Email blocked

4NP

I'm the webmaster for a non-profit theater group and though I can create web pages have no idea how email works. For the last 4 years we have been emailing our members without issue and send a message to have them update their contact info with us via a webform, every 6 months or so, and have NEVER experienced any problems with sending out our messages.

However, we just started receiving emails stating that we are being blocked by SpamCop but when I check our site's IP address, it says we are not listed. Any idea what could be going on?

I have also tried to contact our ISP, but they are not open on the weekends...

Thanks,

Doreen

Your website IP address is probably not the one that your emails are sent from. They are sent through the server of the web host. Usually that server is used by all the web sites so it may be that some other user is sending spam - either deliberately (probably unlikely because you have not had problems before so your web host does probably take action) or unknowingly because they have been careless or are ignorant about computer safety (very likely - 80% of all spam is sent through zombie machines).

When you post again, you will probably find that your post has been moved. because this thread is not for posting messages, but for reading the first post to see what is happening when you get blocked.

Miss Betsy

If you can post one of the reject messages, we may be able to determine which machine is on the list and therefore where you can complain to. 

Right now we have very little to go on.

25071[/snapback]

Thanks for offering to help. I'm sorry I had posted my request to the wrong place on your site.

Below is what I was sent. Any help/direction you could provide would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Doreen

P.S. To protect the email address of our recipient, I have changed the email address that the message was originally sent to.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail15c.boca15-verio.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<ABC[at]mva.net>:

Connected to 208.243.100.14 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 your server is on the SpamCop Blocking List, see http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml. For further information, see http://www.oitc.com/EIMS/DNSblError.html?D...=BL.SPAMCOP.NET

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <info[at]nashobaplayers.org>

Received: from www.nashobaplayers.org (131.103.198.173)

by mail15c.boca15-verio.com (RS ver 1.0.95vs) with SMTP id 1-1777253246;

Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:34:16 -0500 (EST)

To: <performances[at]nashobaplayers.org>

Subject: Opening Weekend: The Sisters Rosenweig

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:40:47 -0500

Message-ID: <CJEKIBOPHGKMJOPECOOPGEFFCFAA.info[at]nashobaplayers.org>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2911.0)

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106

Importance: Normal

X-Loop-Detect:1

The Sisters Rosenweig by Wendy Wasserstein

Cabaret Seating: March 4, 5, 11, 12, 2005 [at] 8PM

Parish Center for the Arts, Westford

$12/NP & PCA Members, NP Season Subscribers, Children, & Seniors

$14/Non-members

Ticket purchase options:

Purchase tickets online

(https://web5.mkat.com/mktixrun/shared/mknporun?dir=mvedc.MKT-50.NP-975&Even

t=NP-975&page=geteventsfrm.jsp)

Don't feel comfortable making purchases online? Reserve tickets online line

and pay at the door (www.nashobaplayers.org/tickets_form.htm)

Buy your tickets at the door.

Director: Harriet Friedman

Producer: Julie Silton

Cast:

"Sara" - Cynthia Soumoff of Acton

"Pfenie" - Leslie Wagner of Carlisle

"Gorgeous" - Gail Held of Chelmsford

"Tess" - Kate Hanselman fo Acton

"Mervyn" - Steven Friedman of Waltham

"Geoffrey" - Chuck Hollerman of Carlisle

"Nicholas" - Tim Greenwood of Westford

"Tom" - Kenny Vennard of Fitchburg

Winner of the NY Outer Critics Circle award for Best Broadway Play. The play

is a wonderful family portrait of three loving sisters and their partners

reuniting after a lengthy separation for the oldest sister’s fifty-forth

birthday. Needless to say she isn’t too happy about it. The play leads to a

captivating evening of unexpected romance, suspected parting, recrimination,

reconciliation and above all, newfound love and acceptance.

Thanks for offering to help. I'm sorry I had posted my request to the wrong place on your site.

Below is what I was sent. Any help/direction you could provide would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Doreen

P.S. To protect the email address of our recipient, I have changed the email address that the message was originally sent to.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail15c.boca15-verio.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<ABC[at]mva.net>:

Connected to 208.243.100.14 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 your server is on the SpamCop Blocking List, see http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml. For further information, see http://www.oitc.com/EIMS/DNSblError.html?D...=BL.SPAMCOP.NET

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <info[at]nashobaplayers.org>

Received: from www.nashobaplayers.org (131.103.198.173)

by mail15c.boca15-verio.com (RS ver 1.0.95vs) with SMTP id 1-1777253246;

25083[/snapback]

There's the problem: your email is being sent out from a very misconfigured/spammy neighbouhood. mail15c.boca15-verio.com resolves to 131.1.0.218.142:

Query bl.spamcop.net - 131.103.218.142

(Help) (Trace IP) (Senderbase lookup)

131.103.218.142 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 9 hours.

Causes of listing

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

* SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

* It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

Not that it helps you, but here is another thread of a person using verio withthe same problem (using a different server)

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=25068

Also, right now:

Statistics:

131.103.218.142 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

However, if someone hit the delist immediately without fixing the problem, it will make it harder to remove the next time it is listed.

Below is what I was sent.

From analyzing what you posted, I don't think the headers are correct, in that they are not showing the Received line that should reflect the IP address of the Verio server that actually tried to deliver your message to the recipient at mva.net. Most servers that bounce messages due to listings in the SpamCop BL give the specific IP in the error message, but the mva.net system apparently doesn't do that.

I belive that the missing Received line would identify the "mail15c" server as the problem, IP: 131.1.0.218.142, and not your domain IP address. The ".142" IP is once again listed on the SCBL, most likely due to improper handling of bounces (which are winding up in spam traps). Unless I'm mistaken, your domain IP, 131.103.198.173, is probably not the one that's actually seen by receiving systems as the source.

DT

The "missing" Received Header Line would have been generated by mail.mva.net [208.243.100.14] had the message been accepted, but it was not because the message was rejected.

The "missing" Received Header Line would have been generated by mail.mva.net [208.243.100.14] had the message been accepted, but it was not because the message was rejected.

Ah...yes. That's why it would have been helpful if mva.net had formatted their SCBL rejection verbage to include the IP in question. I'll bet that the OP wound up looking up their "www" IP instead of the shared mailhost.

DT

Archived