whomever is the source of that bounce message. It is meaningless, especially if it truly means that they are using the SpamCop blacklist. The only way it can have any value is if they include the IP address that is the source of the e-mail which is the criterion for the block. "Official" SpamCop FAQ entry "How do I configure my mailserver to reject mail based on the blocklist?" provides a suggestion on how the bounce should look. Thanks! :) <g>

Last Bounced Message

[RCPT_TO]

I don't quite know how yahoo groups work. But if your ISP is correct, then the emails from your group are going through yahoo and yahoo won't send them because yahoo has 'blacklisted' your ISP.

OTOH, if your ISP is using the spamcop blocklist, then emails to you from others in the group will be returned to the sender with a message similar to the one you posted.

It would really help to know who got that rejection message as well as the full message.

It is really Yahoo's responsibility to limit spammers ability to use them to send spam. But we have to be realistic, they provide the service for free, and it is close to impossible to get a real person at yahoo, unless we start a whole grassroots campaign, we won't budge them.

You would think that someone in a yahoo group would start that grassroots campaign, wouldn't you? Even if it is free, would people support a free service that was not a good citizen - like offering to open mail for you and then dumping all the envelopes on the street? I can't think of a better example at the moment, but there must be one.

Miss Betsy

I don't have spamcop, but apparently my ISP does. It's bouncing messages from any one of my yahoo groups. Is there a why I can convince my ISP Not to use spamcop on my email accounts.?

eGIX is my ISP. I don't like having my mail filtered without my permission.

GaryR

Moderator Edit: pulled this 'new' Topic out of the Lounge area and merged it into this existing monster (noting that this is not the only Yahoo blocked discussion in existence, just the most recently used as the placement of all the recent traffic on the same issue) PM sent to advise of the Move/Merge action.

I don't have spamcop, but apparently my ISP does. It's bouncing messages from any one of my yahoo groups. Is there a why I can convince my ISP Not to use spamcop on my email accounts.?

You would need to contact your ISP about that. See if they have a whitelist available. They may also want to charge you more for the extra messages they need to accept because of that setting, though it is not likely.

In that case, since virtually all ISPs have to filter to some extent, your only solution is to set up your own email server. Then you have (almost) exclusive control over your email filtering - and will doubtless soon gain an appreciation of the real scale of the spam problem, including the difficulties caused by irresponsible administrators like Yahoo.

My ISP "claims" they have no control over what spamcop filters out. I'm now looking for an ISP that doesn't use spamcop. I find it very interesting that Yahoo accounts are the ONLY ones blocked. All other spam gets through. Based on that alone, I'd NEVER use spamcop. I don't like for spamcop or anybody else telling what I can or can't read. Somebody needs to do something about spamcop's discrimnation of Yahoo. I don't think there is any question, the facts speak for themselves.

GaryR

Clearly you haven't read any of this discussion. The fact is, spamcop treats Yahoo! exactly the same as any other mailserver, when they reach a certain percentage of spam, they go on the list, when the spam stops, they come off the list. This is exactly the opposite of discrimination, which would involve spamcop somehow treating them differently than any other ISP, which they don't.

Yahoo!'s problem is that they refuse to deal with a number of problems with their service that cause them to be listed. The most notable is their "new address notification" feature, which spammers abuse to send large amounts of spam.

My ISP "claims" they have no control over what spamcop filters out. I'm now looking for an ISP that doesn't use spamcop. I find it very interesting that Yahoo accounts are the ONLY ones blocked.

<snip>

...SpamCop doesn't filter anything, except spam that is directed to SpamCop e-mail users. Some ISPs and e-mail providers who receive e-mail from IP addresses listed in the SpamCop list do filter, sort or block. Their resources, their right (although SpamCop, itself, recommends its list not be used to block).

I'm a member of several Yahoo Groups and every few days of so I have to reactive my email address. That email address is one of the ones I use in conjunction with SpamCop to report spam. I'm very careful to report only spam and not valid Yahoo Groups methods and all the groups I'm a member of are small, dedicated approval-to-join required groups (such as the email list for my homeschooling support group).

