Mailhost Gmail Problem

Hi,

I have started sending my ISP (MindSpring/Earthlink) to Gmail instead of straight to SpamCop and now SpamCop doesn't want to report it. I have it so SpamCop pops my mail from Gmail and some of the spam gets through gmail's filters. So just today I tried to report two pieces of spam using quick report and they were came up with the following error:

Processing spam:   From: govanw[at]fl.asn.au
   Subject: Re: Hi, great news Pvharrmacy

0: Received: from unknown (HELO c60.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.105) by blade1.cesmail.net with SMTP; 13 Sep 2005 13:07:46 -0000
   Internal handoff at SpamCop

1: Received: from mailgate.cesmail.net ([216.154.195.36]) by c60.cesmail.net with ESMTP; 13 Sep 2005 09:07:46 -0400
   Hostname verified: mailgate.cesmail.net
   SpamCop received mail from Hotmail ( 216.154.195.36 )

2: Received: from gmail-pop.l.google.com [66.249.83.109] by mailgate.cesmail.net with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.1) for scc4fun[at]spamcop.net (single-drop); Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:07:45 -0400 (EDT)
   No unique hostname found for source: 66.249.83.109
   Hotmail received mail from sending system 66.249.83.109

3: Received: from degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net (degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net [207.69.200.237]) by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id 11si614019wrl.2005.09.13.06.02.48; Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:02:49 -0700 (PDT)
   Hostname verified: degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net
   warning:Possible forgery.  Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts   Will not trust anything beyond this header
   error:You have failed to configure your own mail host, from which you pop mail   Mailhost:  ( 66.249.83.109 )
   Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam
   error:No IP found

The odd thing is that I look in my mailhost configuration for mindspring and it lists degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net by name. I would assume that the problem is with the gmail-pop server then.

Is there any fix to this?

Sean C.

The odd thing is that I look in my mailhost configuration for mindspring and it lists degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net by name. I would assume that the problem is with the gmail-pop server then.

Is there any fix to this?

32662[/snapback]

My reading of the error is that you have not registered/completed registration of a mailhost for gmail.com

Received: from degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net (degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net [207.69.200.237]) by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id 11si614019wrl.2005.09.13.06.02.48; Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hostname verified: degraw.mail.atl.earthlink.net

warning:Possible forgery.  Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts Will not trust anything beyond this header

My reading of the error is that you have not registered/completed registration of a mailhost for gmail.com

32666[/snapback]

...Might it be that GMail has several outgoing servers and Sean C. configured MailHosts with a different one or GMail added a new server (IP address 66.249.83.109) to its farm of outgoing servers? If one of these is the case, I think it might be that Sean C. simply has to ask the SpamCop deputies (deputies <at> spamcop <dot> net) to add this server manually.

I concur that the current symptom is that Mailhosts doesn't understand how the SpamCop Email System is POPping from Gmail. However, given that there may be multiple POP server names involved, JT and the Deputies may have to coordinate with each other on this.

Of course, two workarounds are to send Manual Reports and to report such spam using accounts not configured to use Mailhosts.

My guess would be since there was a recent change at his Earthlink account, it use to forward direct to SpamCop, now it forwards to GMail.

Also a change in his SpamCop account to POP from GMail.

The proper procedure would be to register the GMail account first and then Register the Earthlink Account.

My guess is that this has not been done.

Actually the first host to be registered should be SpamCop email address.

I find line 1 a but odd also ....

1: Received: from mailgate.cesmail.net ([216.154.195.36]) by c60.cesmail.net with ESMTP; 13 Sep 2005 09:07:46 -0400

Hostname verified: mailgate.cesmail.net

SpamCop received mail from Hotmail ( 216.154.195.36 )

How'd Hotmail get involved, especially as the conversation only includes gmail, earthlink, and SpamCop servers?

I think I'd rather see a Tracking URL, as I don't think I believe what I'm seeing in the example. (Though agreeing that the MailHost configuration is more than likely not constructed as the e-mail is actually handled.)

How'd Hotmail get involved

32675[/snapback]

Not Hotmail per se, just the name given to Mailhost mailgate.cesmail.net [216.154.195.36]. A Deputy or SpamCop Admin should clean up that cosmetic issue with Mailhosts.

Not Hotmail per se, just the name given to Mailhost mailgate.cesmail.net [216.154.195.36].  A Deputy or SpamCop Admin should clean up that cosmetic issue with Mailhosts.

32687[/snapback]

Because every MH setup mail comes from a cesmail server, the handoff from SC shows up in every one. Somewhere along the line that IP ended up in a bunch of different records for Hotmail, MSN and Yahoo.

I took it out so it now only shows up in the SpamCop/Cesmail record. Hopefully it didn't break anything.

Richard

My guess would be since there was a recent change at his Earthlink account, it use to forward direct to SpamCop, now it forwards to GMail.

Also a change in his SpamCop account to POP from GMail.

The proper procedure would be to register the GMail account first and then Register the Earthlink Account.

My guess is that this has not been done.

Actually the first host to be registered should be SpamCop email address.

32673[/snapback]

I had already registered both my Earthlink account and my Gmail account. However, that was before the change. I looked into the mailhost configuration that the IP shown for the pop server was not in the config and so I deleted my Gmail config and have readded it and waited for spamcop to pop the confirmations so that SC would capture that bit of data (i.e. the gmail's pop server).

As a side note the cesmail server being identiifed in mailhosts as Hotmail was apparent from nearly day one. I guess the first person who registered their mailhosts did so with a hotmail account coming to SC.

Archived