Page not found

Hi,

I have a puzzle and need help. I use my Spamcop web mail as my primary account. Got an important email that has a pdf attached. I can read the body but anything to do with attachment forget it, I just get a "page not found" error (in IE) or a bank page showing "done" in Firefox when I try any of the save options. Assuming this was an outage I have now been trying for the past two days to read/forward the email without success. I get the same page not found when I try to forward the mail to my work account.

I really need this email.

I thought maybe the system was down, however on the home screen the "news from last 24 hours" has nothing to click on and "old news" shows me an empty page.

What's going on? Any ideas?

Regards

ChrisC.

Sorry, I was unable to verify your claim using OE6 to send a test PDF file to my SpamCop.net account and read it in Webmail using OE6SP1 and Firefox 1.0.3.

Clicking on the filename Link in either location opened my file for me with the Adobe Reader helper in a new window, where I was able to save from either the helper's floppy disk icon or the browser's File Menu. Right-clicking and trying to save the Link as the attachment doesn't work in Webmail.

Clicking on the "Download All Attachments (in .zip file)" Link opened a download or open Dialog Box for attachments, which contained a true copy of my file.

Please try accessing the file you need using POP, IMAP, and/or a faster connection or computer. Thanks!

Hi,

I appreciate the effort, thanks. However not much help as I've tried from both home and work now and get the same result. I'm using a different ISP from each and a different O/S and browser. So it is a problem with SpamCop I think.

Regards

ChrisC.

I appreciate the effort, thanks. However not much help as I've tried from both home and work now and get the same result. I'm using a different ISP from each and a different O/S and browser. So it is a problem with SpamCop I think.

28174[/snapback]

Perhaps your attachment is much larger than mine, which is only 104 KBytes, and Webmail is just timing out on accessing your attachment. How big is it?

In addition to my previous suggestions, you may also contact JT, the SpamCop Email System Administrator, via web at http://mail.spamcop.net/contact.php or via email at support <at> spamcop.net.

Have you tried an other pdf attachment? There is a chanch that the attachment you received had been damaged in some way during the trip to you. Just a thought. Your received file is what is common to all your apps and different from your experience and Jeff's.

28174[/snapback]

Have you tried anything other than webmail?

Do you have any way of trying to access the message another way? Either POP (leave the original on the server if you want) or IMAP to pull the document to your local machine?

Have you tried http://mail2web.com/ ?

Use your email address: username<at>spamcop.net and your account password.

I have used them for testing only but it should work.

Have you tried anything other than webmail?

Do you have any way of trying to access the message another way?  Either POP (leave the original on the server if you want) or IMAP to pull the document to your local machine?

Have you tried http://mail2web.com/ ?

Use your email address: username<at>spamcop.net and your account password.

I have used them for testing only but it should work.

28178[/snapback]

Plan to try that tonight when I get home. Rather a pain though as I use my Spamcop account as web-mail only.

Plan to try that tonight when I get home. Rather a pain though as I use my Spamcop account as web-mail only.

28181[/snapback]

You could try mail2web from the same places you could use webmail. It is a webmail client for pop accounts. And this would only to get you through this trouble spopt. It is not a permanent fix I an reccommending.

Just a small note ... a 10Meg file via e-mail can be a problem by itself ... a number of ISPs and e-mail applications still cap the size of an e-mail (a popular number is 2 Meg, going back to that being a rounded up number large enough to handle the entire contents of a 3.5" floppy) ... FTP was the tool devised for large file transfers, the next option was to post the file on a web page for HTTP access (if FTP not available) ... there is the possibility that the file is actually hosed ....

the size is :- 10,056KB

28179[/snapback]

My testing has revealed the following so far, sorted by Attachment Size in KB in Webmail:
  • 104 OK
  • 670 OK
  • 1,743 OK
  • 2,548 OK
  • 3.048 OK
  • 4,233 File OK, Zip Bad
  • 5,466 Bad
  • 10,056 Bad
  • 11,322 Bad

My testing has revealed the following so far, sorted by Attachment Size in KB in Webmail:
  • 104 OK
  • 670 OK
  • 5,466 Bad
  • 10,056 Bad
  • 11,322 Bad

28185[/snapback]

Hi Jeff,

(And pretty much everyone else :) First my sincere thanks for all the replies. It's much appreciated. This has been really frustrating. So Geff you've seem to have hit the nail on the head, "Page not found" doesn't quite seem an elegant solution to a large file issue does it? I've looked around and I can't see any limit specified anywhere. Given that people send large files all the time, this is a bit err...well..poo..would be an apt description. Especially as I get Spamcop to pick up my mail from my other accounts, which do not have such tiny limits. Sad think is that what I've been set is a set of tech drawings for extractor fan, quite how this ends up at 10MB without any MS word involvement I've no idea.

Now I've finally arrived home I plan to see if I can rescue the file with one of the many methods suggested above. I’ll let you all know the outcome. Once again thanks to everyone that has responded, I appreciate this eats up your valuable time.

Regards

ChrisC.

P.S. Should I be kicking someone at Spamcop for this? :)

Just a small note ... a 10Meg file via e-mail can be a problem by itself ...  a number of ISPs and e-mail applications still cap the size of an e-mail (a popular number is 2 Meg, going back to that being a rounded up number large enough to handle the entire contents of a 3.5" floppy) ... FTP was the tool devised for large file transfers, the next option was to post the file on a web page for HTTP access (if FTP not available) ... there is the possibility that the file is actually hosed ....

28184[/snapback]

Appreciate that and the reply Wazoo, I would have prefered FTP. The problem is I asked a company to send me the tech drawings of an extractor fan I need to repair. Not in a million years did I expect it to come out at 10MB, (why would it?) however it took me weeks to persuade them to part with the thing (as I'm not in the trade) and I'm not about to let it go :) The kind of company it is, I would be a very old man by the time they posted it to an FTP site :(

I also have to say, despite the size, it's a bit poor of Spamcop to just throw up a random FNF page. IMH if we have a size limit they should a) Make it clear (and somewhere we can actually find it) :), B) Throw up a reasonable error page and c) Reject incoming email that exceeds the limit.

All the test files came down fine with IMAP.

28196[/snapback]

Hi, this is to everyone else who replied. Finally got the file via both IMAP and various of the other suggested methods :) So a huge thanks to everyone.

I did have the problem with data transfer though. The server seem to freeze and boot me off on occasion. Took about 10 tries.

The question in the end though remains the same. What exatly is the problem at the spam cop end?

Regards and many thanks,

ChrisC.

I also have to say, despite the size, it's a bit poor of Spamcop to just throw up a random FNF page. IMH if we have a size limit they should a) Make it clear (and somewhere we can actually find it)  :), B) Throw up a reasonable error page and c) Reject incoming email that exceeds the limit.

28188[/snapback]

1. I think it is likely that the operation is simply timing out which is what is causing the error. There is no size limit, pre se. Ac far as c) above, many people do not use webmail and simply forward all messages through spamcop's filters to another account and never see this problem. It is likely the "limit" is dependant on the connection speed, and platform being used with 2 MB being a "practical limit".

My own testing shows:

2668 KB pdf attachment-worked

5110 KB pdf attachment-worked

5789 KB pdf attachment-worked (largest pdf file I have available)

I have a 3MB download cable connection and am using Acrobat reader 7. I don't know how these things compare to your configuration. I will test larger ones if people want to send them, but that will not help your situation.

Archived