Everytime I reactivate my Yahoo Groups account and check why my messages were bouncing, I get the same message:

Last Bounced Message

Remote host said: 550 http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.163.187.112 : [RCPT_TO]

I emailed Yahoo Groups and got a canned reply saying that it's a problem with spamcop and to take it up with spamcop. I'd really like to keep using spamcop's reporting service, but I also need to get my Yahoo Groups email (today I missed out on finding out an activity was cancelled because I didn't know my Yahoo account was blocked yet again). Is there any way to get Yahoo Groups and Spamcop to work together?

Thanks,

Sue

Moderator Edit: Merged this "new" Topic placed into the Reportong Help forum section into this current "Yahoo Blocked" massive discussion in the Blocking List Forum section ..... PM sent to advise of this Move/Merge.

dedicated approval-to-join required groups (such as the email list for my homeschooling support group).

Everytime I reactivate my Yahoo Groups account and check why my messages were bouncing, I get the same message:

Last Bounced Message

Remote host said: 550 http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.163.187.112 : [RCPT_TO]

I emailed Yahoo Groups and got a canned reply saying that it's a problem with spamcop and to take it up with spamcop. I'd really like to keep using spamcop's reporting service, but I also need to get my Yahoo Groups email (today I missed out on finding out an activity was cancelled because I didn't know my Yahoo account was blocked yet again). Is there any way to get Yahoo Groups and Spamcop to work together?

Yahoo conceal the IP where spam comes from and either do nothing or are slow to react in stopping spam source66.163.187.112 is one of Yahoo's email servers. Listed because they hide the IP source of the spam

With SpamCop it identifies the last "link" of IP's if an email server is rogue/misconfigured it will not stamp the IP of where the email came from meaning that rogue email servers can end up on the SCBL

When using blocklists they should never bounce email but sort it to a held email folder for checking, if OK then whitelisting

Most people mindlessly accept the email account their provider forces on one!

If email is important, one should seek out a competent email provider

My ISP "claims" they have no control over what spamcop filters out. I'm now looking for an ISP that doesn't use spamcop. I find it very interesting that Yahoo accounts are the ONLY ones blocked. All other spam gets through. Based on that alone, I'd NEVER use spamcop. I don't like for spamcop or anybody else telling what I can or can't read. Somebody needs to do something about spamcop's discrimnation of Yahoo. I don't think there is any question, the facts speak for themselves.

the spamcop blocklist is designed to be used to 'tag' spam. How your ISP uses it is up to them and whether you want to use an ISP that doesn't use a combination of blocklists to filter spam is up to you.

However, there is no discrimination against yahoo. yahoo cares nothing about what other people on the internet get because of their lack of responsibility.

When you get your facts straight, then you can use them to support your decision on what ISP to use. I would prefer to have emails rejected at the server than to have them disappear into my bulk mail folder or be dropped. It's your choice, but remember caveat emptor.

Miss Betsy

... I find it very interesting that Yahoo accounts are the ONLY ones blocked. All other spam gets through. ... I don't think there is any question, the facts speak for themselves.
Hopefully, given the earlier responses, the error of this logic is now apparent? If you don't know what filtering your ISP is doing (and most use more than just SpamCop) you can't possibly know how much spam *doesn't* reach you therefore you can draw no conclusions from what *does* reach you (other than your ISP's combined filters leak, but then most do). Maybe there's a coterie of spammers using Yahoo for Yahoo users but you will generally find Yahoo is a comparatively minor source of spam and are comparatively lightly blocked as a consequence. Looking at some actual facts - http://www.senderbase.org/ shows Yahoo is/are (at this instant) the 9th largest source of all messages (in a fairly large sampling). http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=hoshame#domsum shows they rate *nowhere* in the top 64 (as currently enumerated) of domains blocked by SCBL users. That's hardly discriminating against Yahoo then, is it? Discrimination might be if the ranking in the SCBL was *higher* than the overall message ranking. It is not higher, it is so far down it doesn't even register on the SCBL stats "radar".

