New user

Bobbert

Hi,

I am a new user and am hoping to benefit from you experienced users. I set myself up as a mole as it appeared the safer way to go........not sure now? When reporting spam, i supply the IP address of the sender only......again, not sure i'm doing this correctly? In Spamcop, there's a facilty to view your reports, however, when i do so, it's empty even though i've reported many spamers?

Any help you can provide to get me on the right track to using Spamcop would be appreciated.

Hi,

I am a new user and am hoping to benefit from you experienced users. I set myself up as a mole as it appeared the safer way to go........not sure now? When reporting spam, i supply the IP address of the sender only......again, not sure i'm doing this correctly? In Spamcop, there's a facilty to view your reports, however, when i do so, it's empty even though i've reported many spamers?

Any help you can provide to get me on the right track to using Spamcop would be appreciated.

29310[/snapback]

You need to supply the entire spam, not just the IP address of the sender. SpamCop can't verify the spam when you just submit an IP address.

Hi, Bobbert!

...Did you read the FAQ entry, "What is mole reporting?" If I read it correctly, as a mole you will never be sending reports.

Some users may wish to file reports, and get themselves removed from any spammer's list who is sophisticated enough to remove them (and take the risk of retaliation). Others may wish to take advantage of this new SpamCop feature and become a "mole." SpamCop will then only give information about these "mole" reports as aggregate and unspecific totals.

I set myself up as a mole as it appeared the safer way to go........not sure now?

The last publicly released data on the results of Mole Reporting accounts is in a post in the Announcements section. Bottom line, an actual "report" is not sent anywhere.

When reporting spam, i supply the IP address of the sender only......again, not sure i'm doing this correctly?

This implies that you are using the "single-item lookup" entry 'feature' of the "paste your sruff in the box" web-form. This has nothing to do with generating a "report" on anything.

In Spamcop, there's a facilty to view your reports, however, when i do so, it's empty even though i've reported many spamers?

Lack of historical Report data .. see the above ...

need more help .... Forum FAQ, How to use .... Forum Section, the thousands of previous posts within this Forum structure .... kind of lost in what to specifically to suggest, based on wondering where you picked up the original concept of complaining about a spam by "only providing an IP address" ...????

Did you read the FAQ entry, "What is mole reporting?"  If I read it correctly, as a mole you will never be sending reports.

29326[/snapback]

You read it correctly.

Trust me, the point on whether a report is sent or not can be terribly confusing to a novice mole. The fact is the *process* and the terminology used in forms, email confirmations, are just *like* sending a report.

Whether responding to the confirmation email for forwarded spam (SpamCop has accepted x emails for processing ... "Use links to finish spam reporting (members use cookie-login please!):", or working from the member paste-in form ("Send spam Reports Now"), once the spam has been processed the steps to conclude the process are just like sending a report - except there are no check boxes to suppress sending to nominated ISP/hosts (but mention of these boxes appears below the "Send spam Reports Now" button to further confuse the newcomer).

We moles can even "Preview Reports" prior to "Reporting". And, as the OP knows, we can review "Past Reports" - there actually is content in there once the process has been succesfully concluded (or a "report cancelled" notation if that button was pressed instead of the send reports one).

The rest of the facts are, no spammer or spam host can see the mole's details (because the actual report is scrapped) and mole reporting supports the SCBL and contributes to the generalized statistics which SpamCop may make available to a spam host (because the relevant detail - at least as far as the IP address of the spam originator goes - has been recorded in passing).

It remains to be said that moles, like any other members, can use the details revealed along the way (or on review of "Past Reports") to send their own, manual, reports/complaints to responsible authorities when and if so inclined.

If this all seems a little obvious to some readers, they may have forgotten their own learning curves (or they may be an improbable number of sigmas above mu).

You need to supply the entire spam, not just the IP address of the sender. SpamCop can't verify the spam when you just submit an IP address.

29311[/snapback]

When you say "entire spam", what exactly do you mean? The entire E-mail or all the data shown when one views the message source?

Hi, Bobbert!

...Did you read the FAQ entry, "What is mole reporting?"  If I read it correctly, as a mole you will never be sending reports.

Some users may wish to file reports, and get themselves removed from any spammer's list who is sophisticated enough to remove them (and take the risk of retaliation). Others may wish to take advantage of this new SpamCop feature and become a "mole." SpamCop will then only give information about these "mole" reports as aggregate and unspecific totals.

29326[/snapback]

I set myself up as a mole to avoid retaliation. How realistic a threat is this? How do most SPAMCOP users set themselves up and what has been the experience w.r.t. retaliation?

When you say "entire spam", what exactly do you mean? The entire E-mail or all the data shown when one views the message source?

29361[/snapback]

That depends on your email application. The Forum FAQ at the top of this page has a link entitled:

How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email?

-----> See also the tutorials in the How to use .... > SpamCop Reporting section

If your email app is not listed there, post it here and someone will usually have experience with it.

I set myself up as a mole to avoid retaliation. How realistic a threat is this?

The concensus seems to be that the risk is not great - use the search facility at the head of the page to check on the theme. Here's one such search (forums, "retaliation"):

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&lr=...rum.spamcop.net

Also search the newsgroups and search on "munge" to quickly canvass the scene. This will give you a fair idea of the perceived threat level.

Archived