Another point is, no matter how hard your ISP protests, there are just two reasons to use the SCBL in rejection/drop mode as opposed to diversion:

1. Ignorance (using the tool without heeding its purpose)

2. Economy (blocking is cheaper than doing anything else)

Another point is, no matter how hard your ISP protests, there are just two reasons to use the SCBL in rejection/drop mode as opposed to diversion:

1. Ignorance (using the tool without heeding its purpose)

2. Economy (blocking is cheaper than doing anything else)

Well there is a third, as Miss Betsy has pointed out - that of giving the sender immediate notification of rejection and leaving them to resolve it rather than diverting email into the recipients spam/bulk folder. The latter method means the recipient has the burden of checking this folder and it is fairer that the sender should instead have to bear the cost of using a spammy ISP.

Well there is a third, as Miss Betsy has pointed out - that of giving the sender immediate notification of rejection and leaving them to resolve it rather than diverting email into the recipients spam/bulk folder. The latter method means the recipient has the burden of checking this folder and it is fairer that the sender should instead have to bear the cost of using a spammy ISP.
Truth - I would class that as "economy" for the ISP but point taken economy may not be the motive.

Yahoo conceal the IP where spam comes from and either do nothing or are slow to react in stopping spam source66.163.187.112 is one of Yahoo's email servers. Listed because they hide the IP source of the spam

With SpamCop it identifies the last "link" of IP's if an email server is rogue/misconfigured it will not stamp the IP of where the email came from meaning that rogue email servers can end up on the SCBL

When using blocklists they should never bounce email but sort it to a held email folder for checking, if OK then whitelisting

Most people mindlessly accept the email account their provider forces on one!

If email is important, one should seek out a competent email provider

So you're saying that it's not Yahoo or Spamcop causing the problem? Okay, so who do I go to next? We have an ISP but it's not the ISP's domain that I'm using for email. We have our own domain which is hosted by somewhere. If I'm reading this correctly, I need to find out where that somewhere is? The last time we tried tracking it down (a year or so ago), they weren't using Spamcop. So, I stopped reporting spam to spamcop and the problem with bounced messages went away. Once I started using Spamcop's reporting service again, the Yahoo Groups mail started bouncing again. Is that just a coincidence?

Just in case someone wanders in here, my Yahoo Groups account keeps getting deactivated with this message:

Last Bounced Message

Thanks,

Sue

So you're saying that it's not Yahoo or Spamcop causing the problem? Okay, so who do I go to next?

I'm confused .. the default display setting for Topic view results in 14 pages worth of postings in this specific Topic. Yet, you make a statement/query such as this? Yes, the problem is with Yahoo's management of the crap that leaves their servers. I have no idea how this fact could have been missed, other than the majority of the data in this Topic was not actually looked at.

We have an ISP but it's not the ISP's domain that I'm using for email. We have our own domain which is hosted by somewhere. If I'm reading this correctly, I need to find out where that somewhere is?

??? Are you sending these folks any money? It sure seems like you'd want to know who's getting rich based on your funding ...??? If some data was provided, there are folks here that do know how to research things (note some of the posts in the previous 13+ pages in this Topic alone)

The last time we tried tracking it down (a year or so ago), they weren't using Spamcop. So, I stopped reporting spam to spamcop and the problem with bounced messages went away. Once I started using Spamcop's reporting service again, the Yahoo Groups mail started bouncing again. Is that just a coincidence?

Sounds like a total misunderstanding of what reporting is and does, what the expected / intended results from reporting are, and even just how you yourself could use some of the tools and data made availble from the efforts of your own reporting. But, that's what the SpamCop FAQ 'here' is for .... With no data to support the allegation, who lnows if there's a coincidence? One could say that with you reporting, a SpamCopDNSBL listing being generated, there could be the issue that you are doing som ebad reporting, selecting the wrong targets for those reports, and managing to do this stuff all by yourself. But one person would have to do a massive amount of reporting to be able to add to someone else's reports and manage to tip the scales on a Yahoo output server .. as they handle massive amunts of e-mail .. so the likelyhood of the above probably isn't valid.

Just in case someone wanders in here, my Yahoo Groups account keeps getting deactivated with this message:

Last Bounced Message

and did you follow that link which then takes you to http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&...=66.163.187.112 ????

66.163.187.112 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 22 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

So we have the (normal for Yahoo servers) combination of spamtrap hits and user complaints.

And note all the other Yahoo output servers that are passing traffic that has caused complaints / spamtrap hits;

Listing History

In the past 125.6 days, it has been listed 43 times for a total of 75.7 days

Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports

66.163.187.102 66.163.187.103 66.163.187.104 66.163.187.105 66.163.187.106 66.163.187.107 66.163.187.108 66.163.187.110 66.163.187.111 66.163.187.113 66.163.187.116 66.163.187.117 66.163.187.118 66.163.187.119 66.163.187.127 66.163.187.148 66.163.187.149 66.163.187.150 66.163.187.151 66.163.187.152 66.163.187.153 66.163.187.154 66.163.187.155 66.163.187.156 66.163.187.157 66.163.187.158 66.163.187.159 66.163.187.160 66.163.187.161 66.163.187.162 66.163.187.163 66.163.187.164 66.163.187.165 66.163.187.166 66.163.187.167 66.163.187.171 66.163.187.172 66.163.187.173 66.163.187.174 66.163.187.175 66.163.187.176 66.163.187.177 66.163.187.178 66.163.187.179 66.163.187.180 66.163.187.181 66.163.187.182 66.163.187.183 66.163.187.184 66.163.187.185 66.163.187.186 66.163.187.187 66.163.187.188 66.163.187.189 66.163.187.190 66.163.187.191 66.163.187.195 66.163.187.196 66.163.187.197 66.163.187.198 66.163.187.199 66.163.187.200 66.163.187.201 66.163.187.202 66.163.187.203 66.163.187.204 66.163.187.205 66.163.187.206 66.163.187.207 66.163.187.208 66.163.187.209 66.163.187.210 66.163.187.211 66.163.187.212 66.163.187.213 66.163.187.214 66.163.187.215

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...=66.163.187.112 shows 7,085 'known' Yahoo output e-mail srervers ... your outgoing e-mail uses one of these, rarely the same one for every e-mail you send .... your 'issue' involves the outgoing e-mail leaving from a server that is listed at the time and being received at an ISP that has chosen to use the SpamCopDNSBL data in a blocking fashion ...

A sample of the stuff that other (in your case, your [e-mail providing]) ISPs have chosen to 'protect' their users from receiving;

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:15:21 AM -0500:

[eccopro] ADULTS ONLY

1929566298 ( http://seniorfriendfinder.com/go/g793924-pmem ) To: abuse#savvis.net[at]devnull.spamcop.net

1929566287 ( http://seniorfriendfinder.com/go/g793924-pmem ) To: friendfinder[at]stop-spam.org

1929566274 ( 66.163.187.112 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

1929566256 ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eccopro/ ) To: network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com

1929566251 ( 66.163.187.112 ) To: network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:32:55 AM -0500:

[eccopro] ADULTS ONLY

1928527777 ( 66.163.187.112 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

1928527766 ( 66.163.187.112 ) To: network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Monday, September 18, 2006 9:53:03 PM -0500:

[sixth_and_seventh_books_of_moses] Here for who like interracial meet

1927693932 ( http://tomsmile.tripod.com/ ) To: abuse[at]lycos.com

1927693906 ( 66.163.187.112 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

1927693896 ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/interracialrePhot... ) To: network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com

1927693881 ( 66.163.187.112 ) To: network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea how Yahoo techs can sit there and say "it's a SpamCop.net problem' .... when it's obvious that it's the spew coming from their servers that gets other folks upset.

Last Bounced Message

Yahoo has rogue email servers that send spam through them and is why they get listed (they conceal the spam source takin the "wrap" themselves)

The ISP using SpamCop as a block instead of sorting potentail spam to a folder needs to be contacted (try their website) and ask to be whitelisted include the email address of whom you wish to contact

You may get lucky

"Shegirl"

The bottom line is that no matter whether or not *you* are doing any spam reporting, that the sending IPs from the Yahoo system will wind up getting listed on the SCBL for various reasons. So, the best idea is to choose to *receive* your Groups messages at an email address that allows you to "whitelist" the Yahoo messages. You can't base it on the "From" address in the messsages, because that's too variable. You need to use an email address where they support the whitelisting (explicitly alllowing certain emails) of the "Sender:" value or even perhaps the "Envelope Sender" (aka Return Path) from the headers of an email.

I use a SpamCop Email account and can whitelist any of those items, so I never have problems receiving Yahoo Groups. Another choice would be to receive them at a free Yahoo Mail address, but you'd need to check it using a web browser, unless you use a SpamCop email account, which can grab messages from a Yahoo email account and then you can download them using any normal email program.

As for the underlying problem here, I thought that Yahoo made some changes a while back that now reveal and make reportable the sender's IP, but I could be wrong. I've just activated direct mail delivery of my most "active" Yahoo Group subscription as a test so that I can analyze some of the messages.

I also contend that there are SC reporting users who aren't all that careful about what they report and wind up reporting YahooGroups messages on groups to which they are actually subscribed.

However, the IP most recently mentioned in this bloated topic seems to have resulted in spam trap hits, which is not a good indication.

(on edit) Regarding my "test" -- I received two messages from a Yahoo Group and ran them through the SC parser. Here's the first Tracking URL:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1074370694z7...f65f493705a4c4z

The results of that parsing supports my contention that changes have been made that now reveal, and report the true sender of messages sent through Yahoo Groups, because the report complaining about the email source, if sent, wouldn't have gone to the individual ISP of the person who actually sent that message through the group.

Here's the other Tracking URL:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1074365156zc...821d5c86731cacz

The results of the parsing of this second message indicate that the Yahoo server would be the one reported as the email source. I think that the sender of this message was actually logged into the YahooGroups website and sent the message using the web form, so in this parsing report, you'll see an additional header line:

X-Yahoo-Post-IP:

which identifies the IP of the Internet connection the person used to log into the website. Since he/she didn't actually *send* email from a third-party location, this IP is not the one that would be flagged as the origin of the message, which makes sense.

Now, if all of the Yahoo groups required authentication and prevented posting by new members, and also diligently prevented anyone's address from being added to their subscriber list without confirmation/permission, *and* if all SpamCop reporting users were equally diligent in making sure that they never report perceived "spam" from a YahooGroup to which they actually subscribed, then the sending IPs of the YahooGroups servers probably wouldn't wind up on the SCBL, or at least not very often. But this isn't a perfect world, and some of those things aren't happening as they should.

I just received three more Groups emails. Emails sent to/through the YahooGroups *are* being properly formatted by those servers, in that the IP of the true sender *is* in the proper Received line and can be successfully parsed by the SC system. This contradicts some strongly-held beliefs by others posting in this thread, but it's the current truth! Messages sent by those using the YahooGroups website are another thing.

DT

• 2 months later...

Have been reading the pinned notices and a couple of posts. My question/confusion is on how SpamCop became a part of my life 3 days ago, when I have been using e-mail unmolested for a number of years. I have a couple of personal .msn addys, and just created one on yahoo for my organization. Things went swell for a couple of days when replies and new messages on the yahoo started getting blocked. Here are the particulars: first for a reply, second for a new message, and third, copy of what my IT guy at work says is going on.

1) Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following

addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

:

216.9.150.33 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550 mail from 66.196.100.253 refused by SpamCop, see

http://www.spamcop.net

Giving up on 216.9.150.33.

2) Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following

addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

:

Connected to 207.115.36.22 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 550 5.0.0 nlpi044.sbcis.sbc.com Access Denied. To

request removal, send the complete error message, including your ip

addresses, in an E-mail to removeme[at]sbc.sbcglobal.net

:

Connected to 207.115.20.21 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 550 5.0.0 flpvm06.prodigy.net Access Denied. To

request removal, send the complete error message, including your ip

addresses, in an E-mail to removeme[at]sbc.sbcglobal.net

3) This is what I have on those IP addresses. It appears time-warner.net and driftwood.net aren’t playing nice with each other. Those things happen from time to time. Not much I can do, except explain what is going on, because I don’t know why.

Joe

OrgName: Time Warner Telecom, Inc.

Address: 10475 Park Meadows Drive

City: Littleton

StateProv: CO

PostalCode: 80124

Comment:

RegDate: 1999-03-17

Updated: 2006-03-09

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.twtelecom.net:4321

AbuseHandle: TWTAD-ARIN

AbuseName: Time Warner Telecom Abuse Desk

AbusePhone: +1-800-898-6473

AbuseEmail: abuse[at]twtelecom.net

AdminHandle: ZT87-ARIN

AdminName: Time Warner Telecom

AdminPhone: +1-800-898-6473

AdminEmail: ipmanager[at]twtelecom.net

NOCHandle: TDN1-ARIN

NOCName: TWTC Data NOC

NOCPhone: +1-800-898-6473

NOCEmail: support[at]twtelecom.net

TechHandle: NST12-ARIN

TechName: NOC SWIP Team

TechPhone: +1-800-898-6473

TechEmail: swip[at]twtelecom.com

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-12-05 19:10

# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

OrgID: TWTC

Address: 10475 Park Meadows Drive

City: Littleton

StateProv: CO

PostalCode: 80124

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.twtelecom.net:4321

NetRange: 66.192.0.0 - 66.195.255.255

CIDR: 66.192.0.0/14

NetName: TWTC-NETBLK-4

NetHandle: NET-66-192-0-0-1

Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Allocation

NameServer: NS1.MILW.TWTELECOM.NET

NameServer: NS1.IPLT.TWTELECOM.NET

NameServer: NS1.ORNG.TWTELECOM.NET

Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

RegDate: 2001-10-25

Updated: 2004-04-26

RTechHandle: ZT87-ARIN

RTechName: Time Warner Telecom

And on the other IP 216.9.150.33

OrgName: Driftwood Network Service

Address: 4222 East Hector Drive

City: Bloomington

StateProv: IN

PostalCode: 47408

Comment:

RegDate: 2002-01-18

Updated: 2002-01-18

OrgID: DRIF

Address: 4222 East Hector Drive

City: Bloomington

StateProv: IN

PostalCode: 47408

NetRange: 216.9.150.0 - 216.9.150.255

CIDR: 216.9.150.0/24

NetName: DRIFTWOOD-3

NetHandle: NET-216-9-150-0-1

Parent: NET-216-9-128-0-1

NetType: Reallocated

NameServer: NS2.DRIFTWOOD.NET

NameServer: NS5.DRIFTWOOD.NET

Comment:

RegDate: 2002-01-18

Updated: 2002-11-22

RTechHandle: JW1436-ARIN

RTechName: Wray, Jonathan

RTechPhone: +1-812-339-0869

RTechEmail: dnr[at]driftwood.net

I have logged a support request at yahoo, and they say they will get back to me. OH, and none of the IPs listed are the IP of my desktop, laptop nor work's server.

Thanks for any insight!

Remote host said: 550 mail from 66.196.100.253 refused by SpamCop, see

http://www.spamcop.net

Giving up on 216.9.150.33.

From the information you've provided it seems you are sending your Email from yahoo.com. The Yahoo! mail server at 66.196.100.253 is, indeed, currently listed in the SpamCop BL.

Since this is a shared server it would seem that you are sharing it with people who are using it to distribute unsolicited spam Email. The volume of mail passing through that server has reached a level whereby a listing in the SCBL has been triggered. Yahoo! admins have been alerted and are pretty good at dealing with this stuff.

But, in the meantime, the ISPs with whom you are communicating (sbcglobal and driftwood) have decided to reject mail reaching them if the server is listed in the SCBL.

Given the very open nature of the Yahoo! mail servers it is significantly more likely that you will find yourself penalised for sharing the server with someone who is sending out spam. You have raised a ticket with Yahoo! and that may resolve things in due time. But my expectation is that you will find yourself suffering again since this is a shared SMTP mail server.

You may want to make alternative arrangements for outgoing Email.

Andrew

Just to support Andrew's advice, you can check the listing status of that Yahoo server - http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&a...=66.196.100.253

66.196.100.253 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 21 hours.

Causes of listing

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

* SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

Listing History

In the past 42 hours, it has been listed 2 times for a total of 37 hours

Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports

66.196.100.183 66.196.100.185 66.196.100.188 66.196.100.189 66.196.100.214 66.196.100.215 66.196.100.216 66.196.100.217 66.196.100.218 66.196.100.219 66.196.100.220 66.196.100.221 66.196.100.222 66.196.100.223 66.196.100.224 66.196.100.225 66.196.100.226 66.196.100.227 66.196.100.228 66.196.100.229 66.196.100.230 66.196.100.231 66.196.100.232 66.196.100.233 66.196.100.234 66.196.100.235 66.196.100.236 66.196.100.237 66.196.100.242 66.196.100.243 66.196.100.247 66.196.100.248 66.196.100.249 66.196.100.250 66.196.100.251 66.196.100.252 66.196.100.254 66.196.101.1 66.196.101.2 66.196.101.3 66.196.101.4 66.196.101.5 66.196.101.6 66.196.101.7 66.196.101.8 66.196.101.9 66.196.101.10 66.196.101.11 66.196.101.12 66.196.101.13 66.196.101.14 66.196.101.15 66.196.101.16 66.196.101.17 66.196.101.18 66.196.101.19 66.196.101.20 66.196.101.21 66.196.101.22 66.196.101.23 66.196.101.24 66.196.101.25 66.196.101.26 66.196.101.27 66.196.101.28 66.196.101.29 66.196.101.31 66.196.101.32 66.196.101.33 66.196.101.34 66.196.101.35 66.196.101.36 66.196.101.37 66.196.101.38 66.196.101.39 66.196.101.40 66.196.101.41 66.196.101.126 66.196.101.127 66.196.101.144 66.196.101.249 66.196.101.251

Note that server has been listed before, undoubtedly it will be listed again and it is in company with a whole raft of other Yahoo servers, all in the same boat.

In some cases your recipients may be able to whitelist you - that may be what sbcglobal.net was offering, I don't know.

Have been reading the pinned notices and a couple of posts. My question/confusion is on how SpamCop became a part of my life 3 days ago, when I have been using e-mail unmolested for a number of years. I have a couple of personal .msn addys, and just created one on yahoo for my organization. Things went swell for a couple of days when replies and new messages on the yahoo started getting blocked.

Thanks for any insight!

Merged this "mew" Topic into an existing one that seems to cover the situations.

PM sent to advise of this 'new' location.

<snip> But my expectation is that you will find yourself suffering again since this is a shared SMTP mail server.

You may want to make alternative arrangements for outgoing Email.

Andrew

Well, that kind of sucks. Can I expect the same kind of SpamCop BL from a new msn or gmail account?? I appreciate any cyber industry that attempts to reduce spam, but isn't there any refinement youse guys can make that keeps me from getting tarred with the same brush as the spammers using yahoo servers? My new yahoo addy is clean as a whistle, I am a responsible netizen, and my mother-in-law thinks I'm a nice young man. I am going to look like a real jerk if I have to re-email everybody that my organization has ANOTHER new addy because Yahoo servers are corrupted with spammers.

Sorry for whining, but, dagnabit, my 21st Century expectations are not being met.

Respectfully,

Archived